Sandblasting

1 bag is plenty. Hang a tarp as back drop and place parts/ tractor on tarp on ground so you can recover media for reuse. SIFT your sand to avoid clogging. I sift new sand out of the bag as well. Clogging is too aggravating. A portable shelter is great for sandblasting but not necessary. Just makes recovery of media easier. I used 6 bags to completely sandblast this car inside/outside and underneath
Wear a respirator under your hood. Dust will find its way inside hood and if the tractor is old enough the dust will be lead based!

Attachments

• IMG_2678.JPG
    IMG_2678.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 15
1 bag is plenty. Hang a tarp as back drop and place parts/ tractor on tarp on ground so you can recover media for reuse. SIFT your sand to avoid clogging. I sift new sand out of the bag as well. Clogging is too aggravating. A portable shelter is great for sandblasting but not necessary. Just makes recovery of media easier. I used 6 bags to completely sandblast this car inside/outside and underneath
Wear a respirator under your hood. Dust will find its way inside hood and if the tractor is old enough the dust will be lead based!
I'm doing it at my buddy's shop he got a bigger compressor and a better sandblaster

Jazz, I have the same Harbor Freight pot. Did you need to do any mods to get your car done?

For me to try, it would be a wild guess and then run out of media 3 or 4 times.
Me too!

Jazz, I have the same Harbor Freight pot. Did you need to do any mods to get your car done?

Me too!

Not really any mods although I did have to change bottom valve, cost half the price of the pot. What is critical is sifting sand right out of the bag. Only takes a piece half the size of a corn kernel to clog up valve. I usually find a dozen or more in each bag. Sift through porch screen instead of having to remove valve and clear.

Not really any mods although I did have to change bottom valve, cost half the price of the pot. What is critical is sifting sand right out of the bag. Only takes a piece half the size of a corn kernel to clog up valve. I usually find a dozen or more in each bag. Sift through porch screen instead of having to remove valve and clear.
Thanks!
In addition, I have found that play sand is much cleaner than masonry sand.
Hmmm, that seems odd! But, I'll remember when I go to the store, thanks!

yup.... I often have to put my finger over the nozzle to blow back a clog.... and I will usually blast on a concrete surface, sweep up and screen the sand right back thru the blaster until it becomes unusable dust.
How much pressure? Siphon feed or pressure pot? How many layers of paint? How old? How much rust and scale? Its tough to say how much sand for a given job.

The last 2 GT projects I have been involved with, I actually had done, after the 1st I said I wouldn't pay someone again to do something I can do myself. That was my son's Cub Original. but it was being painted as a high school career center auto body class project (and it came out as such too... eh... so/so. (We supplied the paint as requested and I discovered one brand of Cub Cadet Yellow NOT to buy again)
the last one I had done was the 2 stage snow blower that I bought last year for my Ariens GT. It had been in a barn fire... not the cause of the fire, but an unfortunate case of "being in the wrong place at the wrong time".... in storage for the season. I had bought the unit around this time last year and that was the only way I would get it overhauled and in any kind of shape to be usable to me "that" winter. I also had that one powdercoated while there, and in pieces.... wow, you want to talk about sticker shock.... if Id have gotten it in June, I'd have blasted it myself and painted it out of a gun in my backyard/ but the 1st week of Dec in Illinois, isn't exactly ideal for that kind of work outside.

I set up a few corner posts in my utility trailer, spread some plastic out, gear up VERY well, sift play sand, & blast. I usually get about three uses from each bag. When I use the cabinet for small parts I use Black Beauty.

I use slica sand I buy from Lowe's 100 pounds is 17.35 today. I get a 10% vet's discount.

My pot is a pressure pot and hang the tarp up and lay out to sand blast hits the hanging part and settled on the part laying.
Use a shop vac to collect it so a lot of the dust gets blown out, then I sift it thru a screen attacked to a shaker box.

:D Al

I use slica sand I buy from Lowe's 100 pounds is 17.35 today. I get a 10% vet's discount.

My pot is a pressure pot and hang the tarp up and lay out to sand blast hits the hanging part and settled on the part laying.
Use a shop vac to collect it so a lot of the dust gets blown out, then I sift it thru a screen attacked to a shaker box.

My buddy told me of a place that it $7 for 100 lbs

In an enclosed area I have a large fan set to slow and blowing a constant cloud of dust out into the atmosphere or it gets pretty darn foggy in the wigwam,,foggier than me;)
I always use Black Beauty fine, on the second use its extra fine and never any silica based products. Make sure you have a 1/2 respirator on, a dust mask is not enough. Guy who bought my very old house sanded all the paint off exterior, ended up in hospital with lead poisoning, not pretty.

What type of compressor are you guy's using for sandblasting?

I have a 5 hp 3 cylinder RK (Canadian Built) 18 CFM at 90 PSI. Anything less will allow you plenty of beer breaks waiting for compressor to refill. For GT, smaller panels and pieces you could no doubt get by with lesser unit. 7CFM @90PSI is tolerable for smaller projects.
Its all about CFM, some 60 gallon compressors, as impressive as they are in size may only produce 11 CFM. Certainly great for tractors but not tackling some of my projects
IMG_2679.JPG

Last edited:
I have a 5hp upright with a 60 gallon tank.

not all 5hp upright compressors with a 60 gallon tank are created equal. for faster build up of air volume it needs to be a 2 stage pump on there or you will be standing on the sidelines and waiting for pressure to build enough to continue, as much as you will actually be blasting. been there done that. do you know what CFM at what PSI that compressor is rated at?

I have been using my old Curtiss 5hp shop compressor for several years. I don't know what CFM it is, but it produces enough air for my blast cabinet. My pressure pot will run it to death if I don't take breaks often enough. We had an old trailer model compressor that I used for years that was rated at 125 CFM @ 100 PSI. It worked nice, but sometimes it didn't want to build pressure when it was in run mode. The last time, after it sat for a while, it refuses to build pressure. We have tried to find info on the machine or someone who knows old compressor's with out much luck. So it just sits for now waiting to be worked on.

With that compressor down I've been watching CL for the last year or two for a newer replacement. Well last week one came up for sale at a good price. We looked at it and decided to bring it home. Its was advertised as a MultiQuip 130, but when we looked at the title it was the 185 model. The PO used it in his landscape business for blowing out sprinkler systems and had it turned down to 70 psi. We turned it up to 100 PSI for now and will see how that works. It has a max of 125 PSI.

100_0892 (Medium).JPG

Back