New Way Engine model EH Type 2

Just going by the sound of the video it sounds like at least one of those bearings should be replaced. If I had to guess I'd say the one on the flywheel end of the crank. Both would be a better option.
Thanks for the video and it's nice to see you got it running.

I'm pretty sure they do, Chris.
Hey Doug, any idea if the clutch on these are wet or dry? I just took mine all apart and it appears it had some oil in there. Not full of fluid or anything, but the plates all had a sticky "glue" that was the consistency of pine pitch, smelled like old oil, and acted like it was baked on.

Not real sure on that one. The earlier New Way clutch was metal to metal plates and you had to give it a little oil to keep it from grabbing/sticking. It didn't really run in oil though.
This is metal and fiber alternating discs. Probably 8-9 of each.
IMG_20190114_224344206.jpg
I think it should have some lube unless someone says no.
Guessing 30w-ish would be ok?

With the fiber, I'd maybe think mineral oil instead of petroleum. Is the housing sealed enough to hold oil? The early ones had a spring loaded check ball that you shoved down with the oil can spout and gave it a couple squirts every now and then. Too much and it slipped. Not enough and it stuck.

If it doesn't stick, it might be better to leave it dry. Maybe a little dry graphite to let them slide? Does the outside of that pulley move to engage it? That was how the early ones worked.

If it doesn't stick, it might be better to leave it dry. Maybe a little dry graphite to let them slide? Does the outside of that pulley move to engage it? That was how the early ones worked.
Yes, the outside moves. The check ball really only drops oil to the brass where it spins on the shaft, not intended to dump inside, but I'm sure it will get in there.

Mineral oil. That's what the old stuff was, I'm almost sure of it.. the brake parts cleaner reacted differently than I expected.

Maybe they should be dry and the oil that was in there was from lubricating the brass and seeping over?

I wanted to put together a short post on the inside of the clutch on this.
I knew the clutch was spring loaded inside, so I decided I would do foot long pieces of 5/16 all thread.
there are 6 bolts that hold this unit together, so I took out three of the bolt and replaced them with the all thread.
Be sure to use lock nuts on the one end or you may accidentally unscrew the wrong end and get hurt or damage the clutch.
IMG_20190114_212339266.jpg
And I slowly unscrewed the nuts on the all thread a few turns at a time
IMG_20190114_212937982.jpg
When I finally got the all threads unscrew to where there is no spring pressure on them, I went ahead and disassembled the clutch. There is a fairly sizable spring in there that rides on a bearing, and multiple (approximately 8 each) steel plates between fiber discs
IMG_20190114_213226832.jpgIMG_20190114_213224048.jpg
after the clutch came apart, the plates were stuck to the fiber discs. Almost like they were glued together.
IMG_20190114_213411040.jpg
The plates came loose and were washed.
IMG_20190114_213718147.jpg
IMG_20190114_213733788.jpg
IMG_20190114_215557253.jpg
IMG_20190114_224344206.jpg
And here it is reassembled.
IMG_20190114_230117140.jpg
And working

Last edited:
Back