Pallet Kohler Engines

Put a long box wrench on that adapter, then hit the end of the wrench hard with a 2X4 but hit it square. Couple blows should break it loose. A vise grip on the shaft will keep the box wrench from flying off.
Tried similar to that but I can't hold the cs solid enough I have a strap wrench on the other end of the CS but its spongy , will get at the starter one of these first days and will see if it will run

:mad: No concrete mixers or raspberry filled donuts and its all Rogers fault, I tried again with a 7/8" box end and used my dead blow hammer gave it a good whack and it was off the bad thing is it snapped off even with the end of the CS.
Ok on a better note I removed the oil dip stick/'filler tube then removed the starter from the red M16 I did put a wrap of duck tape on the brushes end screwed the bolts out and put it on the black M16 it really went good not near what I had imaged in my head so this afternoon will crank it over and check for spark and see if it wants to run

Last edited:
:thumbs: Blackie runs, I connected the starter cable, connected the jumper cable removed the spark plug connected the SP gap tester crqanked it over had good spark so I cleaned the spark plug and reinstalled it connected the mag switch wire and the alternator wire, got my gas squeeze bottle shot some gas in the carb pushed the starter button crank crank crank nothing gave it a little more gas same thing nothing trying to figure this out when I looked over and seen the mag switch is off (dumbie ) flipped it to on pushed the starter button and it started right up ran nice I was waiting for it to die as I had done nothing to the carb but it kept on running let it warm up for 5 minutes or so shut it off tried a restart it started right up so I gave it some throttle and it didn't like that sputtered and stopped tried it again same result so I removed the main jet cleaned it good shot carb cleaner down the hole gave it a blast of air gas & carb cleaner shot out all over my chest (and I can still smell it) reinstalled the jet removed the idle jet same process only this time stood to the side reinstalled the jet added some Sea Foam to the gas tank. Started the engine and it ran good went to open the throttle it stumbled just a little went to high R' ran good tried 3 / 4 more times each time a little better, it sure runs nice carb probably should be removed and cleaned good but for now its good. I'm not good at videos so you'll have to forgive the side vies etc

Was into the shop this AM the M16 started right up ran it approx 20 minutes fine tuned the carb and its running good so that's about all for that engine guess my next thing is to see what the deal is on the K321 14 hp one it may have problems, but 2 out of 3 so far is pretty. New video to come

Last edited:
I removed the Black M16 off the operating table srt it among the Kohler Kollection and got the orange K321 up on the operating table, when I tried to turn it over it went a ways and got hard to turn but it turned over, I figured it was probably surface rust on the cylinder wall so the first thing I did was remover the cylinder head the head bolt next to the exhaust port didn't want to budge. Not wanting to twist it off I got the Oxy-Acetelene torch out and heat the ares of the bolt after about 5+ minutes I accidentally killed the torch so I figured give the bolt a try and it came loose. Removed the head and sure enough there was a rust spot on the upper cylinder wall kind of inline with the intake valve so I suppose it was sitting open. Did a quick hone with cylinder hone and it turns over easy, will hone it more tomorrow. The exhaust valve was hanging up also shot some WD40 on the stem and tapped it down with a screwdriver handle and it was soon working. Time will tell if this one will run or not

Got some work done on the K321 this afternoon, got the cylinder cleaned up cleaned around the valves ran a tap into all the headbolt holes cleaned the top of the cylinder off good, I think the head bolts were not torqued to specs as it apppered that it was leaking around the head gasket, but the gasket was not burned thru anywhere. Cleaned and sanded it on my surface table looks ok for a test run. Cleaned all the carbon off the Cylinder head and ran it over fine grit sanding material and got it cleaned very good, installed the head and torqued all the bolts down per the Kohler sequence. Tomorrow its to install a carb, check for spark and then see if it;ll run

Well I'm three for three now, was into the shop for a short while did some work on the K321 14 hp with no CS/PTO, cranked it over to check for spark no spark removed the points cover got my points file (try finding one of them now days)got one sparlie and nothing so I removed the points took them apart filed and cleaned them good lubed the points pivot post reinstalled them and had spark so I cleaned the spark plug connect the gas hose to the carb turned the gas on and gas ran out about as fast as it was going in shut the gas valve off time to go home. This afternoon grabbed a old used carb off the shelf installed it connect the gas line it leaks some but ok for a test run. Had to fabricate rod from the governor arm to the carb got that installed an cranked the engine it made a few noises like it might fire off finally it started and ran not real good but it kept running adjusted the carb got it better but not perfect reveded it up a couple of times it run pretty good at higher R's. ran out of time so tomorrow I'll clean and go thru the carb that came with this engine an see if it will work, will install a rectifier voltage regulator to see it the alternator is working, here's a video of the first run in years

Back