MF 1450

Nice day today, and stayed nice until I got home from work! Opened the overhead door, fired up the K321, let it warm up a minute and got this far out of the shop before it died!
DSCN4274.JPG

Well no need to panic----it ran out of gas---LOL! Problem is that I haven't filled my gas cans yet. Probably scared of what 91 non-ethanol costs! I'll get them filled this weekend. Still think I was hearing a little "rattle" sound occasionally, but my bad hearing can't tell for sure, or where it's coming from.

Shoved it back in the shop and put the hood on it.
DSCN4273.JPG DSCN4275.JPG

Couldn't put Daniel's spool valve cover on yet, since the cap was on back order at one place and just recently got my money back. I will try Jack's now and start looking for the o-rings to rebuild the spool valve. I'm behind on some other stuff so it may not be right away.

DAC

Great that you got it out. Gas does help them run. Happened to me last week end. Went to start the John Deere, so we could get the MF 16 in, and only would run if I kept the choke on. Thought, that’s kinda weird. Then all of a sudden, ahhhhh. Out of gas I bet. And sure enough that’s what is was. It had not run since January I think.
Any way. Don’t worry about the noise Doug. Run it for a bit. Change the oil again. See what happens.

Noel

Great that you got it out. Gas does help them run. Happened to me last week end. Went to start the John Deere, so we could get the MF 16 in, and only would run if I kept the choke on. Thought, that’s kinda weird. Then all of a sudden, ahhhhh. Out of gas I bet. And sure enough that’s what is was. It had not run since January I think.
Any way. Don’t worry about the noise Doug. Run it for a bit. Change the oil again. See what happens.

Noel
Yeah the gas is a good idea, Noel---LOL! Ran probably 4 minutes! I too pulled the choke and it ran a bit better, briefly.
That's the plan run it for a while and keep checking the condition of the oil and change it again soon.

Thanks for your support!

DAC

Nice day today, and stayed nice until I got home from work! Opened the overhead door, fired up the K321, let it warm up a minute and got this far out of the shop before it died!
View attachment 50777

Well no need to panic----it ran out of gas---LOL! Problem is that I haven't filled my gas cans yet. Probably scared of what 91 non-ethanol costs! I'll get them filled this weekend. Still think I was hearing a little "rattle" sound occasionally, but my bad hearing can't tell for sure, or where it's coming from.

Shoved it back in the shop and put the hood on it.
View attachment 50776 View attachment 50778

Couldn't put Daniel's spool valve cover on yet, since the cap was on back order at one place and just recently got my money back. I will try Jack's now and start looking for the o-rings to rebuild the spool valve. I'm behind on some other stuff so it may not be right away.

DAC
Contact member "Ducky" to see if he still has some o-ring kits for the hydraulic control valves.

I'm probably going to have to use the plumbers tape trick for the center lift float spool valve as both of the places that had new ones listed are on "factory back order".

Sent you a PM Daniel.

I did get the gas cans filled today, so if there is ever a nice day when I'm off work, I can drive this thing around a little more and use it to pull my overhead crane back into the shop!

DAC

Thought I should revive this year dead thread as I got to work on the MF1450 today. Some of the previous discussion was about a broken spool valve cap. Until it got repaired somehow, the spool valve cover Daniel sent me would not fit. There was also a big help from our late friend KennyP as he sent me the correct lever for one of the lifts. Between Daniel and Kenny I couldn't have done this.

To review, this steel bracket was holding on the broken float valve cap.
DSCN4157.JPG

The broken cap without that bracket holding it together.
DSCN4165.JPG

This cover Daniel sent would not fit because of that and a wrong lever on the spool valve.
DSCN4158.JPG

Kenny sent me this lever assembly which was the correct one.
DSCN4178.JPG

Finally today I did the repair on that broken cap, but plumbers tape I have just seemed too wide. Some of you guys probably remember back in the 70's and 80's buying tape decks for your cars. They always came with a strap to support the back of the player. It is about 1/4" narrower than plumbers tape and this particular piece was EXACTLY the right length! Must be living right for that to happen---LOL! I could make 3 of the bends in the sheet metal brake then used a hand brake for the last one.
DSCN5168.JPG

Put the new strap over the broken cap and screwed it into place.
DSCN5170.JPG

The old bracket.DSCN5169.JPG

This tractor had been in some kind of a bad wreck like falling out of the back of a pickup or from a moving trailer at one time before I got it. Pretty much everything is bent and tweaked in one way or another. The two speed lever had to be bent into more of an angle to have full swing and also work in the slot of the cover. Went ahead and mounted the cover and it was a bit of a battle to get the bolts into also. The fender pan is far from straight but got it in! Probably someone with a restorable tractor should have the cover rather than this beat to hell one! I appreciate it though, Daniel!

DSCN5171.JPG

DSCN5172.JPG

DSCN5173.JPG

I have no attachments for the center lift or rear PTO yet but maybe someday. Definitely want to try to mount the blade from the MF12G to it some time. That would use the center lift with the float spool.

One of these days I will bend up an 1/8" plate aluminum tunnel cover like I had to do with the dash. Probably would hurt to get a shirt tail or something like that caught in the drive shaft!

DAC

Wow 39 pages and I’m just now seeing this project, sorry Doug. That was a good fix. Believe it or not I just seen several of those tape deck brackets in some junk of mine. When I settle down tonight I’ll do some catching up.

Nice work Doug. Can tell your mother didn't raise no dumbbell.
HA! In my teens she was pretty darn sure she did, Chris! Nowadays, I ain't sure---LOL!

Nice fix Doug. Ya that would not be good getting any thing caught in the driveshaft.

Noel
I been lucky so far but I would hate for my luck to run out, Noel! Could be a bad day. Thanks.

Wow 39 pages and I’m just now seeing this project, sorry Doug. That was a good fix. Believe it or not I just seen several of those tape deck brackets in some junk of mine. When I settle down tonight I’ll do some catching up.
It might disappoint you I'm not doing a restoration Jim, but that would be way more work than I want to do. I want this machine to work for me, not the other way around. Got several things to build for it yet to do my yard mule chores. So far it's a great hauler and gravel smoother with the grate I built for the 3 point.

DAC

Back