Sawdust’s Garden 2022

I dug what potatoes we had left, not a good year for them, and cultivated the peppers. I cut and bagged some grass a couple of days ago in the field over from our garden then tossed it in the raised beds and around the peppers. I tilled up the area where we had the squash, zucchini, and pumpkins a few days ago. Our cucumbers are almost done maybe I’ll clean them out next week. The tomatoes are coming in like crazy she’s been canning spaghetti sauce, stewed, and sauce. Later she’ll be canning some sliced green tomatoes for frying. I’m glad I never watched movies today it’ll feel better to watch them while it’s raining tomorrow.
EB8A1778-04E4-4D66-8BD3-96F4C2000D93.jpegA15ED7BA-F55D-4DF5-9A5B-2AE98D2D1D82.jpeg98E9922E-2318-4087-BFE9-8CF1698A4537.jpeg

Our cucumbers are about done. What is there is the big ones that will get chopped up and make goat feed. Acorn squash is slow like the watermelon and muskmelon. Don't know what we planted for muskmelon but they are big and green striped. Will check them for ripeness tomorrow. The Big Moon pumpkins are growing good yet. Tomatoes are coming on like crazy and about to take another batch up to the neighbors. Have made up a bunch of stewed and froze them. Bell Peppers are doing super good yet. About time for stuffed peppers again. Same with BLT's. Egg plant had about 2 dozen on it yet. Different variety this year that only gets about 1.5" diameter and 8-10" long, nice and straight. Neighbor loves Egg Plant so he gets most of them. Trade garden excess for a big hay bale for the goats. Works good for both of us.

We are getting cucumbers like crazy now. We can't keep up with them and we only have two plants. Wife picks them when they are around 10" long. She just brought in the first ripe tomatoes. The cherry tomatoes we've been eating for a while. Second planting of sweet corn is done and the third planting will be ready in a week or two. Been dry so the potatoes are small, tennis ball size and smaller but good eating. Been eating the Yukon Golds skin and all as the skins are thin. The Reds keep better so they will be dug this fall.
Soybean fields are turning yellow already. Been a dry summer.

We went down to the garden this morning. Came back to the house with a 5 gal pail of tomatoes off 3 plants. A 3 gal. pail of bell peppers, 8-10 Egg Plant and three nice size watermelon. Georgia Rattlesnake watermelons are a little smaller this year, around 14 - 16 lbs. Did get on larger close to 25 lbs.

We are getting cucumbers like crazy now. We can't keep up with them and we only have two plants. Wife picks them when they are around 10" long. She just brought in the first ripe tomatoes. The cherry tomatoes we've been eating for a while. Second planting of sweet corn is done and the third planting will be ready in a week or two. Been dry so the potatoes are small, tennis ball size and smaller but good eating. Been eating the Yukon Golds skin and all as the skins are thin. The Reds keep better so they will be dug this fall.
Soybean fields are turning yellow already. Been a dry summer.
How far apart are your corn plantings Chris. We did two plantings at our old place about three weeks apart but just one here. We’re thankful for a good harvest but even though I picked it three different times that was way too much corn at one time.

Your 3 weeks apart is about the same as us. Just depends on how fast the previous planting comes up. Like to wait until the plants are about 2 inches high before the next planting. Used to plant 1 row but they didn't pollenate well and many kernels were missing on the cob. This year I planted 2 half rows side by side and the cobs filled out nicely.

Carol wrapped up the pickles yesterday with some Bread and Butter pickles mostly for our oldest daughter. We still have a lot leftover from last year. We spent the entire day yesterday juicing tomatoes. She made up some spaghetti sauce next up tomato sauce, stewed and thinking about making some ketchup. We’ve never done ketchup before so won’t be making much of that just a trial thing first. Been freezing all the peppers. Things are winding down now kind of sad seeing things drying off but thankful for a good harvest.
C4FC4F74-1A11-43C5-93AC-44593C61CFF1.jpeg4252D656-9117-4DE4-8448-7419C5D22AE4.jpegFE793FD0-5BA1-4DB7-AB5A-D704D0936E8D.jpeg

I love homemade pickles! My moms friend makes them and they are amazing. I sit down and eat the whole jar.

I am going full bore next year on the garden. I keep hearing about different types of vegetable shortages.

there is no reason in the world for us to be buying vegetables when we can grow and can all of our own stuff. Just laziness! I wish I had a bit more room I’d go all in on being self sufficient.

We tried making tomato juice mainly for tomato beers. Ended up with about as much water as tomato juice so gave that up as a bad adventure. Don't to the paste or other stuff as I don't care much for cooked tomatoes. Some in spaghetti sauce is about it. Like my tomato's fresh sliced. For just the 2 of us don't pay to make a big variety.

We tried making tomato juice mainly for tomato beers. Ended up with about as much water as tomato juice so gave that up as a bad adventure. Don't to the paste or other stuff as I don't care much for cooked tomatoes. Some in spaghetti sauce is about it. Like my tomato's fresh sliced. For just the 2 of us don't pay to make a big variety.
If your ending up with a lot of water or some separation your not cooking them down long enough.

If your ending up with a lot of water or some separation your not cooking them down long enough.
Your probably right. For no more than we use it would be cheaper to buy a can of juice now and then rather than pay for the gas to cook them for hours on end. Home canning is better product but is a long way from free or even cheap at times.

Your probably right. For no more than we use it would be cheaper to buy a can of juice now and then rather than pay for the gas to cook them for hours on end. Home canning is better product but is a long way from free or even cheap at times.
We aren’t making any juice just tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, stewed, and some ketchup. Roger do you like fried green tomatoes? If so try canning those they are really good.

Carolyn likes the fired green tomatoes. Not sure that I have every ate them. Herd a lot of talk about them. Problem is having the energy to do that much canning any more. The older we get the get up and go done got up and went.

Going to do some apples but will be fresh type eating like apple pie, crisp, Air Fryer fried apples, etc. Picked a 5 gal. pail of Red Delicious this morning. About all that was on the tree worth picking. To dry all summer.

I didn't get my trees sprayed like I should have so apples are not that good. Lot of the Gala have worm hole and the center is bad but sure taste good. Haven't tried the Delicious yet.

Back