tubes or tubeless

I recently had a front tire on my garden tractor that had started leaking very fast. The tire is relatively new so I thought maybe I had got something in it. I had pickup a tube for it in case that was the problem & started checking to find the leak. I found a bead leak so I tried resealing the bead with no luck of that working. I was going to put the tube but for one problem I did have my tire equipment handy. I have been in the process of moving & have some thing here & some there. With the 2 places being 225 miles apart it is not easy to go back & forth to get things. I started looking for a solution & found tire bead sealer. It was a little more then I was looking to spend but decided to try it. I get home with it & open it. It looks like a black liquid rubber. I put some on the bead & filled the tire with air no more leaks it works good. I do not have it handy to see what brand it is but doing some research I think it is Extra seal.
Charlie

Like most I prefer tubeless. If the tire has good tread just old & won't seal them I put a tube in. I've used green slime on vehicles temporarily. I didn't know the stuff worked unless you get the tire up to highway speed to sling it around properly.

Just put 4 new tires on a Bolens Estate Keeper. Two of them had bead leaks and the rims were clean and smooth. I pushed the bead dow just far enough to get an acid brush and some slime between the bead and rim. Went clear around - both tires. Aired them up and they sealed. Washed the slime off with water and back on. Slime works on air contact. Couple days ago had a yard cart with truf tires. One kept going flat all the time. Found it was numerous leaks in the middle of the tread in one area. Put in some slime and let the tire sit with the leaking side down. Then aired it up and used it. Tire was still up this morning when the Mrs. used it. I am a firm believer in slime.

well I went and got the snow blower tractor. 3 flats. filled up a few days ago. one on the rim again. Its getting a tube. My Deere walk behind snow blower has 1 flat, cannot get it to seal. IT too is getting a tube. Every time I go out to the barn, the property owner has at least 2 flats on his machines, usually in the newest of tires that I have put on for him. I'm tired of the battle. They are getting tubes.

Tube tires get flats just like tubeless do. Can pick up a nail, screw, thorn, sharp pointed rock, etc. Still have to take it apart to fix it. With slime in the proper amount run over nail. screw, thorn, etc. and it seals back up again. May loose a little air but no flats. Plus slime is no more expensive than tubes.

The rears on my Sears 18/6 leaked from multiple side wall cracks and I wanted to keep the wheels off the ground. So for a quick cheep fix I cleaned the inside of the tires with carb cleaner and painted them with contact cement. This tractor is not in use, gets started and driven to keep the oil circulated. The tires were coated on the inside about a month and a half ago and have required no additional air. I have no idea how this fix would fair on a tractor that was in use. Don
Still holding Don

well I went and got the snow blower tractor. 3 flats. filled up a few days ago. one on the rim again. Its getting a tube. My Deere walk behind snow blower has 1 flat, cannot get it to seal. IT too is getting a tube. Every time I go out to the barn, the property owner has at least 2 flats on his machines, usually in the newest of tires that I have put on for him. I'm tired of the battle. They are getting tubes.
just finished putting tubes in my snow blower (did both even though only 1 was flat) and in both fronts on my snow blower tractor. tired of screwing with them.

The EK I just picked up this morning has a slow leek in the LF. It has a tube in it so have to go through the trouble of jacking it up, removing the wheel, breaking dow those onery 6" rim tires to get the tube out to patch it. PITA but the rims are not for tubeless tires like they are on my EK7.

Back