Time to Work on the Farmall Super C

cjet69

Tractorologist
Our Farmall Super C started running bad last spring. It had a bad miss in it. We decided to park it until we had time to get to it. That time is here. I got it towed to the shop this evening and pushed it inside. Tomorrow I will start looking for the problem.

100_1347 (Medium).JPG100_1349 (Medium).JPG100_1350 (Medium).JPG

Pulled the head to get a look inside. The #3 intake is stuck and #4 intake is sticky. All of the other valves are good. Still not sure what the problem is.

100_1359 (Medium).JPG100_1360 (Medium).JPG

Pulled the head to get a look inside. The #3 intake is stuck and #4 intake is sticky. All of the other valves are good. Still not sure what the problem is.

View attachment 12380View attachment 12381
The bent push rod was probably the problem all along. My grandpa has a IH 140 that will run fine for months or years then suddenly start running poor then skip badly. Every time its been a bent or broken push rod. Usually on the # 2 & 3 cylinders. Never found a reason for it either. Had the head overhauled and it still does it and I've run into a couple other people that have the same issue. Most of the time I just pull the valve cover and straighten it as best I can and run it again until I can get another good one to put in

I'd say it's carbon buildup and it's sits for a few months at a time between being used caused the sticking valves. Try using "Sea Foam" in the gas every so often or you can actually pour it into the breather tube while the tractor is running and it will clean the carbon out of the intake system and top of the Piston.

I soaked the stuck valve with some carb cleaner followed by some ATF/Acetone mix and let it soak overnight. After removing the valve springs I was able to tap the stuck valve out using a brass drift and ball peen. Once the valve started moving it came out without much effort. I found some black buildup on the stem that was slightly sticky feeling. It came right off with some carb cleaner and slides easily in the guide now. I don't find much wear or any galling on the stem or guide. So far no definitive answer on what cause it. On to the cleaning process.

100_1363 (Medium).JPG100_1367 (Medium).JPG100_1368 (Medium).JPG100_1370 (Medium).JPG

Were the valve seals still in place when you removed the springs? It appears to me there's a lot of oil running down the stems. By the looks of the pistons and combustion chambers I'll say it's getting an excessive amount of oil in the cylinders thru the valve guides and/or the rings.
JMHO,
Mike

I thought I remembered seeing a valve grind gasket set for this engine. A little searching and I found it. Dad stopped at the local tractor salvage yard and they just gave him a pushrod. It larger diameter than the original, but looks like all of the replacements that you can buy new.

100_1428 (Medium).JPG100_1430 (Medium).JPG

Back