JD 316 3-Point Hitch Build

Well it still lives. I pulled the starter and saw some bushing slop. Remembered I had another starter off a P220. I swapped the bendix over and put it on. Luckily the block had mounting for this type of starter. Put it all back together and back in the tractor. Stuck in a 235 CCA battery and she came to life, albeit not greatly. She likes to spit and sputter. Occasionally farts to. But it runs again!

The one JD 317 that I have running & driving smokes pretty good when cold. Hoping once I have time to run it a while that after an oil change and some MMO that it will smoke less. I have no intention of rebuilding it, and plan to sell it next year. It runs great with no other issues, no knocks, or rattles at all.

I've got some MMO in the oil right now. Probably need to change it. I have the adapter to put an oil filter on it, just not ready to do that if it needs rebuilt!

Nice find!
Will it have to be modified to work on the 317?
I don't think so. Just saves some fab work on my end! Took some pics when I got it home. Lower arms are 1/2" thick. DSCN4316.JPG

Also got a battery holder and a piece for the mower wheels!
DSCN4317.JPG

May have paid too much, but I don't have to buy steel and fab those parts now! Cost me $80.

I agree, that was a super sweet price! Saved a ton of work, plus the cost of the components to build.

[QUOTE}
View attachment 7108
[/QUOTE]

I just noticed that the tractor behind this JD you are working on looks like a MTD eight hundred but the rear fenders are gone. I mowed with one of them over 25 years. It's still out in a shed and would probably fire up with a little tinkering. It got retired about 12 years ago.

DAC

Attachments

• UncleBill1.jpg
    UncleBill1.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 9
That was a steal!
I thought so.

I just noticed that the tractor behind this JD you are working on looks like a MTD eight hundred but the rear fenders are gone. I mowed with one of them over 25 years. It's still out in a shed and would probably fire up with a little tinkering. It got retired about 12 years ago.

DAC[/QUOTE]
It is! Fenders are off at the moment. It's Steves MTD. Cool tractor, I'd like to build a 3-point for it and find a 6" plow just for looks!

I may go tomorrow and get a stick of 3/8" X 2" bar for the upper lift arms. Supposed to rain, so that gives me some fab time. Lots of holes to drill and parts to cut!

Got the bar stock and started working on it. Layed out the first pieces and drilled a 1" hole through.
DSCN4331.JPG

Split that down the center of the hole which gave me 4 parts.
DSCN4332.JPG

Cut 2 more to size and marked for the remaining holes.
DSCN4333.JPG

All drilled holes finished.
DSCN4334.JPG

Found the dimension for the 2 cross pieces and cut them. the piece to the right is what is left from a 3' piece of bar stock.
DSCN4335.JPG

Time to grind bevels where needed and weld things together.

Got out this morning and got one side clamped up for welding.
DSCN4336.JPG DSCN4337.JPG

Got it welded and did the other one. The balls swivel quite nicely on there!
DSCN4338.JPG

Then I pulled the tractor rockshaft to figure placement and how to hold these for welding. Gonna be tricky!
DSCN4339.JPG

Here's the drawing layout for the arms.
318 3-point4.jpg

Last edited:
More updates! Took a bit to find a correct angle to weld this at. But I finally found what I wanted.
DSCN4340.JPG DSCN4341.JPG

I welded the one side then located and did the other. In the narrow area, I used 1/8" 6013 rod from the arc welder. Knew the mig wouldn't get in there.
DSCN4342.JPG

Then I located the center link mount and got it welded in.
DSCN4343.JPG DSCN4344.JPG

Now some paint!
DSCN4345.JPG

Should be able to put it back in the tractor tomorrow.

I need to make the adjusting bolts and some pins up for this to attach together. I'm going to use 5/8" all thread for the bolts. Can't see paying $15 each at JD and I don't think 5.5 inch bolts would have enough thread length.
318 3-Point layout.jpg

Back