Question about AGM batteries in GT's

The new AGM battery came yesterday. got busy and finished up the new battery hold down assy and this morning run the PK back into the shop removed the old dead battery and mounted the new down doan had to drill one hole as its smaller but that done changed the positive lead over to a eyelet connector and installed a new ground cable reconnected the wires and of course I missed one wire for the rear work / tail light and connecting the postive wires to the battery was a job so I got creative and cut the end out of the loop an slipped it in under the other wires tightened it up and its work cranked the engine and spun over and started very pleased with this install very happy with ordering from Amazon I placed the order 5/13/20 and got it 5/18/20 and the price was best I could find

Attachments

• HPIM0814.JPG
    HPIM0814.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM0815.JPG
    HPIM0815.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM0816.JPG
    HPIM0816.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM0817.JPG
    HPIM0817.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM0818.JPG
    HPIM0818.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM0819.JPG
    HPIM0819.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 8
This is what my small engine guy sells.
$ 85.00 Canadian. Good CCA at 200. That’s good I think.

Noel

Attachments

• BE54C157-C9B3-4B91-AFC3-3460B8337FE9.jpeg
    BE54C157-C9B3-4B91-AFC3-3460B8337FE9.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 5
This is what my small engine guy sells.
$ 85.00 Canadian. Good CCA at 200. That’s good I think.

Noel
Looks good to me hows the garden coming my potatoes are really looking good this year everything else so so

Hehe. Nothin planted yet Gary. Was hoping to plant next week. But we are going back to winter for the next week and wet. So it will be a bit yet before planting. But I have one potato plant growing. Guess it was in the ground since last year. Never got dug out.

Noel

Blue potato plant.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 7
Be carefull with what chargers you are using with AGMs. First AGM I ever bought red top Optima, I found I needed a smart charger. This was about 23 yrs back.
Below is a interesting maybe a little boring read. But does explain differences.

As a fleet mechanic I see a lot of both AGM and conventional batteries. Both came as OEM original equipment in the vehicles we see.
Also I have one on my Harley
One thing about AGM that I have noticed. They sure cost more than conventional but definitely don't last any longer.
I had one in one of my Dakotas that got wrecked about 7-8 years ago. It was here that I saw what is (maybe) the AGM only advantage.
When I wrecked that truck though the battery was restrained by it's hold down, it wound up flying out of it's hold down and ended up several feet away in the intersection. There was no acid mess from the battery case having busted open
As far as lasting, I bought one last October for my Harley. I had a battery tender on it thru the winter. Come March it was JUNK already and I had to replace it again. Luckily they warranted it, but at $125 was the most expensive battery I've ever bought, and the smallest as well.

Well my experience with AGM batteries is excellent, first used one back in 2003 my Kitfox I just sold had a Rotax 582 2 cylinder 2 stroke 64 hp engine and the battery used in the plane is a ETX14 12 V 200Amp hr, now the 582 is and engine that has to spin over fast or it won't start,. In the spring early April with a new battery it would start right up and I'd go flying now back then I didn't fly for 10/15 minutes I'd be up for an hour or more by the middle to the end of Sept no start crank and crank and crank until the battery was getting low connect a set of jumper cable and it would start instantly this went on from 1998 thru 2002. Winter of of 02/03 I did some research and decided to try an AGM battery installed it in the plane in April ( no special charger or charging) started the engine all summer all fall into mid Nov, plane sat in the hangar until April pulled the plane out the engine started right up like it was a new battery, in 2005 I converted from the Rotax to the HKS 700E 60 hp 2 cylinder aircraft engine this engine has 11.4 to 1 compression same 2003 battery went for the first start it cranked over and started almost instantly, in 2008 I replaced it with a new AGM ETX14 battery I figured 5 years was good service and the HKS has battery powered CDI ignition so why take any chances. installed the 5 year old battery in my 3 wheeler it went another 5 years and was going good until I forgot a switch on and ran it completely dead and that was it for that 10 year old AGM, that battery went thru 10 winters from Nov to late Mar early April with no tender no special charger. I now have AGM batteries in 3 of my Power King tractors my 3 wheeler my Heald Hualer and they work perfectly I get 10 years out of them they last they out crank any wet cell battery of the same size and I use no special chargers

Last edited:
As a fleet mechanic I see a lot of both AGM and conventional batteries. Both came as OEM original equipment in the vehicles we see.
Also I have one on my Harley
One thing about AGM that I have noticed. They sure cost more than conventional but definitely don't last any longer.
I had one in one of my Dakotas that got wrecked about 7-8 years ago. It was here that I saw what is (maybe) the AGM only advantage.
When I wrecked that truck though the battery was restrained by it's hold down, it wound up flying out of it's hold down and ended up several feet away in the intersection. There was no acid mess from the battery case having busted open
As far as lasting, I bought one last October for my Harley. I had a battery tender on it thru the winter. Come March it was JUNK already and I had to replace it again. Luckily they warranted it, but at $125 was the most expensive battery I've ever bought, and the smallest as well.
I first wanted to use AGMs in my car when I first tried them out 23 years ago. Leakage/safety in an accident were the reasons I wanted to use this newer technology.

Where I work they have dry stack boat storage. We do services on a lot of the boats. A lot of the bigger ones tend to lose the charge. Or sometimes the batts have a fairly decent draw from some other issue. Seems like the AGMs tend to not be able to be recovered like the flooded acid batterys. We are talking about voltage in the single digits. Sometimes 2-3 volt range.
Some of the bigger boats have 4-5 AGMs. We are talking several hundred per batt. So it is a lot of money when they have batts that are toast. Some are covered under warranty.

My experience with AGM bateries has been excellent they have better cranking power last many years longer than flood cell batteries, BUT as posted if they are aloowed to be comp;et;y drained mlike dead as a door knob they will not recover the are toast, I would sure think that with the boats disconnecting the batteries or a battery disconnect would be in order or the use of a battery tender even flooded cell batteries a slow drain to dead will greatly effect them some will not reover the ones that do will never be a 100% again

Back