Sawdust’s Garden 2022

Got our first few red tomatoes today, finished canning radishes, still canning and freezing cucumbers, picked 113 ear of Peaches and Cream corn this morning. Carol vacuum sealed and froze 3 dozen on the ear this morning hopefully a few more dozen tomorrow then freeze some off the ear and can the rest. We still have a lot of ears that will be ready in about a week. Beets are on stand by ready when we are. Newly planted winter onions are sprouting, squash are done, a few more pumpkins are forming, the rest are drying well but a little early I think for Fall, finally picked four bell peppers. It was a real good day feeling very blessed.
7381BEB2-9173-472A-AAFA-372F15556E07.jpeg
9AE246AC-D47F-4CC0-A8A8-06AF9046F36C.jpegCCFAF302-4E23-4724-81DD-BF2C8D6F0F50.jpeg

Last edited:
Years ago when my youngest was still in a high chair I would come in from picking sweat peas and he would start saying "candy daddy candy". If we have a garden we have sweat peas. They are so darned good fresh from the garden.
Chris what are some of the varieties of peas that you have grown and liked.

We don't raise corn for 2 reasons. Being 200 yds from a creek with a trees for a mile both ways and CRP bordering 2 side of the garden about impossible to keep the racoon out. Other reason we can buy good sweet corn for $5-6 a bakers dozen, locally grown. Can't mess with it for that.

We plant sweetcorn at intervals so we have fresh to eat long after the local stands are closed.
Chris what are some of the varieties of peas that you have grown and liked.
We have planted different varieties over the years and seems like all that say Sweet have been good. The ones we planted this year are small but still good eating. Try to find a larger variety if possible. We also put up netting for them to climb as it's easier to pick them.

We plant sweetcorn at intervals so we have fresh to eat long after the local stands are closed.

We have planted different varieties over the years and seems like all that say Sweet have been good. The ones we planted this year are small but still good eating. Try to find a larger variety if possible. We also put up netting for them to climb as it's easier to pick them.
We just planted one planting of Peaches and Cream this year. We normally plant two plantings too which I think is better and easier to put up. I might try two different types of corn next year.
I agree a net, or fence sure beats bending over.

Last edited:
We had an outstanding day yesterday. I shucked corn on the back porch while it rained and drinking coffee. Once I got ahead of Carol which is hard to do I cut the corn off the cob then back out shucking. She had the pressure cooker going on the back porch using our two burner camp stove… them cookers make me nervous.:eek: 5 dozen frozen on the cob, 17 pints of whole corn canned. Next batch she wants to do cream style canned. Going to rest today and hit the Worlds Largest Yard Sale tomorrow then can beets on Monday. Life is good!

We don't raise corn for 2 reasons. Being 200 yds from a creek with a trees for a mile both ways and CRP bordering 2 side of the garden about impossible to keep the racoon out. Other reason we can buy good sweet corn for $5-6 a bakers dozen, locally grown. Can't mess with it for that.
Sometimes just the joy of doing things makes it worth the effort.

Sometimes just the joy of doing things makes it worth the effort.
That is why we keep gardening, until it isn't fun any more.

Getting ready to put up another batch of frozen cucumber salad. Granddaughter will be here for a few days starting tomorrow so will do a batch of B&B again then. Monday to be a lot cooler so will be outside in the morning doing fun stuff.

We put up enough corn last year that we get to take this year off.
I might try two different types of corn next year.
If I could make a suggestion plant the "Incredible" variety. It's what we have been planting for years now. I'm not bragging when I say this but it's all our family wants to eat. It's that good. As a matter of fact if next spring you send me your address I'll provide the seed as our COOP sells it in 1/4 lb bags and I'll have more than I can plant. At least in our soil we have found nothing better.

We put up enough corn last year that we get to take this year off.

If I could make a suggestion plant the "Incredible" variety. It's what we have been planting for years now. I'm not bragging when I say this but it's all our family wants to eat. It's that good. As a matter of fact if next spring you send me your address I'll provide the seed as our COOP sells it in 1/4 lb bags and I'll have more than I can plant. At least in our soil we have found nothing better.
I will do that Chris that sounds good. Thanks!

We wrapped up the corn this morning, I picked 6 dozen, shucked it and cut it off the cob for cream style corn. This batch had several small ears but is ok for the cream style. I was going to pick the beets but too tired. Raining all day tomorrow so Thursday will be good for that. Carol ended up canning 12 pints of cream style and froze some more of the larger ears on the cob.
37DCE8F8-2677-4EA9-B102-EBBDC6E78066.jpeg

Is your cream corn anything like fried corn. When we get corn I just slice through the top of the kernel and scrape the juice off and put in skillet and fry it with a little butter and a spoon full of sugar then put in freezer bags.

Is your cream corn anything like fried corn. When we get corn I just slice through the top of the kernel and scrape the juice off and put in skillet and fry it with a little butter and a spoon full of sugar then put in freezer bags.
Whole kernel we just cut the corn off close to the cob then freeze or can it. Cream Style like you mentioned just cut through the top of the kernel then scrape the cob then freeze or can. Carol adds the butter and a little sugar when she fixes it to eat.

Today pulled all the beets up they done very well. I picked what zucchini, squash, and pumpkins that was left then pulled all the plants and vines out. Some of the debris I put in the compost and the other stuff went to the burn pile. I lined up two tractors with yard carts one had the beets and the other held all the tops as I cut them off. It was a beautiful day brisk this morning with a nice breeze under the Maple tree. Carol canned what bush beans were left got 5 more quarts. Picked several bell peppers sliced some and diced the others. Just like last year the peppers sit there so slow then late summer all the way to frost peppers everywhere. Cucumbers are doing well she’s been canning them every way imaginable plus freezing some cucumber salad. We are giving a lot away going to drop a few bags off to friends tomorrow not far away. I’m hoping the ground will dry a little more I would like to till some areas under.
12C64C76-B4FF-4764-A74D-08D857649C6D.jpeg93EF0B5C-0C94-4015-9579-40A853315C67.jpegD47A4642-6F3D-4866-909F-B4623D0BFCFB.jpeg69A8BB8B-5D07-418C-A4ED-8B338703D038.jpeg
E7F53505-D1C2-4B30-86A6-2408547BE111.png0500994B-07C8-4E8B-B0C0-4F28C137DB69.png99C7140B-831E-4DB4-BCE6-B69218B8182B.png

Back