My son got this car to fix up.

I will run into these people later this summer I bet and I will talk to them about the 289 heads .
I always wanted an Avanti but by the time I had a real job they were no longer sold at a dealers and I wasn't intrested in doing the collectors thing. I would have even liked a Super Hawk.
EuSo0ag.jpg

:D Al

Did Studebaker, Nash and Rambler merge together or did they ever have any business dealings together. Or did Studebaker just go out of business ?

Noel

My son got the parts and dirt cleaned out of the 1950 the other day, gave it a washing too. We also turned it over by hand. Need a new 6 volt battery for it. Would not turn over very fast with starter. So no go yet.

Noel

My understanding is that Rambler and Nash merged to form American Motors. They bought Jeep in the 60s. They lasted until about 1987 when Chrysler bought them, mainly to get Jeep. I worked at AMC from 72-80

Separately, Studebaker acquired Packard in the 50s....They lasted until 1964 in the US and until 66 in Canada, The 65 and 66 used Chevy drive trains

Hudson, I'm not sure of.

Another goggle information search.

The Hudson Motor Car Company made Hudson and other brand automobiles in Detroit, Michigan, from 1909 to 1954. In 1954, Hudson merged with Nash-Kelvinator to form American Motors Corporation (AMC). The Hudson name was continued through the 1957 model year, after which it was discontinued.

Kaiser Motors (formerly Kaiser-Frazer) Corporation made automobiles at Willow Run, Michigan, United States, from 1945 to 1953. In 1953, Kaiser merged with Willys-Overland to form Willys Motors Incorporated, moving its production operations to the Willys plant at Toledo, Ohio. The company changed its name to Kaiser Jeep Corporation in 1963.

In 1952 and 1953, Kaiser-Frazer provided Sears, Roebuck and Company with Allstate-branded automobiles that retailer sold through selected Sears Auto Centers. The cars, based on the Henry J models that Kaiser-Frazer dealers were selling, were in the Sears catalog, but the car could not be purchased by mail order.

Nash Motors Company was an American automobile manufacturer based in Kenosha, Wisconsin, in the United States from 1916 to 1937. From 1937 to 1954, Nash Motors was the automotive division of the Nash-Kelvinator Corporation. Nash production continued from 1954 to 1957 after the creation of American Motors Corporation.

Nash pioneered some important innovations; in 1938 they debuted the heating and ventilation system which is still used today, unibody construction in 1941, seat belts in 1950, a US built compact car in 1950, and muscle cars in 1957

:D Al

So the studebaker has fire at the plugs. Had to buy a battery for it. My son worked at it, because it had no spark. He and I chatted back and forth about the problem. At the end of the day there was no spark. After our conversation I figured that there should be spark. All the testing he did said it should have spark.
So I went over to sunburn the potato bugs today and thought I’d try it, to see if any spark.
Sure enough, when I tryed it, it had spark at the plug. He must not of had a connection from the plug to the metal surface when he did it.
Any way, tomorrow we will put fuel to it and see if it starts. I’m reasonably sure it will. As long as it’s timed.
So we will see
Another neat thing is. The solenoid on the starter has a button on it. So, you can push this button to turn the engine over, instead of getting in the car and pushing the floor starter.
Why would it have that. ?

Noel

Years ago I had a long one that cliped to the solenoid terminals to bump the motor over to adjust the points. Never seen one directly on the starter except fore small engines.

So the studebaker has fire at the plugs. Had to buy a battery for it. My son worked at it, because it had no spark. He and I chatted back and forth about the problem. At the end of the day there was no spark. After our conversation I figured that there should be spark. All the testing he did said it should have spark.
So I went over to sunburn the potato bugs today and thought I’d try it, to see if any spark.
Sure enough, when I tryed it, it had spark at the plug. He must not of had a connection from the plug to the metal surface when he did it.
Any way, tomorrow we will put fuel to it and see if it starts. I’m reasonably sure it will. As long as it’s timed.
So we will see
Another neat thing is. The solenoid on the starter has a button on it. So, you can push this button to turn the engine over, instead of getting in the car and pushing the floor starter.
Why would it have that. ?

Noel

Floor starter were common. Lever through floor to hit the button on starter. I have a starter lever in garage that came out of '40's IHC.

Back