Kohler base pans question.

Propane1

Tractorologist
I have a LGT 165 Ford that at the moment has a 12 hp k301 kohler in it. I would like to, some day, put a 16 hp k341 kohler in it to make it sort of original again and give the tractor the power needed to run a snowblower. When I got it it had the 12 in it. So I don’t know if the base pan even fits a 16 if I find a motor.
I did have a 14 hp k321 kohler in it at one time.
Any ideas, pictures or diagrams would help.
So what I am wondering is, will any 16 hp k341 kohler fit, even if it’s out of some thing else other than a ford.

Thanks, Noel.

I have a LGT 165 Ford that at the moment has a 12 hp k301 kohler in it. I would like to, some day, put a 16 hp k341 kohler in it to make it sort of original again and give the tractor the power needed to run a snowblower. When I got it it had the 12 in it. So I don’t know if the base pan even fits a 16 if I find a motor.
I did have a 14 hp k321 kohler in it at one time.
Any ideas, pictures or diagrams would help.
So what I am wondering is, will any 16 hp k341 kohler fit, even if it’s out of some thing else other than a ford.

Thanks, Noel.
Noel most Kohler K series are big pan engines but some are small pan engines such as used in Cub,Case,and Deere.
Even some Wheel Horse used small pan engines.
Most all Wheel Horse from 1961 until 2007 used the big pan but for a short time,1978-1984 even Wheel Horse used the small pan.
Now here's where it gets interesting.
Most small pan engines will not except the big pan because those blocks were cast without the "ears" on each end of the block that mounts the big pan,but there is an exception ! Deere.
Deere used a small oil pan but they used the blocks with the "ears" cast into each end of the block that the big pan bolts to.
Deere used those ears to mount the engine in the tractors. So you CAN pull a Kohler out of a Deere,pull the small pan off and bolt a big pan on it.
As far as what size engine fits what size: All the 10 thru 16 hp Kohler K series cast iron singles (gear drive starter engines) are physically the the same size on the outside. The blower housing/tin will interchange and so will the oil pans.
Going back a little farther,the starter generator engines,most if not all,have a smaller flywheel.
In short as long as the 10 thru 16 (actually 18 if you count the seldom heard from K361) have the "ears" cast into the end of the block they will take any big pan from a 10-18 hp K series single.
On another note while some blocks won't take a big pan,any block will take a small pan. On some you might have to tap the holes for the small pan if they aren't there.

If I remember right some of the blocks were even different between Deere, wheel horse, ford and cub?

Edit: This post on the other site posted by Brian shows some pictures of different blocks and his observations on oil pans.

I put a wide base K341 out of an AC 416 in my closed side Ford. The smaller (Ford) pan fit fine as the ears on the block were not open.

On the AC engine, the holes were already threaded for the Ford pan to fit!

From what I remember, thats what I need to fit in the ford. I know it has those brackets for the rubber mounts, and the block and pan pictures look like what I have in there now on the 12 hp k301. Thanks Kenny.

Noel

From what I remember, thats what I need to fit in the ford. I know it has those brackets for the rubber mounts, and the block and pan pictures look like what I have in there now on the 12 hp k301. Thanks Kenny.

Noel
Noel see two farthest out holes on each side of the block ? That's the "ears" I'm talking about that mounts the big pan. Not all blocks have those.

A 361 would be neat to put in. Only ever saw one here in my area. And that was about 5 years ago.

Noel

This is the base from the 14 hp k321 that was in the tractor once upon a time. So then the mounts go on the engine for the rubber mounts.
Would this base be the same as a 16 hp k 341. ?

Noel

Attachments

• D56D1A7C-958D-4F56-AFC8-C04A1A706888.jpeg
    D56D1A7C-958D-4F56-AFC8-C04A1A706888.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 9F0B8489-11CD-4391-A06D-345C751A97B7.jpeg
    9F0B8489-11CD-4391-A06D-345C751A97B7.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 8
Back