Steering wheel

I’ve used tire dressing on them and they come back and have also used black appliance paint with very good results on older round fender units.
clean it good with rubbing alcohol or lacquer thinner . I did not primer it just a few light coats

Tire dressing is good or a little tranny fluid rubbed in good then wiped off. Dont use the Rustole.. paint for plastic. It stays tacky for ever & is not durable.

I'd hate to paint it. I feel like any paint would just rub off in your hands eventually.

Is it rubber or hard plastic?

I think I'd try just soaking it in WD40 or liberal coats of armorall
I'd think that too... But they spray it on seats and doesn't come off on your white paints..??

I actually redone several older wheels, old bakelite and sheller wheels, after fixing all the cracks and voids with filler they get sanded, spray with auto primer and then color either black or almond rustoleum and then clear coat it, never had an issue with wear or drying, not sure about the plastic wheels I would use caution using petroleum products on it may make the plastic brittle

Possibly paint would work. 5 years ago I painted the steering wheel on my '55 GMC. Picture is today. It still looks pretty good and I've never noticed any black on my hands. It hasn't worn through anywhere. The paint is ordinary Krylon satin black spray bomb

DAC.

Attachments

• DSCN1279.JPG
    DSCN1279.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 10
I have painted quite a few with rustoleum black no primer clean well with alcohol, never had a problem with it coming off most of the steering wheels are plastic, I have also used Dipit a spray vinyl on hard rubber steering wheels works great and is easy to clean.

Back