Voltage rectifier getting hot

I don't have the lights working on any of the tractors or mowers for that very reason. More trouble than they are worth and if I can't get it done in daylight it won't get done till tomorrow, if ever.
I don't normally worry about it either but on this bigger tractor with good lights it would be nice to have them working in case I would want to run it at night.

Do you have another rectifier? Maybe it's bad.

I just looked at the attached parts manual. Page 35 shows the stator(s) and rectifier(s) possibly used in this engine. Look that over to see what you have. Also, post the engine type code to help us verify what you have. Could be this has the 30 Amp stator and someone has put the 15 rectifier on it.
Kenny I had the very same thought.
I would have guessed this would have originally had a 30 amp.
I wonder too if maybe it was swapped out sometime and replaced with a 15 amp.
I have another K series rectifier on the shelf I might throw on it when I get time.
I may go looking for a good 30 amp to throw on it and see what happens with it.

I don’t have picture now of mine, but there are two different types of regulators, that I’ve seen on mine. One is cooled by outside air, has fins for cooling, the other regulator mounts to the flywheel shroud, shroud has a hole for the regulator to fit in. It gets cooled from the wind from the flywheel.

Noel

I do not know what that looks like! Haven't seen an internal rectifier.
Ok Daniel and Kenny pick on me like I'm a rookie.
lol :p
Boys read slower.:p
I just forgot a comma.
You both know (or should know) that what I was saying was : If you know what type rectifier is most commonly used on K series Kohlers with bendix (gear drive boys,so there's no confusion) starters with internal alternator setup,then you know what the rectifier looks like.
Daniel you have known me around the forums since way before GTtalk was created and Kenny you have known me for several years on the forums too.
I usually don't post any questions on any forums.
Mostly I post show and tell or I try to help others.
There is a reason for that.
On a side note the regulator/rectifier is internal on most common automotive regulators,in case you have never seen an internal setup,take a look at those. :D;)

I don’t have picture now of mine, but there are two different types of regulators, that I’ve seen on mine. One is cooled by outside air, has fins for cooling, the other regulator mounts to the flywheel shroud, shroud has a hole for the regulator to fit in. It gets cooled from the wind from the flywheel.

Noel
This one is mounted in the shroud and cooled by the flywheel Noel.

I’ve boosted many of my tractors. Nothing ever happened, but could be.

Did you do any welding on the tractor. They, say to disconnect battery and regulator before welding. Don’t know if the welding would hurt any thing or not, but I allways disconnect both before welding. Don’t need any more troubles than I all ready got.

Noel

Back