Simpilicty 3416 about to give up on it

So, because I don’t know any thing about simplicity tractors. How is a snow thrower and a tiller hooked up belt wise , on the tractor Gary ? How is the belt run to operate those attachments.

Noel

the tiller runs off the same pto clutch as the mower.... belt runs on the outer groove and goes straight back thru a couple other tension/alignment pulleys. snowblower runs off the front of the engine, belt goes down to a two pulley mule drive then forward,

I am going throw another bit in as I
have blower for my 7112 and mt DA 16. the blower for the 7112 runs off the manual PTO on the front and the blower for DA 916 runs off the center PTO.

Lol.. you only need a faceful of grass once or twice before you figure it out.

I had a a 7016 but the motor was bad so I never got to try that one out. Big disappointment because I really like the old B&S singles.

Lance, isn't the MTD 960 the same tractor as the White 1655? Runs in my mind that I was told the manual for the 960 would work for the 1655. 1655 has the L head twin and 3 point.

the 960 are kind of an odd ball.... most manufactures of the day would only build manual gearbox tractors up to 10-12hp with a belt clutch, then when they built a hydrostatic model they would use a 14-16hp.... a hydro system is not as effecient so they require more hp.... but the 960 has a 16hp engine paired to a manual shift transaxle through a fiber disc clutch... I'll be the first admit a 960 is not the nicest tractor to operate BUT... it is very effecient at transferring those 16hp to the rear wheels.. and it is about 900# before attachments or added ballast. My Columbia is approx 1200# without my skinny ass on it... Ive often hooked up to 6000# plus tractors and drove off on grass or gravel without spinning a tire.. and no chains either. I dont much care for anything else MTD has built but the 960 consistantly impresses the heII outta me.

Well the new belt came and I installed it looked good but I thought there should be more tension on the belt so I got to looking it over trying to figure out why the lever and spring didn't tighten it finally I seen that someone previously had added a stop to the idler pulley assy bracket so it couldn't tighten the belt, I removed the stop engaged the clutch and right away seen why they added the stop now the V idler pulley was contacting the clutch engage bracket and the sparks were a flying, pretty sure they replaced the V idler pulley and instead of getting an "A" width 4" pulley they used a universal (A/B) pulley its 4" for "A" belts and 4.5" for "B" belts so has about .25 to .5" to much diameter. I ground some off the lip of the pulley that was rubbing realigned the pulley and now it pretty good, will be checking the old decks I have to see if there's a usable pulley if not will order one. So I'm thinking I found the problem time will tell oh and the belt is nice with the right amount of tension on it

A while back I searched high and low for a 3" A belt 3/8"bore idler pulley. Of course OEM was NLA. Never did come up with one so went with a 4" A/B belt pulley. The A belt rides deep enough it is close to the OEM 3" A and with a new belt worked out OK.

Back