New Sonic Cleaner

cjet69

Tractorologist
We have a HF sonic cleaner now but find its too small for many of our Antique Tractor carbs. Deciding on what size to get was the hard part. Went back and forth between the large 30L and the mid sized 15L models. Finally decided on the 15L model from Vevor. I thought the 30L would be a waste on most of the smaller items that I will be cleaning and the 15L is close to half the price. Not sure when it will arrive but hope by next weekend.

1711925647207.png

I have the small HF cleaner. Used it on 1 carb so far but didn't have the right solution in it. Used Mean Green. Lot of different stuff suggested on the internet so don't know which one is best. Have a couple carb that need cleaning but till I get the right solution they will wait.

We used that type when I worked at marine dealer until last September, retired from there. I worked there, 12 years. We were on the third one. I was the one who maintained/cleaned them. The first two got left on overnight/or over the weekend. That seemed to take the the transducers out.

The first one was repaired. When it went bad again, they just bought a Chinese one for a fairly cheap price. That one was still running when I left the shop. But it had been left on, and was not working 100% when I left.

I have the small HF cleaner. Used it on 1 carb so far but didn't have the right solution in it. Used Mean Green. Lot of different stuff suggested on the internet so don't know which one is best. Have a couple carb that need cleaning but till I get the right solution they will wait.
Same here. My old HF ultrasonic cleaner machine has been a real help. Use Seafoam and nearly every thing is super clean afterwards.

Seafoam-tractor.jpg

We have a HF sonic cleaner now but find its too small for many of our Antique Tractor carbs. Deciding on what size to get was the hard part. Went back and forth between the large 30L and the mid sized 15L models. Finally decided on the 15L model from Vevor. I thought the 30L would be a waste on most of the smaller items that I will be cleaning and the 15L is close to half the price. Not sure when it will arrive but hope by next weekend.

View attachment 80166
Here is the link if anyone is interested.
VEVOR 15L Upgraded Ultrasonic Cleaner (600W Heater,360W Ultrasonic) Professional Digital Lab Ultrasonic Parts Cleaner with Heater Timer for Glass Dental Instruments Cleaning | VEVOR US
:p

At least they could use same wrench in the before and after picture. Close but no prize.

That is what I saw too Chris. I run a carb through my ultrasonic cleaner yesterday morning. Used soft water and about 15% of 71% isopropyl alcohol. Worked great. Dpont have to run with the choke half on anymore and pulls good with the tiller.

If I am cleaning oily or greasy parts I boil them in a large container on a propane burner. I think you can get better results with rust removal using electrolysis, sand, or bead blasting than with a sonic cleaner. I see some people have OK results using sonic cleaners for rust but it really depends on what kind of solution you are using. Where the sonic cleaners really shine is getting into small passages and crevices. I also want to try using small glass or plastic containers to put the cleaning solution in with the part and float that in just water in the sonic cleaner. That way you only contaminate the small amount of cleaning solution.

I was eye balling the big harbor freight one today. That’s one thing I’ve never bought. I have a 1 gallon can of gunk carb clean with a basket. I soak my carbs. Seem to have good luck with them.

Since I’ve been messing with the predator engines the carbs are so cheap it’s almost easier to just buy a new one for 12 bucks… if pulling the main and the pilot jet and cleaning doesn’t fix I just get a new one.

Back