MTD 960.....Odd thing about it, I think

It's more of a dark grey. I think it was painted as there is a lighter grey (silver almost) under it....too shiny to be primer. It is peeling off in quite a few spots. They did a good job of painting, as it is painted all over, under hood etc. My yellow Wizard was sold by Western Auto stores, not sure who sold the grey/silver ones.

IMG_0436.jpg IMG_0437.jpg IMG_0439.jpg

Starter-Generator........ When I check voltage at battery with it running I get about 12.8 volts. Amp meter is not moving.
I haven't had a starter/generator before. With it running there is no voltage at the 2nd terminal of it.
Should I see voltage at the 2nd terminal of the starter/generator or does the regulator tell it when to put out voltage?
I figure the S/G puts out constant voltage and the regulator switches it on and off as needed, maybe I'm wrong.......

If your battery is charged, it won’t put out anything.
Dead battery or lights on or, some other drain on the system
Is needed to get the voltage regulator to send a charge to the battery.
You could start it. Then change the battery to a dead one.
You should see a charge then.
I believe it will stay running while you put in a dead battery.

Joe

Thanks Joe........I started it for a minute tonight and turned the lights on, The amp meter went to the plus. Turn the lights off, it goes back to center but no further. I figure the amp meter is wire backwards to do that. I never thought to put the voltmeter on it. Will check it out more on the weekend

did these come in green? I was at a place a few weeks ago and he had a bunch 70s tractors including one of these mtds, I would have bought if I had the trailer with me, I never seen one in person before looked like a pretty stout machine

did these come in green? I was at a place a few weeks ago and he had a bunch 70s tractors including one of these mtds, I would have bought if I had the trailer with me, I never seen one in person before looked like a pretty stout machine

Apparently, they came in many colors depending on the dealer (store) that sold them.....My other one is yellow, sold by Western Auto stores....This one, I'm not sure which store.

Attachments

• IMG_0425 (1).jpg
    IMG_0425 (1).jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 5
Here's another odd thing about this tractor...Tonight I took the deck off. When I turned it over, I saw that the cavity at the back of the deck was filled with cement......Is this normal for these?...Never seen that before

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg IMG_0449.jpg

I am just wondering if the thing vibrated or something and they did that to counteract that.....I have had it running and other than bearing noise, seems fine. Debating whether to leave it or chisel it out?..Might destroy deck trying to remove it.

Well, it seems this was a hillbilly fix of sorts. Started chipping away at it and discovered the top of the deck was repaired with thin aluminum (I think)....I guess they poured the cement to sort of hold it all together....Probably will be looking for another deck and use this one for parts.

I don’t know
But, my guess would be that they used cement to keep
The baffle from hitting the mower blades?
Do you need this for mowing?
I haven’t used mine for mowing.
So, I don’t know how good they are.
Those blades look well worn.

Joe

No, don't need the mower deck, but would like to see how it does. And if I decide to sell it, would get better money with the deck. A friend of mine saw the MTD in my driveway and said he had 2 more which I could have free...just have to help dig them out of his barn full of stuff.......says they are only 8 hp though....Going to have to take a look at them.

Mine was kind of like lime tt2.jpggreen, it was called Turf Trac.

Apparently, they came in many colors depending on the dealer (store) that sold them.....My other one is yellow, sold by Western Auto stores....This one, I'm not sure which store.
I heard there wwere about 11 or more documented versions of this same tractor in several different colors along with names. I was also told if you had a hardware or feed store back in the day & sold a lot of them MTD would color & badge them whatever you wanted.

Worked on the tractor this morning while it was cool, too damn hot now. It took about a 1/2 hr to get it running on gas squirted into carb, filed the points, set them and got spark. Rigged up a fuel line and can drive it around now. The clutch is howling a bit, the deck bearings are noisy, it smokes a tiny bit when worked.......but all that will come.

View attachment 1896View attachment 1897View attachment 1898
Good looking team pic together. Mine was sitting in an open field for many years. When I got it to start it smoked a bit on start up & for a few minutes. I added some MMO for awhile & it eventually stopped.

I heard there wwere about 11 or more documented versions of this same tractor in several different colors along with names. I was also told if you had a hardware or feed store back in the day & sold a lot of them MTD would color & badge them whatever you wanted.

Here's photos of my Whites Hardware Ranger 16. It's silver when it's cleaned up .

post-1435-0-41675800-1331774953.jpgpost-1435-0-63785000-1331774885.jpg

Back