THE BALER FROM HELL!

skyrydr2

Tractorologist
Last summer started off my haying experience at a hard core level so I could have feed for my critters. Anyone that says "you can buy hay just as cheap " is a dreamer! It cost me THOUSANDS TO FEED MY CRITTERS for only a few months!
So I decided it was time to make it myself.
Had a few issues with tractors and baler ,but made it through the season. This spring while inspecting the equipment we found the old baler was really hurting and getting messed up beyond reasonable cost so started the hunt for a newer more productive unit.
Finds a 575 NH at the same dealer we got the old one from 15 years ago.. figured that he was a good guy and sold good stuff because we got 15 years out of the last unit...a NH 310.
WOW... All I can say is WOW...what a hosing .. never ever again..
He says it was all set, went through the shop and should be a great unit. Go up to get it and check it out when the skies open up! Torrents of water fall from the skies....might have been an ohmen? Not sure just know that we couldn't run it to hear it work... bad BAD decision ..... we unload the old unit and load up this new one..
Ride 3-1/2 hrs home and unload it.. next day we head to the field to bale it up and its a total disaster! This thing is horrifically noisy, won't make a straight bale to save its soul and they are 100 lb'ers.. this ain't work.. so I call the jokers up..
And tell them to load mine up and come get this piece of junk... wait lets see if we can fix it first, might be just ajustments is all thats needed..yeah... ok....well 1hr on phone, tons of fitteling later and it makes it through the field... barely.
Now let me tell you the bales were heavy and hard packed and shaggy looking messes.
I was not happy! And my ears are still ringing from all the noise it was making...

Well found plunger ready to exit baler... knives dull and all messed up! Pto shaft all messed up.. packing fork pins all wallowed out..flywheel bushing loose, slipper clutch all glazed over.. so I CALLED and ripped them a new you know what, they send me all brand new NH parts I wanted but wanted me to pay for half of the pro shaft parts... yeah.. that wasn't gonna happen... wait until they get my bill for all the labor it took to make this thing work.... they are gonna wish they brought mine back because I plan to strike first with a letter from my lawyer with the bill!
And this baler is apart yet again as I type for pickup cam follower bearing that should have been done...
It went through the shop all right! Pulled through one door and out the other!!

There is a guy I watch on youtube, he bought a use NH baler, he was told it was all good and running great from the NH dealer. He didn't make 1 min in the field before it totally screwed up and completely missed his whole bailing season last year. He worked on it over the winter and practically rebuilt every piece of that machine.

Not done yet, next thing that we have to fix is the kicker on it.. it was acting funny so we finished this small field dropping the bales onto the field when I noticed the flywheel on the kicker wobbling all about... it was on a BRAND NEW SHAFT! Well not after this... they never put the key in the shaft.. so it spun... with only setscrews to hold it. Made a mess! So thankfully I'm a machinist off the farm and was able to fix it. No sooner fix this and the top roll has a bearing holder failure WTF? The bearing is brand stinking new I'm thinking?? Hmmm well this didn't surprise me and a trip to Tractor Supply and a little elbow grease and it was all better.
Now the dang thing is almost like brand new and has been working pretty good.. not perfect though..
By the end of the season it should be danged near perfect.

There is a guy I watch on youtube, he bought a use NH baler, he was told it was all good and running great from the NH dealer. He didn't make 1 min in the field before it totally screwed up and completely missed his whole bailing season last year. He worked on it over the winter and practically rebuilt every piece of that machine.
Yup I have seen it.. I cant have this thing down for long so I keep fixing as I find issues. And when I fix it, it gets a complete and proper fix so I dont need to revisit that issue.

Chuckie 2009 is the you tube guy with the dealer inspected and made field read bailer that was junk and lives in Texas.

:D Al

Last edited:
Your far more patient than me and I'm sorry for your misfortune. The payment would have been stopped and that thing would have been on the truck going back to the dealer.

Only issue was I needed to get the hay done AND AND you guys know me ,I wanted this sized machine so I fixed it my damn self so I know its done right!
I'm going to try and get some money back for all the troubles their lack of oversight has caused!

We can't afford new stuff so we buy old used equipment and fix it ourselves. We are now running an International 440 baler and have a couple spare parts balers for it. We pick them up for $100-$500. Most of the balers we get are just way out of adjustment which is an easy fix and then we buy new parts when needed.

If we were to buy a used baler from a dealer we would insist on a tryout period to prove its as they say. Preferably have them to operate it or at least watch while we run it. That way we can't be blamed for something not working right.

Last edited:
We had all intensions or testing but the skies opened up on us and we were assured that all was good... as I said before bad BAD decision!
But on the bright side of it all I now know more about the NH 575 baler and 72 thrower than most NH techs today!
Its really well built and easy to adjust once it is with in proper operating specs, and let me tell you this thing can eat hay!! HOLY MOLY will it eat hay!! The super-sweep pickup is just what it says too SUPER SWEEP! It cleans up what the rake misses! Yet it floats over obstacles like a butterfly! All the while pumping out bricks . I actually run it slower than normal so I can get a thicker flake to the bale because I can't go 5-6 mph with guys in the wagon stacking .
But when the customer wants them dropped on the field... who doggy.. this thing cranks out bales!

I've always put balers in the same sentence I say about rock crushers and combines, "the amount of problems you'll have with it is directly proportional to the number of moving parts in the machine"!!
Mike

Our old NH 276 Hayliner has been an awesome baler. Got it either very late 60's or early 70's. Back when we did custom baling it would do 2500+ bales a day. It has literally baled a few hundred thousand bales easy. Never a major breakdown either.

Well I just went out and baled earlier today and thankfully no issues at all! And boy can that thing eat hay ripped out 190 bales in about 30 minutes! That includes stopping twice to stack them neatly so i could get them all on the wagon. Then as I am cleaning up the last of it I find out my phone is missing DOH! Lost it in the middle of the hay wagon... so I had to unload the danged thing enough to find the phone...

Back