New plow build thoughts and ideas

I purchased and plowed with a 2 disc Dearborn plow last year for the first time. I will not pull a regular plow again if I can help it. They break up the soil much better than a moldboard plow which makes working the field later much easier. As stated a disc plow will not load up with trash and works well in corn or trashy fields. It's much easier to maintain the correct depth with and is easier to pull than a regular two bottom plow. Also they won't throw you over the steering wheel if you catch a root or rock. Mine has 26" discs and is 3 point mounted. I'm really looking forward to getting out and using it again this spring.
For the trail wheel on one sized for a garden tractor you might consider building it around wheel weight. After using mine for a few hours I can tell you that a good trail wheel is very important. You'll be plowing in circles if it's not working properly.
The one in the video looks to be doing a really nice job.
Good luck with your project and keep us updated please.
PS. It's kind of interesting how people going by will slow down, stop, or turn around and come back to look and see what I'm pulling.

I've also been told the disc are lots easier to pull than the moldboard. Makes me think a 3 bottom wouldn't be out of hand behind a "super" sized GT. I've found some 22" hillers on a shaft. I might have to start experimenting.

2 main issues I forsee
1. The length itll have to be. That'll be a lot of weight hanging out back when attempting to lift.
2. Finding a heavy rear landslide wheel to go on the back. I've read they have to be heavy in order to function correctly. Which complicates #1 even more.

Also found this pertaining to the disc angles.
Screenshot_20190211-101632_Samsung Internet.jpg
Eric

Looks to me it would be more trouble than it is worth for couple hours use a year. Who is going to farm with one? ? Not me.

Some people like myself just enjoy the challenge of creating something and the satisfaction of using it after it's done. Is it practical? No but it's sure fun to see if it can be done.
That's why I built my 2-bottom plow! This might be a fun build! I've seen a pair of the disc plow for an 8N/9N Ford on CL, but they want a bunch for them.

I purchased and plowed with a 2 disc Dearborn plow last year for the first time. I will not pull a regular plow again if I can help it. They break up the soil much better than a moldboard plow which makes working the field later much easier. As stated a disc plow will not load up with trash and works well in corn or trashy fields. It's much easier to maintain the correct depth with and is easier to pull than a regular two bottom plow. Also they won't throw you over the steering wheel if you catch a root or rock. Mine has 26" discs and is 3 point mounted. I'm really looking forward to getting out and using it again this spring.
For the trail wheel on one sized for a garden tractor you might consider building it around wheel weight. After using mine for a few hours I can tell you that a good trail wheel is very important. You'll be plowing in circles if it's not working properly.
The one in the video looks to be doing a really nice job.
Good luck with your project and keep us updated please.
PS. It's kind of interesting how people going by will slow down, stop, or turn around and come back to look and see what I'm pulling.
Got Pictures. Don

I've also been told the disc are lots easier to pull than the moldboard. Makes me think a 3 bottom wouldn't be out of hand behind a "super" sized GT. I've found some 22" hillers on a shaft. I might have to start experimenting.

2 main issues I forsee
1. The length itll have to be. That'll be a lot of weight hanging out back when attempting to lift.
2. Finding a heavy rear landslide wheel to go on the back. I've read they have to be heavy in order to function correctly. Which complicates #1 even more.

Also found this pertaining to the disc angles.
View attachment 10802
Eric

Eric, instead of being a fully 3pt mounted plow why not build it as a semi- mounted plow with the tail wheel staying on the ground while up for transport? We had an A/C 4-14 semi-mounted plow back in the day that we used behind one of our WD45's. It worked very well and the tractor didn't carry the full wieght of the plow while transporting. You would need a remote outlet for the remote hydraulic cylinder on the tail wheel.

The disc wipers are missing off of this one but it's the same model as mine. Paid something like $400.00 for it
95973439_bottom-dearborne-disc-plowcultivator-ebay.jpg.
This video will give you an idea of size. The discs on this plow are worn down 2 1/2 inches as new they are 26" as I recall.

Last edited:
Chris , how deep would that Dearborn plow , new and set up correctly and best soil conditions go ? And in the same situation , how big of a moldboard plow need to be to go the same depth ?

Chris , how deep would that Dearborn plow , new and set up correctly and best soil conditions go ? And in the same situation , how big of a moldboard plow need to be to go the same depth ?

Not as deep as a moldboard plow. Maybe 8 inches. I've not measured it. I know it's plenty deep enough to turn over corn stubble. Going by my experience with moldboard plows you can run them really deep if you have the power to pull them. So I'd say a 12" plow could be set to run as deep as this Disc plow. I also have a 2 bottom JD pull type ground lift plow. Setting up and using the 3 point disc plow is much easier.
Please keep in mind I'm just a hobby farmer. It's been at least 40 years since I've worked on a large farm.

Looks to me it would be more trouble than it is worth for couple hours use a year. Who is going to farm with one? ? Not me.
It makes about as much sense as me owning 11 GTs, 1 Farmall Cub, and 1 Farmall B row crop on an acre of property. It's a hobby not necessarily needed. I get bored with the machines. Spending more time building things to make them more useful. Plus, I plow allot more than a couple hours a year. I attend 5-6 plowdays. At minimum, we see about 4-5 hours per day per event. Some events are 2 days. So yes, my family and I can wear some plows out.

I gotta sort a couple things out and then I might start collecting parts to start the build. Might have something to try this coming spring with hopefully a finished product for the fall. I really want to aim for a 3 bottom if itll be possible. Would like a minimum of a 10" cut per disc also. Maybe I'm asking too much but testing will see.

Eric

Sadly Daniel is unable to have his plowday this year. Fully understandable considering the kind of year he has had. But your talking about Plow days makes me ask if you are aware of any spring Plow days here in the midwest. After the winter we have had so far i,m anxious to get out and play a little. Anything around p!ease let me know.

Back