Kohler base pans question.

This is the base from the 14 hp k321 that was in the tractor once upon a time. So then the mounts go on the engine for the rubber mounts.
Would this base be the same as a 16 hp k 341. ?

Noel
According to the parts list for both engine, they are the same!

Well since that 14 was in the tractor at one point then it must have the same base a the original 16 that was in the tractor, finding a block with the right base isnt too hard but you do need to find one with the correct crankchaft output end for the elec pto, or if its salvagable you can use the 14 crankshaft and put it in the 16 block.

just an fyi.... in my experience the 16s are more prone to busting conn rods than the 10/12/14 are, it can happen to any of them, but just seems more common with the 341s and the larger piston.

So, I need to find me an engine. thanks guys.

Noel

I still have the 14 hp which broke the rod, I just have not fixed it yet.

personally... I would not look for a used 341, unless you plan to rebuild it, I would find a good 10/12/14 and rebuild it, even a 241 when rebuilt has more usable hp than a tired 40 yr old 341. According to the puller tractor fans the most popular block to rebuild is the 301.

Well I do plan on rebuilding the 16 if I ever get one. I have heard that about the 301's , they are the most popular for pullers. I think they can be modified easily to make power.

Noel

I have one those 165s here right now with a busted rod, third one Ive seen. The first one I put in a 14, second one I put in a 16 from a MF 1650... this last one will sit until an appropriate engine comes along.

I think... the 16s have more issues for two reasons... the piston is heavier and the cylinder walls are thinner which makes them run hotter, a great engine when it was new and tight but after 40 yrs they tend to have some issues. Finding a 341 that is rebuildable might be tricky since they can only go to a 30 over bore to the cylinder.

You might be better off rebuilding the 321 that you have

Is the 16 block a bit bigger than a 14 block, if so, would it be thick enough cylinder wall to run at correct temperature. The reason I say this is, the 16 block is a 10 bolt block to attach the head, 10/12/14 blocks are only nine bolt. Compression is the same in all blocks or about the same.

Noel

The blocks are the same except for being drilled for the 10 bolt head, which is also why you cant bore out a 341, the cyl walls are already thin because they are bored for the 3.75 piston.

Back