Sawdust’s Garden 2023

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
We got started on our tomato, pepper, and cabbage seeds today. We’re cutting back some this year. A couple of friends didn’t show much appreciation for free plants last year, our son and one of our daughters are starting their own plants. We started 12 Roma’s for canning, 12 Bodacious, 10 Supersteak, and 2 Cherry tomatoes. We also started 12 Sweet Bell Peppers, 18 Jalapeños, and 6 Poblano's. Everything else will be direct planted when it warms up. We have a good warm spell most of next week so I might plant some onions and lettuce in the raised beds. It sure feels good getting a little dirty.
01E09053-A884-4262-9C64-99E72B0D32F1.jpeg9CE182F9-506E-4D94-9885-CF6A09BD650D.jpeg

Nice Jim. We are getting some snow and mess next week. Temperature around the freezing mark. So who knows what we will get.
Was thinking about finding the package of the carrots we had for Xmas carrots. They were good. So I’d like to use the same ones this year.

Noel

The last couple of years, we had a long hot summer. The tomatoes did terrible. A lot of early fruit stayed green and didn't wan t to ripen. Later when it was really hot, the flowers didn't want to pollinate.
I'm wondering what varieties are heat resistant.

Burpee's is hard to beat for good seed. Can't ever remember being disappointed with the germination rate.
We are suppose to have snow a lot of next week. Daughter in-law has plants coming up like crazy. Hope they don't get too big before planting.

Nice Jim. We are getting some snow and mess next week. Temperature around the freezing mark. So who knows what we will get.
Was thinking about finding the package of the carrots we had for Xmas carrots. They were good. So I’d like to use the same ones this year.

Noel
Do you have some of last years carrot seeds left over or need to buy new. I talked Carol into getting regular long carrots this year. Those tiny fat things I didn’t like, it took too many to amount to any thing.

Burpee's is hard to beat for good seed. Can't ever remember being disappointed with the germination rate.
We are suppose to have snow a lot of next week. Daughter in-law has plants coming up like crazy. Hope they don't get too big before planting.
Chris that’s good your DIL is doing that. We have our only son and one of our two daughters do gardens. I thought we were getting a jump on seed starting compared to last year but it was the same time. Our daughter has tomatoes about 3” high and she’s giving me a hard time for just getting started.

Looking at an area we don't mow any more to clear a 4X4 ft square out and kill out for the gourds and giant pumpkins. Till the ground up good, hills, plant and preen it good around the hill and let them go. Grass only gets about 10" to a foot tall. We buy our plants from an Amish green house. Nice plants and have never had an issue with them and under $1 a plant. Can't mess around trying to grow seeds for that. Cutting way back this year. Daughters family don't ear vegetables :( the other two boys never find time to come get stuff when it is ready and not going to raise it and then haul it to them 40 & 80 miles. Will put in enough for the two of us and the neighbor that we trade garden stuff for winter hay for the goats. 45 days away from doing anything in the garden yet.

We enjoy starting our own plants it does get a little aggravating hardening them off if temps drop down a lot but our 78 plants that we started came out to .19 a plant that’s well worth the effort. We still plan on giving some stuff away but not like usual. Like you mentioned Roger some folks will say when will you be passing my way so you can drop things off…not this year.

The tomatoes and cabbages are popping up, peppers for some reason always take longer. BF84BE3E-7F74-4610-ABD8-85A7F3785815.jpeg

Only have one double window to the South and Magnum claims both of them. One for his toy box he sits on to watch for deer and the other for his bed and toys. Would have to use a grow light.
Once they sprout we hang a grow light, if you don’t they tend to get leggy stretching to get light. This morning they were leaning towards the window. Once I hung the light their standing straight up like they should.

I picked up our seed potatoes and some onion sets yesterday. It felt really good going into the garden store. I got 5lbs. each of Russets, Yukon Gold, and Red Pontiac. We have about 15lbs. of various tubers from last year that already have sprouts a foot long. I bought 1lb. each of yellow, white, and red onion sets. The prices were lower than I expected. The potatoes were $1.25 a pound and the onions were $2.99 a pound.

I’m going to cut grass today for the first time this year. It won’t be the whole yard but I have several areas that are getting too high right now. If the raised beds are dry enough I might put some onions out.

The seeds we planted for tomatoes and peppers are not all coming up. The tomatoes are getting their second leaves so we’ll be transplanting them soon. I had to replant six tomatoes and four peppers. Cabbages all came up and doing well.

Attachments

• DD096505-D5A8-44E5-9BA8-8BC6895CC9F2.jpeg
    DD096505-D5A8-44E5-9BA8-8BC6895CC9F2.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 35B524D3-FACF-416A-831E-C5B94CE49323.jpeg
    35B524D3-FACF-416A-831E-C5B94CE49323.jpeg
    278.4 KB · Views: 3
  • ECD4B251-1EEF-4657-9E69-403655F0C7A4.jpeg
    ECD4B251-1EEF-4657-9E69-403655F0C7A4.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 3
Back