sears suburban 12 info please

jabelman

Tractorologist
a while back an individual I know is retiring and downsizing said he a garden he wanted to give me since he knew I restored them. he said it was a sears or craftsman that has been sitting for years.
another friend picked it up for over the weekend and it's a little closer for me to get now, so what I think what I got I still haven't seen it yet is a 68 suburban 12 with a mower deck, Sickle bar, snowblower, chains, weights, and a tine cultivator. it rolls and the engine turns over by hand is all I know.
anyway, I never ran a sears machine before anything to look out for on these? I assume it has the 12hp tech engine in it and a geared trans. if by chance the engine is toast has anyone swapped in a modern engine into one before. hoping it's good enough to get using again.

I have a 1968 Super 12. It's a great Garden Tractor when running. The only issue I have had is with the Solid State Ignition. There are after market upgrades for it.
You have a good start on attachments already. I have some manuals/brochures. There are some sites on-line that have lots of downloadable information.
Good luck with your new G.T. Rick

Attachments

• sears111.png
    sears111.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 31
Hi jabelman I have a 67 Suburban S12 and its my go to tractor in the summer I don't have a deck for it but have installed a sleeve have used it for tilling towing a trailer have plowed the garden with it used it to disc dig etc the biggest thing most likely will be the carb it will need to be cleaned and check the throttle shaft if its loose its impossible to tune the engine to run right but once its running good that Tec just purrs and runs so nice another trouble area is the SSI (solid state ignition) if it has spark its good to go if not and it needs to be replaced I recommend Dale Coverts after market system it is a plug and play system and works Home
The Suburban has a heavy duty transaxle assy with hi - low range with 3 forward and reverse good luck

The tec is a strong engine as long as the solid state module holds on. The overnight solutions setup works great. Running one on an hh100

Ooooo. A Sears. How hard will it be to get pictures?
Until we know what year, we won't know whether or not you have solid state or points.
either way, there are lots of parts units out there and there are replacement parts / aftermarket parts.
As for the attachments, it took me years to get some of those.
Sounds like a nice package

I like that purple, almost painted a panzer that color but went stock instead.

I am hoping it's not a dud, fingers crossed I can save the engine, just by looking at all the pics I got sent all the original stickers are still there so it's going to get scuffed and waxed/clear keeping all the original patina
option 2 would be repower I would like to keep this a low budget, using it more as a worker than show

option 3 if it's to far gone or broke it's going be yard art

Definitely a CDI engine.
If it has spark on roll over, it'll run.
The sickle is from that same era. If she R ns, it's a great start to a fun machine. I have done a LOT of plow days with mine. Almost never gives me grief.
BTW, drain the water and goop out of the tranny asap.
I read the Trans uses 30 weight motor oil? 5 quarts

90 percent of the time that people think a SSI is bad,IT ISN'T.
Just like a Briggs coil and points setup these old ignitions require cleaning and maintanance.
Pull the tin and the flywheel,clean the pickup coil and flywheel,then clean the SSI and flywheel contact. Be sure all is gapped right.
90 percent of the time you are good to go.
I have been thru a lot of HH engines thru the years and I still go thru them.

Back