Picked Up a Generator Today

That is why I have the dislike for Technology that I do have. I just sent a message to my hearing aid company, Phonak. The sent me to an app to install on a smart phone :mad: to control the TV volume remotely without using the tiny buttons on the aids. After jumping through all the hoops and bypassing all the unwanted crap of it wanting to install and pair everything in the house to it, I finally got it to work. I simply asked them why they designed an app it takes a teenager to use when 95% of their customers are over 60-years-old? Reply was they would send the suggestion to Switzerland where the home company is located.

That is why I have the dislike for Technology that I do have. I just sent a message to my hearing aid company, Phonak. The sent me to an app to install on a smart phone :mad: to control the TV volume remotely without using the tiny buttons on the aids. After jumping through all the hoops and bypassing all the unwanted crap of it wanting to install and pair everything in the house to it, I finally got it to work. I simply asked them why they designed an app it takes a teenager to use when 95% of their customers are over 60-years-old? Reply was they would send the suggestion to Switzerland where the home company is located.
So they're going to send the suggestion to Switzerland and let a 18 year old Swiss answer back... :thumbs:

The O and I are pretty stupid. But Googling brings it to perspective. Well kinda ....
View attachment 78241

And another side.. Its only a 1 minute video..
The "I" represents power on, and the "O" represents power off. This designation will sometimes be I/O or the "I" and "O" characters on top of each other as a single character, as in this photo. Power Buttons on Computers Power buttons are on all kinds of computers, like desktops, tablets, netbooks, laptops, and more.

Best way is always recall O for OFF. Then the other one is ON. It's been this way since the early 80s. Most kitchen appliances have this with the switch. Oven lights, mixers, meat slicers, blenders, etc have these switches.

Several years ago Carolyn's Niece's husband bought a portable generator. He was on oxygen and was concerned that if they lost power he would be w/o oxygen. He passed away about 6 months ago and his wife is giving of most of his things to family but wanted to sell this generator. Listed it on FB Marketplace and Carolyn seen it and mentioned it to me. B&S 3500 watt full load, 4750 start up. Was only started once to make sure it ran and shut off and never turned over since. I gave her asking price of $350. We went and got it today. Her neighbor helped me lift it in the back of the van. New one same model lists for $500 today. Gas tank was empty. Oil was full. After unloading it by rolling it out the back of the van down 2 - 2x4 ramps I tried to start it. No go. Back does NOT like pulling a recoil start any more. Will check it out closer tomorrow afternoon. I have a feeling it has sat with gas in the carb. The fuel valve was shut off, but he probably just shut the switch off and then turned the fuel off. At least the carb is easy to get to.
I waited in this thread for awhile now, why are there no pictures of this thing posted yet ???

Because I am very forgetful and usually don't have the phone or camera with me. Promis I will post some as soon as I get it back.
More than likely you are right!
I will be really surprised if I get a reply. They have their $$ and could care less what I think. I knew I was in trouble when I got a full page of instructions with the link to the app. Just to adjust the volume?? Box with a knob and infra-red would have worked much simpler but everybody wants to do everything on their phone anymore.

First load it will get is an air compressor. Have 3 tires that need aired up in the machine shed. Wiring to the building is not heavy enough to run the compressor in colder weather.

Last edited:
Got it back from the shop this morning. Had several issues from sitting so long as was expected. Crud in the tank, carb needed cleaned out, new fuel valve and gas line. Gas engines do not run on diesel. I messed up and put road diesel in one of my red cans I intended to put gas in. Any way they put 2 gallons of non-alcohol long-life high-octane gas in it so if it sits for a while now it will still be good. Fired off on the first pull. Plugged the air compressor in and it handled it with just a short governor opening when it first started. Tires aired up, fuel shut off & carb run empty. Ready to go when it is wanted or needed again. With 30A output it will handle a couple three items in the house if we should happen to lose power some time.

20240206_223946.jpg 20240206_224027.jpg 20240206_224016.jpg

Guess I will have to make an umbrella for it. The instructions so not for outdoor use in rain or snow conditions, Want it at least 30 feet from any building. Etc., Etc.

30' from any building..... Hadn't heard that one.
I set mine just outside of the garage door, run the cord and shut the door on the cord. Id need 2x the cord to put it 30' out, which would put it in the middle of the driveway. Not gonna happen

I had to laugh at that too. Also said to point the muffler away from any occupied building so exhaust gases would not get it the building.
I guess if we have a power outage, and it is raining I can't use the generator safely. Some young attorney wrote those "safety reminders" that has never done a thing except carry groceries. Don't teach common sense in college.

30' from any building..... Hadn't heard that one.
I set mine just outside of the garage door, run the cord and shut the door on the cord. Id need 2x the cord to put it 30' out, which would put it in the middle of the driveway. Not gonna happen
They got to put these far extreme warnings on otherwise you know someone would have one in the middle of their living room running a lamp with it.. while cooking a hamburger on the gas grill in the kitchen..

I had to laugh at that too. Also said to point the muffler away from any occupied building so exhaust gases would not get it the building.
I guess if we have a power outage, and it is raining I can't use the generator safely. Some young attorney wrote those "safety reminders" that has never done a thing except carry groceries. Don't teach common sense in college.
It needs a dog house. :D

This has a door to fold down, and the genset glides out to start.
1707348873693.png

I used my generator for 6 months straight, then ran it dry, and put it away. It is electric start so it should be easy enough to start again.
Running till engine dies isn't quite a guarantee it won't foul the carb as it still leaves enough fuel to foul the main jet. If carb doesn't have a drain screw, it's way better to crack the bowl retaining bolt to totally drain the bowl. When they have a drain screw, I use the straw on a can of WD40 to spray it up in there to rinse all sign of fuel out. Didn't always have to do this, but today's gas is crap enough when fresh, and after a relatively short time really gets nasty.

Running till engine dies isn't quite a guarantee it won't foul the carb as it still leaves enough fuel to foul the main jet. If carb doesn't have a drain screw, it's way better to crack the bowl retaining bolt to totally drain the bowl. When they have a drain screw, I use the straw on a can of WD40 to spray it up in there to rinse all sign of fuel out. Didn't always have to do this, but today's gas is crap enough when fresh, and after a relatively short time really gets nasty.
If I have something that I'm putting in long term storage I usually run it dry, I usually use the choke when it starts to sputter, it pulls more fuel out of the bowl.

Looks like it will be a good workhorse for you, Roger! I still need to figure out cords for mine so It can actually be used during an outage.

Many years ago, when I was much younger, I had a senior moment and put 5 gallons of diesel in the '72 GMC, before it dawned on me what the he!! I was doing. It still had a quarter tank of gas in it, about 4 gallons. Figured I better see if I could get it home and drain the tank. It ran like crap obviously but made it. Didn't have any trouble draining the tank with a kerosene squeeze ball siphon pump with a couple feet of heater hose clamped on it. I did spill some on the running board though. I stepped out of the truck one time and my foot went out from under me and it was a$$ down on the running board then the concrete with my tailbone! Dang that hurt and I pooped blood for a couple days. Just filled up small gas cans and put about 10 gallons of gas in it. Squirted gas into the carb until it would run on it's own and the engine cleared out within a minute or two and ran well again.

DAC

Back