Not Sure What I Have

I recently put a new PTO belt on and cut some grass the other day for an hour or so. The rear end started jerking and slipping. I noticed the brake/clutch pedal wouldn’t come up all the way unless I lifted it up with the top of my foot. I’m not familiar with these newer LT”s so I seen on YouTube where grass can collect under the pedal bracket preventing the idler arm from engaging the drive belt all the way. Sure enough once I got under there I seen about a hand full of grass lodged under the bracket. I cleaned that out and it works fine now but I seen another problem. My new PTO belt was split. I checked all the pulleys and the traveling of the belt with no problems. The belt has a cloth jacket that looks like the entire seam let go. I’m sending it back for a refund. I think I’m going to get a standard belt this time. Some of these so called Kevlar or Aramid belts are not what they claim to be.

Attachments

• IMG_0171.jpeg
    IMG_0171.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 4
If a Kevlar belt shredded up like that a FHP belt will probably go quicker. I would be looking at all the pulleys real close for rough or rusted spots. Only takes about one mouse to pee on the belt at the pulley and some time to make a rough/rusted spot on a pulley. I switched to Kevlar belts several years ago and never looked back. Have a lot less belt issues with Kevlar.

Last edited:
If a Kevlar belt shredded up like that a FHP belt will probably go quicker. I would be looking at all the pulleys real close for rough or rusted spots. Only takes about one mouse to pee on the belt at the pulley and some time to make a rough/rusted spot on a pulley. I switched to Kevlar belts several years ago and never looked back. Have a lot less belt issues with Kevlar.
As I already mentioned in my thread I checked everything to make sure things were good and I never seen any problems. The belt that was on it was a standard belt and worked fine it just broke because of age. All my replacement belts are Kevlar. Standard belts were used for many years before Kevlar.

I went online last night to check the reviews which I should have done before. Three other complaints and pics showing the same problem, the jacket separating from the belt at the edge. I just got a bad belt.

FYI Kevlar is a brand name Aramid is the product used just like Kleenex is the name and tissues is the product. Another thing you can’t use FHP belts on a mower. They are “ Fractional Horse Power” belts used only on small engines with a rating of 1 hp.

As I already mentioned in my thread I checked everything to make sure things were good and I never seen any problems. The belt that was on it was a standard belt and worked fine it just broke because of age. All my replacement belts are Kevlar. Standard belts were used for many years before Kevlar.

I went online last night to check the reviews which I should have done before. Three other complaints and pics showing the same problem, the jacket separating from the belt at the edge. I just got a bad belt.

FYI Kevlar is a brand name Aramid is the product used just like Kleenex is the name and tissues is the product. Another thing you can’t use FHP belts on a mower. They are “ Fractional Horse Power” belts used only on small engines with a rating of 1 hp.
Get it from V-Belt guys, Jim? So far what I have ordered from them is holding up but I may have just jinxed myself! Of course, the conditions here are a lot easier on belts since the grass doesn't get nearly that thick and heavy, and this is only one acre.

I want the belts that are made like on the MF8E! All 3 belts on that thing are still the same ones that were on it when I got it with a broken engine around 33 years ago! It's on it's 2nd running engine since I've had it and the "adapter mount" I had to build to put a 10 hp Tec on it still allowed use of the same belts. I can't even see a crack in them anywhere. Jinxed myself again---LOL!

DAC

Get it from V-Belt guys, Jim? So far what I have ordered from them is holding up but I may have just jinxed myself! Of course, the conditions here are a lot easier on belts since the grass doesn't get nearly that thick and heavy, and this is only one acre.

I want the belts that are made like on the MF8E! All 3 belts on that thing are still the same ones that were on it when I got it with a broken engine around 33 years ago! It's on it's 2nd running engine since I've had it and the "adapter mount" I had to build to put a 10 hp Tec on it still allowed use of the same belts. I can't even see a crack in them anywhere. Jinxed myself again---LOL!

DAC
I have several of them old belts that are still good too. I did order one this morning from V-Belt Guys. This one is a Goodyear Aramid just a couple bucks more with their standard shipping.

Back