New plow build thoughts and ideas

Dropped82

At the last plowday, something new to me caught my attention. After drooling for a bit, an idea popped in my head.

Disc plow for a GT.

You don't see them very often but are neat. Now I want to build a double or maybe even a triple for a GT. I found a GT sized one on Facebook. Talked with the builder a bit. He mentioned it pulls pretty easily. Also, mentioned the rear wheel needs to be heavy since it acts as the landslide. I've since sourced some discs. Nothing on a wheel yet. Also, the big ones have angle adjustments for the cut width. I'd like to integrate that. If I make a triple, it'll probably be a drawbar pull with its own lift setup due to lots of weight hanging far out.

Anyone have any experience with these? I'm looking for any tips or info when it comes to vertical angles, Etc. These are new to me. Thanks!!

Eric

A disc does not make an even cut due to the blade being round. 5" center depth may only be 3 or 4 on the lead and lag, depending on the diameter of the disc. They would pull easier as they are not turning near as much ground. A 10" Brinly will cut a 10" width where a 10" disc may only cut a 5" width, depending on the angle. Places for both of them.

So why did the moldboard plow become prominent?

Because the moldboard plow had been around for a couple hundred years before the disk plow came to be early in the 1900's. And actually according to a report I find stating that the disk plow continued in popularity so much so that if we hadn't have gone to no-till farming the disk plow would have surpassed the moldboard in the coming years.

In the western and great plains states the diskplow had already replaced most moldboard plows.

Last edited:
A disc does not make an even cut due to the blade being round. 5" center depth may only be 3 or 4 on the lead and lag, depending on the diameter of the disc. They would pull easier as they are not turning near as much ground. A 10" Brinly will cut a 10" width where a 10" disc may only cut a 5" width, depending on the angle. Places for both of them.

That's true to a point, most disk plows are 18"DIA and bigger to make the same or greater width of cut and the moldboard plow.

If I was building one for a gt I'd use at least a 16"DIA disk and more than likely I'd look for a 24" disk.

Back