Not Sure What I Have

Well guys I have a runner. The tank was dry so I put some fresh gas in it, took the battery and tray out to jump the solenoid then took the air cleaner off to give it a shot of starter fluid and it fired right up. A slight puff of smoke on the first start up but no more after that. It throttles up and down and runs smooth. I took it for a test drive forward worked great but reverse was a little sluggish on a hill. I’ll give it a good going over later. The PO was excited and said he thinks he’s got the engine cover. When I find out what model I have I’ll order a solenoid. Thanks guys for your comments and help.

Whoopee the PO found the cover it’s a 19.5 hp. From what I found out today this could have been an 18 hp also. Not sure why but seems like the 19.5 replaced their 18. I’ll research the 18 vs the 19.5 to see why the change. Still learning about the later stuff.
78F0EA01-797E-40EE-B464-BFE183822688.png9CA8AE11-678E-4351-B77F-2DEEFD780DEC.png

did he give an explanation as to why the tins were all removed??
Yes Lance he told me the starter wouldn’t work so he pulled the tins off to see if it was jammed. He seen it looked good and was told it could be several things like safety switches or a solenoid. He was having a new pool installed and didn’t have much of a yard left and didn’t need it anymore. He previously put new tires on it and a new battery. He told me he didn’t care about it anymore and just covered it up next to his shed for two years. It’s kind of funny the dash is hanging loose, the hood is loose, and the seat has one bolt holding it on. I was satisfied with just salvaging the tires, battery and seat. I’m even more happier knowing the engine is good. I’m not that fond of newer stuff and vertical shafts but for free it’s a good thing.

If you dont plan to use it then clean it up nice and see if you can sell it.... Ive sold several similar engines in the $150-$200 range. A couple short pieces of 4x4 make a perfect engine stand so you can store it and show it running. In my experience Ive found that someone who is looking for such an engine will pay more for just the engine than most folks will pay for that entire tractor. You might have to sit on it a little while but they were very common all thru the 80s so eventually it will sell.

If you dont plan to use it then clean it up nice and see if you can sell it.... Ive sold several similar engines in the $150-$200 range. A couple short pieces of 4x4 make a perfect engine stand so you can store it and show it running. In my experience Ive found that someone who is looking for such an engine will pay more for just the engine than most folks will pay for that entire tractor. You might have to sit on it a little while but they were very common all thru the 80s so eventually it will sell.
I won’t be using this Lance I have too much to do on the tractors I like. I did find out today the solenoid checked out good. I’m thinking now maybe a bad connection in the ignition switch or a safety switch. That’s a good idea to set it up to start then just wait for a buyer.

Well guys I actually have a good running LT and good grass cutter. This “Hoopty” as my wife has named it has surprised me several times during my curiosity. I finished up with the missing bolts and fastened all the tins. I repaired the seat bracket, changed the oil, and cleaned the air filter. Last year I had to jump the solenoid to start but this morning it fired right up. I cleaned the deck and sharpened the blades. I was a little nervous when I engaged the deck thinking the clutch would be bad but nope it immediately kicked in like it should. I mowed about 40 minutes took it back to the shop then turned it off. Now for another test yep it fired back up ready to go again. It doesn’t look like much especially with the green hood but I have a little back up mower now. I’ve missed my dads little mower since I gave it to my son but now I have a replacement that is fun to drive. I have several places in the yard I can’t mow with the bigger tractors but these guys are quick, fast, easy to steer, and use so much less gas.

In case your wondering what I actually have it’s a Craftsman DLT 2000 thanks to BMaverick and Olcowhand for their info and helping me find out the true identity. I know of two guys not far away that might have the proper hood for this. I may end up buying one.

Here is a pic of what it should look like.
7784E0FC-E474-46B1-91F7-C280039EEDB9.jpeg
Here’s a few pics of it today
A18111D6-503F-468B-9E2B-780ECB33C2FF.jpeg530A379C-D6FC-4BFC-8A3F-8C9887E2081B.jpeg590F35F0-C82A-4633-B135-F62B8F6D3DBB.jpeg68DBEE72-A216-4F0E-90F1-7768434CC978.jpeg9DA88F0D-37EC-43B9-BF2E-1EC5E6E2FC43.jpeg

I need to repair the plastic shroud on the deck
7F7AFA22-D1B5-485C-8635-B9C4D2BC8FEA.jpeg
I just went back out to my shop to see if it would start after todays workout. It fired right up. Thanks guys to the ones that had some encouragement.

Well guys I actually have a good running LT and good grass cutter. This “Hoopty” as my wife has named it has surprised me several times during my curiosity. I finished up with the missing bolts and fastened all the tins. I repaired the seat bracket, changed the oil, and cleaned the air filter. Last year I had to jump the solenoid to start but this morning it fired right up. I cleaned the deck and sharpened the blades. I was a little nervous when I engaged the deck thinking the clutch would be bad but nope it immediately kicked in like it should. I mowed about 40 minutes took it back to the shop then turned it off. Now for another test yep it fired back up ready to go again. It doesn’t look like much especially with the green hood but I have a little back up mower now. I’ve missed my dads little mower since I gave it to my son but now I have a replacement that is fun to drive. I have several places in the yard I can’t mow with the bigger tractors but these guys are quick, fast, easy to steer, and use so much less gas.

In case your wondering what I actually have it’s a Craftsman DLT 2000 thanks to BMaverick and Olcowhand for their info and helping me find out the true identity. I know of two guys not far away that might have the proper hood for this. I may end up buying one.

Here is a pic of what it should look like.
View attachment 54716
Here’s a few pics of it today
View attachment 54710View attachment 54711View attachment 54712View attachment 54713View attachment 54714

I need to repair the plastic shroud on the deck
View attachment 54715
I just went back out to my shop to see if it would start after todays workout. It fired right up. Thanks guys to the ones that had some encouragement.
The deck plastic shoot is typical for that era of Craftsman mowers. Poke a hole at the end and use a binge to raise it 2 more inches. Nothing will ever get stuck out the shoot anymore. I had a DYT4000 and swapped motors to a Kohler Magnum M18. It really became a beast.

As an important FYI even with the LT2000, when sitting in the seat, that lever to raise/lower the deck is known to snap in half just under the dash. It's hours of tearing down the lawn tractor just to gain access to it. Keep the mechanism well oiled and not binding. Use that deck lever control as seldom as possible.

Yeah Brett I remember you mentioned the part about the deck lever. It feels solid but the lock pin that goes in the notches for the height adjustments is a little sloppy. The PO had a poly cord rigged up to hold the deck shoot up a few inches. I need to make a bracket to wrap around the hinged area on the plastic shoot where it fastens to the deck. Thanks again for your input Brett.

I texted the PO of this mower to get a little history of it. He told me he got it as I got it. He bought it from a farmer that had it repowered and a new deck put on it at a mower shop. This explains the deck in such good shape for a 20 year old tractor and the nice job of the repower. I sent him a video and pics of it and the correct ID and a link showing what it should look like. He also said something that sent me for a loop. He actually told me that he really did like that mower and maybe I could sell it back to him sometime. When he first mentioned it to me he said he was going to set it on the curb for free if I didn’t want it. Before I drove out there I asked him if I can get it to run and working would he want it back. He said no he couldn’t get it to start, he had a large pool installed and didn’t need a rider no more, and he wanted it gone. Right now it’s worth more to me than the money it would bring. My wife has already showed some interest in it because it’s small and it’s a lot like my dads. It’s going to be a handy little tractor for a backup mower.

Anyway I worked on repairing the plastic deck shoot. I heated the broken area and got it back to shape. I took a piece of aluminum floor transition strip and made a bracket to wrap around the hinged area. It works good now.
90C634F8-2721-4C2C-9164-B235D97C6123.jpeg9CD9E1C9-5E2E-4749-B9D8-EDBF54270F96.jpeg

Well I think Hoopdy died on me the other day. I was cutting some grass and was running flawlessly as before then it stopped moving as if I pulled the rod in the back to disengage the tranny for free wheeling. No noise no indication of anything going wrong just won’t engage. I brought it down to my shop for a better look. I jacked the rear wheels up then checked the lever that disengages the tranny and it was working as it should I think. Moving the lever forward then pushing the forward pedal the brake disc spins but the wheels don’t turn. Same thing for the reverse pedal disc spins the opposite direction but wheels don’t turn. When I pull the lever back as to disengage for free wheeling the disc stops turning. Some where I think inside I’m not getting any action between the drive pulley on top to the axle but the brake disc spins. I’m totally ignorant on these so right not I don’t have the time to work on it or decide if it’s worth repairing depending on what it is. I really hate this it wasn’t pretty to look at but it was fun driving and it cut grass so good. It has the Hydro Gear transaxle if anyone has any info for me.

Attachments

• 0C1270BA-3900-4847-8787-978174AEC204.jpeg
    0C1270BA-3900-4847-8787-978174AEC204.jpeg
    491.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 7D387CEE-40CC-4C9B-8827-6991211F5F49.jpeg
    7D387CEE-40CC-4C9B-8827-6991211F5F49.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 9
Well Hoopdy has been resurrected for less than $5. I seen on YouTube about a guy loosing his axle key while changing a tire. He had the same problem I had. Lily’sDad mentioned the same thing. I took one wheel off and it had the key, I took the other one off and no key. No idea of where it went or how it got out.

TSC wanted almost $4. for a key but didn’t have any. I bought a 3/16 square metal stick 12” long for a little under $5. Now I have enough to make several more if needed.

Attachments

• 60F42316-7D46-4E62-A3EE-9451A90B0775.jpeg
    60F42316-7D46-4E62-A3EE-9451A90B0775.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 9F2F5834-4ABF-4C7A-A45B-99CE88E1C379.jpeg
    9F2F5834-4ABF-4C7A-A45B-99CE88E1C379.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 5
I remember when I was about 8 I was looking through my dads tool box and found these pieces of square shine steel. I didn't know at the time but one was 3/16 one 1/4 one 5/16 one 3/8. Asked my dad "what are these for". That is the day I learned about keys key ways, and key stock and a little about how unhappy he was going to be if he needed it and it was gone. Don

Well Hoopdy has been resurrected for less than $5. I seen on YouTube about a guy loosing his axle key while changing a tire. He had the same problem I had. Lily’sDad mentioned the same thing. I took one wheel off and it had the key, I took the other one off and no key. No idea of where it went or how it got out.

TSC wanted almost $4. for a key but didn’t have any. I bought a 3/16 square metal stick 12” long for a little under $5. Now I have enough to make several more if needed.
Glad it was an easy fix, Jim!

DAC

Back