Lost TD24 - Anyone see this video?

Very interesting had to look up where it was it about 100 mile straight north of me one has to wonder about the stry behi but it happens
nd its going down in the swamp what were they doing/thinking it happens

Very interesting had to look up where it was it about 100 mile straight north of me one has to wonder about the stry behi but it happens
nd its going down in the swamp what were they doing/thinking it happens

I was wondering what the story was also and how long ago. Wonder if they drove out on the frozen bog/swamp and broke thru the ice. The old military paint looks pretty good for being submerged in a swamp.

GB, are you going to make a road trip to see if they have it running next summer?

I don't know for sure about going to see it but may as its interesting I thought I heard it was submerged for 40 yrs and yes the paint looked good I was thinking the the hood etc was probably very good also until it got hooded with the Hoe bucket. I'm thinking also that it got driven out on the swamp in the winter time and went thur actually it looks like a muskeg swamp maybe they were running small tractors over that area and got caught?? Just speculation

It is the oxygen in the air that causes the damage on submerged items. Along the line of falling through. Years ago I worked for the State Parks. We were building fish shelters in a lake. Had about 20" of good blue ice. I was running the dozer pushing trees to the brush pile to be sunk. Trees was cut from the shore line to be rip rapped later. Made one pass to many and the dozer dropped through - ker-plunk. Luckily it landed with the rear end on on stump and the blade on another . I made a slap for the throttle and bailed. when the fan started to throw water someone would have to go out and put the blade clear down. Finally gave up , shut it down, cables, dead men 2 other dozers it made its way to shore. It started an ran. Loaded it up and headed for a heated building to start checking for weater, and there was plenty.

My Army reserve unit went to Cape May NJ one year to help the Coast Guard station out there. One thing they wanted us to do was to see if we could make some room in their dredge pit. Dirt was a nice black color, looked nice and dry, with cracks running through it. One of the guys hopped on one of our D7G's and proceeded to track into it. He got about twenty feet in and the dozer sank to the operators platform. Luckly one of our JD 230LC excavators was on site. D7 had a winch on the back, so they cabled fast to the hoe on the bank and winched itself out. I had to leave for a bit and when I got back I found out the same guy tried to take the excavator in, at the SAME spot and got that stuck too. It took the D7 and a Cat 420 backhoe to get that out. The guy had to wash both vehicles by himself at the site and then at the post wash rack.

Seen the vid but didn't really understand why they were doing it lol. If they pulled it up to restore surely there must be others above ground that would be better candidates?
You are right a TD24 could be bought possibly restored for less money but how many have the back story of being in a swamp for how ever many years it was and that a bunch of guys went out with dirt augers drilled until they found it and then busted thur the ice and frozen dirt in the winter and attached chains to it while under water and so on
Also it sounded like in the video that a lot o the help work etc was donated

Just saw this on Youtube. Thought some of you may want to see it.

That's really interesting, thanks for sharing it. Gotta wonder just how much money is going to be invested in getting it going, and how far are they going with it, a full restoration?
The gearboxes must have been full of water after 43 years. I was surprised to see that the tracks were actually rolling when they were pulling it down the trail to be loaded onto the trailer.
It would be interesting to see how much water actually got into it.

Rick

Yep seen that one. 'Heavy Rescue 401' and 'Highway through Hell' are two great rescue type shows on the Weather Channel. Some of the feats they accomplish with those heavy rotators and wreckers is amazing.

Yep seen that one. 'Heavy Rescue 401' and 'Highway through Hell' are two great rescue type shows on the Weather Channel. Some of the feats they accomplish with those heavy rotators and wreckers is amazing.
I didn't realize that was a clip from a show. I thought it was just someone documenting the recovery of the dozer from its resting place in the swamp.
I've seen those shows before, just don't watch regularly. During the summer when I get daylight for 16 hours a day, I'm out doing things 16 hours a day, and when I come inside, I hit the lounge chair and I'm out like a light.
I just happened to be looking around on the site for info on my tractor when I saw this.

Rick

Back