Question about AGM batteries in GT's

MNGB

Tractorologist
Hi all, I've been using GM batteries in my airplane for over 15 years best thing ever after 5 or so years I generally replace with a new battery and put the old one in my Heald hualer and it last for another 5 years if I don't leave a switch on and kill it this battery is a motorcycle battery an ETX14, so now I've been looking into going with an AGM battery for the Power Kings Suburbans etc but I'm finding it hard to do a real apples to apples comparison so many listing for batteries with no real good information to compare with. For example there's an E bay listing under PK item for one that supposely replaces the U1 GT battery dem are about the same but the listed wt is about half that of regular bats, its $70.00, walmart list some for $65.00 wt is about the same as regular bats but they are only 35 amp which is a light duty to me comes out to about 255 CCA I find anything less than 300 CCA only last a couple of years then there is the Wal-mart plain lead acid battery 340 CCA $40.00 So is anyone using an AGM battery in their GT's and how is it working?

I've had a 340 CCA lead acid battery in my MF 12 that has the winch operated loader. Its been in the tractor for at least 5 or more years now, still working good. I shouldn't of said that, I'll be out looking for a battery next week, knowing my luck, hehe. But, no I have not used a AGM battery Gary. So I don't know. And I find the same thing with the low CCA batteries. They only last two years or so.

Noel

Hi Noel yea I'll probably just go with a new 340 CCA battery the AGM may well be worth the extra dollars but I'd like more real world use information

I've been using these in the Lister Petters diesel some others and have had excellent luck with them. One is enough to start the Lister just fine. For their small size they pack a punch. Just wish the lugs were larger. Beware there are some cheap brands that aren't worth a tinkers darn.
1586755235532.png

How does that figure to CCA on that battery Chris ? Or does it. Are those the ones that are used to operate trailer brakes. If the trailer breaks away.

Noel

How does that figure to CCA on that battery Chris ? Or does it. Are those the ones that are used to operate trailer brakes. If the trailer breaks away.

Noel
Noel I was wondering that also what I found is there is no real way to convert amp hours to CCA but a get you close way is to multiply amp hour X 7.25 or divide CCA by 7.25

I've been using these in the Lister Petters diesel some others and have had excellent luck with them. One is enough to start the Lister just fine. For their small size they pack a punch. Just wish the lugs were larger. Beware there are some cheap brands that aren't worth a tinkers darn.
View attachment 24516
Ok Chris now you have to explain some what is a Lister Petters diesel and what are you using it for how big of an engine is it, know the AGM's really have power like I said been using them in my airplane for years

Well that battery Chris shows there Gary, would be about 130 CCA. That seems about right for the look of the size of battery.

Noel

Well here is the tractor it's in. Single cylinder diesel. If you like the sound of the old JD 2 cylinder diesels you'd really like the sound of this. Especially when it's under load. I thought I had better photos but I'm not finding them. This one is electric start and is installed in a Wheel Horse C160.
20200106_185015.jpg20200316_170209.jpg

Well here is the tractor it's in. Single cylinder diesel. If you like the sound of the old JD 2 cylinder diesels you'd really like the sound of this. Especially when it's under load. I thought I had better photos but I'm not finding them. This one is electric start and is installed in a Wheel Horse C160.
is View attachment 24518
Good looking installation is this yours Chris Like it and I'm not real big on diesels how much HP and I do like the sound of the 2 cyl John Deere's

I found out the hard way that torque and horsepower are two completely different animals.
At the rpm I'm running it is 5 hp. I have no idea what the torque is though. Originally I put it in a 10hp 8spd WH and it trashed the transaxle. Now have it in a 16hp frame and hope it holds up. Here is a bad video. I'm not much good at these things

Thanks for the video Chris it does sound like a John Deere, that's nice I like it

Well on the 29th of April I ordered an ABM battery a YTX 14 AH battery off Amazon it was delivered 5/1/2020, I couldn't believe how fast it got here, anyway very pleased with the battery installed it in my Super Tryke 3 wheel its taller then the ones I use in my Airplane and Heald Hauler but no problem had plenty of room as I had a GT battery in it before if I need to replace a battery in any of the PK's or Suburbans they will get one of these

Well the time to replace the battery in one of the Power Kings came a lot quicker than I thought it would went to start #3 yesterday battery dead jumped it ran good was charging did what I needed parked it close to the garage put the batttery charger on it this morning charger indicated it was charged up went start the engine just a little grunt so I ordered another of the AGM's

Last edited:
So is anyone using an AGM battery in their GT's and how is it working?

I realize this is aged, but I thought since the AGM question is so common, I would share, and provide a good PDF (attached) that gives all the stats per BCI number. I've found this to be a great guide for finding that just right battery.

I've used the $70 Harbor Freight Solar Battery for 2 years and over 200 hrs. I have 3 Thompson Warner Actuators that are very thirsty, full load 25amps (Johnny Bucket JR, and Power Sleeve). A 15amp Stator. The battery is U1 and fits into any common lawn and garden tractor spot that came with U1. There is a need to have longer positive and negative wires.

500 cca, 35 AHr, powerful little battery.

Here is what it looks like in my GT,

IMG_0835.JPG

Attachments

• battery_sizes.pdf
    125.6 KB · Views: 7
I've found this to be a great guide for finding that just right battery.
Good information. Thank you. :thumbs:
Didn't see anything about this one. Maybe I Have the wrong kind of battery. Either way one of these starts my diesel just fine.

• Universal Battery UB12180 Replacement Rhino Battery [Electronics]

Last edited:
I realize this is aged, but I thought since the AGM question is so common, I would share, and provide a good PDF (attached) that gives all the stats per BCI number. I've found this to be a great guide for finding that just right battery.

I've used the $70 Harbor Freight Solar Battery for 2 years and over 200 hrs. I have 3 Thompson Warner Actuators that are very thirsty, full load 25amps (Johnny Bucket JR, and Power Sleeve). A 15amp Stator. The battery is U1 and fits into any common lawn and garden tractor spot that came with U1. There is a need to have longer positive and negative wires.

500 cca, 35 AHr, powerful little battery.

Here is what it looks like in my GT,

View attachment 25653
Thanks for posting glad to hear about your experience and for the PDF the new battery is suppose to be here Monday

Back