Should I trade tractors??

reedb66

Tractorologist
I just wondered what you guys thought.I love to 100 and 200 series John Deeres and a friend of mine got this off a guy early this spring,I was jealous then,He got it for a couple hundred bucks A guy had bought it then needed to sell as he needed money so my friend Tyler got it,It has had a recent restore(Its just dirty)That was done really very well.Frame off restore,The engine was completely rebuilt at that time and a new hour meter was installed,It now reads 449 hours I believe.I took the pic of the hour meter and am writing this squinting at the pic because I wasnt smart enough to look before I came home from the shop.If I remember right it was a restore done at votech for the senior project.So I would believe it to be done well.As you can see it has the hitch on it and AG tires that are like new and a nice seat and real nice paint(No over spray anywhere)It also has a custom and nice looking grill guard and has the hydraulic lift,Runs great.Only 1 problem,,,The bolt for the variator backed out and fell out (Still have) so the variator is just laying loose in there.I know Tyler mowed all summer with it at his house and he wants to trade me for the craftsman mower my son had issues with the other day,I repaired the craftsman and he was mowing with me yesterday and it is fine.I would be keeping the AG tires on the craftsman also and installing some turf tires,(Those AG tires will look real nice on the Toro I own)Tylers reason is he wants a hydro for his place ,Not the old gear drive.To me its more than well worth trading but I actually havent worked on a John Deere variator yet and wanted to know if I needed to be cautious.Also he has the other engine shroud and an extra deck for it .Well tell me what you guys think Thank you!!

Attachments

• PTDC0049 (3).JPG
    PTDC0049 (3).JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 27
  • PTDC0047 (3).JPG
    PTDC0047 (3).JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 27
  • PTDC0048 (3).JPG
    PTDC0048 (3).JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 29
  • PTDC0055.JPG
    PTDC0055.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 29
  • PTDC0052.JPG
    PTDC0052.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 29
  • PTDC0050 (3).JPG
    PTDC0050 (3).JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 27
  • PTDC0061.JPG
    PTDC0061.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 25
  • PTDC0051.JPG
    PTDC0051.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 23
  • PTDC0041 (3).JPG
    PTDC0041 (3).JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 23
  • PTDC0040 (3).JPG
    PTDC0040 (3).JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 22
I don't know much about the JD Variator, but I think they are similar to the MF Vari-Speed. This is the only Vari-speed issue I ever had back in 2012. The outer part unscrewed. Used a pipe wrench to install it and it stays on fine. I take it apart and put fresh oil in it every couple of mowing seasons. I'ts due again. I would think a hydro is smoother but I would trade for the JD. That's a very uneducated opinion though. I just think it's a cooler tractor----LOL!

On the MF Vari-speed, the countersunk screw that holds the main shaft on is left hand thread.

DAC

Attachments

• MF12 vari drive.jpg
    MF12 vari drive.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I’d trade in a heartbeat. Variator is an easy fix may be a take a little time to readjust it once the bolt is back in. Manual shows how to repair them very well.
Look on YouTube if your unsure about the variator. No need to worry you have the ability to fix it.
It’s a hydraulic lift with a integral hitch on it already. Very collectible and a hard working tractor.

I would suggest you make sure there isnt anything else wrong with the variator pulley, its an expensive part and not very accessable for working on. But the 210 with its Peerless 2300 transaxle is a much more capable tractor than your Craftsman.

I was thinking I probably would trade as I know there is a huge difference in the 2 tractors,I have roughly $50 in the craftsman but it has mowed a LOT of lawns for me in the last several weeks since I picked it up so really it owes me nothing even with repairs.I figured I could repair the variator I just wondered how the bolt would back out in the first place.There appears to be no damage to the threads on it so maybe it will be a clean and lube and reassemble real easily.Its the right colors for me also and its actually a garden tractor not a self propelled lawn mower!

Personally I would like those JD alot more if they didnt have that variator in there, it is nice to have the ability to fine tune your ground speed but its a rather over complicated setup IMO, Many tractors use that very same Tecumseh/Peerless 2300 series transmission without a variator, they all have similar low end ratios but the variator allows for higher ratios and faster top speed overall. Having the variator just means there is an extra belt that may slip or may need to be replaced. Nice when it works but its also more moving parts to wear out.... and its not in an easy place to work on.

I have a 214 in the shop right now and that variator pulley is stuck in the lowest ratio position... so before pulling it apart I told the owner to price out a new variator in case this one wasnt repairable..... he called Cervus and they gave him a quote of nearly $400cad.... so for now I suggested using it as is and watch for a good deal on a donor tractor. He just uses the tractor for tilling so being stuck in low ratio isnt an issue for the time being.

I own a 110 that works properly and its a very capable little tractor, I used it to push snow with my 54" blade one winter but mostly the wife uses it to pull a garden cart around, sweet little tractor but I dont find the variator very useful.

Well I traded and have begun work on the 210.The bolt had come out of the variator and thus it ATE and I do mean ATE the belt,The shorter one.The other belt looks like new so I removed the variator and began cleaning up the belt mess,Going to get a new belt tomorrow for it.Decided to change out the trans oil also seeing as I was there anyway,That was gray colored with moisture and by its looks it was the original oil and thin as water,I left it to drain over nite.I also need to repair a small hydraulic leak then hopefully put her back thoether

When replacing the drive belts with the variator it is better to do both at the same time . I've tried doing just one a few times and its always the same result .I end up taking it back apart and putting the second one on.
Glad the repair is working out for you.

Back