Variety in the antique / vintage garden tractor hobby.

I've had a few brands. Massey, Sears, Allis, Economy, Bantam, Wheel Horse, AMC, Wizard, MTD, Bolens, kinkade, Roper, Midland, David Bradley, and probably some others.
I like Sears and MF because of their presence on the farm growing up.
Other than that, I seem to be drawn to odd ducks.
If I had to pick just one, I'd do Sears. Something about them I keep coming back to.

I've given this more thought than I should, and may change my answer a bit...

Maybe I am loyal to Sears since I grew up running a suburban, it was a rusted, hoodless, beast of a machine with a 64' 4 hp B&S on it that I used to drag logs home with for firewood.

When I started looking for a project, I wanted something with "real" gears and a Hi-Lo transaxle. I saw a few brands along the way that were either too expensive or I didn't know enough about the brand or availability of parts, so I guess I did hold out for a suburban.

Restoring it by reading forums and looking for parts has taught me about other brands too, I've learned a bit about what parts/attachments are a little more common and will help me in deciding on future projects. Perhaps I was brand loyal, but I've learned not to be, if that made sense.

I love em all really, but mostly into Sears as I have 2 Sears product tractors already and HOPE to buy a 3rd. My 2nd choice would be the I.H. Cubs and hope to buy a couple of those too

I like collecting garden tractors that have older farm tractor names. So, 5 Fords, 3 MF’s, 1 JD and just bought seven days ago a Case 446. On my list, International and Allis Chalmers.

Noel

I like collecting garden tractors that have older farm tractor names. So, 5 Fords, 3 MF’s, 1 JD and just bought seven days ago a Case 446. On my list, International and Allis Chalmers.

Noel
I have a Wheel Horse painted IH red. I'll put International decals on it for you.;););) Rick

Thanks Lance. Yep that’s a bit of a drive alright. Hehe. That would be a nice addition. That the one your lookin for an engine for. ?

Noel

Thanks Lance. Yep that’s a bit of a drive alright. Hehe. That would be a nice addition. That the one your lookin for an engine for. ?

Noel
ya that K361 with a bad head... it actually does still run but not well enough to use it for anything. Which kind of sux because I quite like the Simple tractors of that era.

well unlike cars and trucks, many tractors have the same drivetrain in them as other brands do. No "ariens" or "Cub Cadet" or "WH" engines, all had Kohler with a few other brands of engines sprinkled in. No brand specific trans, most were Sunstrand or Tecumseh. You dont see a Ford truck with a Chevy engine new/ just ones that have been "owner modified".... and a Ford engine is way different than Chevy.... but a Kohler in an Ariens or a Kohler in a WH, not much difference there.
but it's gotta be an older machine as anything new is JUNK. and I mean new as in built in the last 15-20 years.

Old Bolens or Cub Cadets here. Engines are all of the big three, B&S, Kohler and Tech. Only one has been crossed over, IH 1650 with a B&S twin. Took some doing to get the engine mounted without modifying the frame but it worked and is one heck of a snow thrower.

I mostly have a habit of saving any stragglers that I can. Most go back out to someone in the hobby who will appreciate them.
If I mentioned how many I have had come thru over the last almost 30 years you probably wouldn't believe me anyway lol.
I do,though,still have my first vintage riding tractor.
The one that started me into this craziness.
My 1960 Simplicity 700,I've had it since '93.
It was in awful shape when I found it beside a pond in a small woods surrounded by fields.

Back