Picked Up a Generator Today

Looks like it will be a good workhorse for you, Roger! I still need to figure out cords for mine so It can actually be used during an outage.

DAC
I sure hope so. I have a good heavy grounded outdoor cord I plan to use with a 2 foot long 3 outlet extension. #12 stranded cord so it will handle the load if necessary. This unit has a carbon monoxide shut down on it. Supposed to shut the engine down when CO is detected.

I sure hope so. I have a good heavy grounded outdoor cord I plan to use with a 2 foot long 3 outlet extension. #12 stranded cord so it will handle the load if necessary. This unit has a carbon monoxide shut down on it. Supposed to shut the engine down when CO is detected.
That's what I need to figure out, Roger. Cord setup and wattage to see how many circuits my generator can handle. I doubt it could do the electric furnace but I would think it could do some lights, fridge and well pump. Maybe even a TV. Going to take some figuring. Then I better consider having more gas on hand too! This one has CO detect also, and probably would be a good idea for a doghouse like Brett suggested. Power goes out in blizzards. Not any other time of the year around here.

DAC

Check your manual, it should have a chart for wattage use for most home appliances. If it doesn't let me know and will copy the one in mine and post it, if I can figure out how to do that. Printer won't send copies to the computer without a hard wire connection.

Depends on what else you deem necessary to run while on the generator.
A furnace blower motor takes less juice to run vs the compressor for your AC.
The really bad part is that when you run AC both the compressor and the furnace blower motor have to run. You should be able to run the furnace if you need heat while the power is out but not the AC

I wasn't talking about anybody here, just comparing what I have vs what my buddy in Ohio has.... I wouldn't want his setup
Doesn't even have gas coming into the house, whether propane or NG. He's 100% electric. Furnace, stove, hot water , everything. Where he's at the only gas choice would be a big propane bottle somewhere on his yard.

Back