Wheel weight time,

Ya that’s what I’d use for loading if I was going to do it Gary. I could get about 80 lbs extra per tire if I loaded them.
I’ll put you first on the list for the weights, if I decide to sell them. Hehe. You pay the shipping. Hehe.

Noel

My winter work tractor is an IH Cub Cadet 1650. Re-motored with a Vanguard 16 hp. even after another forum owner said it could not be done. Have 75 lb Cub Cadet labeled vinyl coated concrete weights on each rear wheel with chains. 42 CC snow thrower on the front. Tried it w/0 the chains the first winter. Got 30' out the door and had to put the chains on in the snow. Never had an issue since. Have 3 other mowing units and few other utility/special purpose tractors around so don't remove chains or weights.

Ive had probably over a dozen differant tractors with transaxle/hub damage brought in by customers that dont believe chains cause problems...... its a tough lesson to learn when a new transaxle can be $750+

Common sense goes a long way with anything. Some people can tear up an anvil. I would not blame the chains near as much as how the tractor was used. No doubt you have seen many tractors with hub/transaxle issues but did you ever see how they were used ? ?

Lol.. ya I know a few folks that could tear up an anvil

I dont get to see customers use their equipment but the kind of damage chains can cause is pretty easy to see.

View attachment 43192
That broken axle doesn't mean much to me I've had a couple of MTD's that had broken axles and had never been close to chains, I've been using chains for a good long time never had a problem and without out them its a hopeless situation you get nowhere, as Roger posted its the operator they don't get them installed right and don't now how to work in the snow get Peed off and just give it the works

Certainly a little common sense will reduce the odds of a major breakdown.... but you can not completely eliminate that added wear and tear that chains can cause no matter how careful you may be.... nor can you eliminate the back pain that often follows.

each to their own, I get it, and thats fine...

but.... for the cost of a set of chains I can usually buy one or maybe two pairs of good used ATV tires and I get around just fine thru winters in Alberta, we get as much or more snow than most people and I have no problem pushing it with a 54" blade... and without alot of added ballast, 80# of wheel weights per side plus 130# suitcase wts on the back of the tractor... and my skinny butt dont add much more.

Ive done enough miles with chains in my day but tire technology has come a long long ways in the last 50 years.... chains wont take you anywhere I cant go.

Yea, m,e too :thumbs: My chains stay on - and have 5 pair hanging in the machine shed for different tractors, some of which will never be used by me. Some will have different owners before winter.

As with any vehicle proper tires make a huge difference!

I always thought good old ags would do great pushing snow. But I was always disappointed! Even with a ton of wheel weights.

I am glad I dont have to push snow. I just use the old sore back maker shovel. By the time I got my tractor into position to shove snow I'd be nearly at the end of my driveway.

ask any canadian farmer how he likes his AG tires in the winter... those things were invented well over 100 years ago and they were designed specifically and exclusively for crop farming.... AG = Agricultural..... I have had 8000# tractors stuck in an inch of snow..... you are better off putting the chains on turf tires because at least then they cant fall between the lugs where they dont even touch the ground. With full size tractors you will break the chains before you damage the tractor.... garden tractors are not built to withstand that kind of shlt and abuse.

AG on a garden tractor is all about the "Look".... well I think they "Look" pretty silly stuck in an inch of snow.....:p

My 1512 Cub hasd AG tires and 30 lb weight on each side. No issues with the banks and slopes I have to mow. The 1862 has turf tires and no weight and have to lift the deck so get up the slope in several places. Time to buy a case of washer fluid. No room for chains and don't what them on for mowing anyway.

Ive probably owned 50+ sets of chains and used them for nearly 40 years, big tractors, little tractors, trucks... back in the 70s I even carried a set in the trunk of my car.... been there, done that.... then one day I spent $40 on a pair of good used ATV tires... its about the cheapest and easiest thing you can do to a GT to get traction on any surface and any season... and I just think any newcomer to this hobby/addiction needs to know there are other options than spending $200+ on a pair of AGs and $100 for chains, and even more $$$ to fill those tires... then get beat at the pulls by some old coot with an ugly old MTD on ATV tires.

Im not saying AGs or chains dont work in many cases.... of course they do... but these days there is another option that is considerably cheaper and works quite well... I know I was fn amazed when I first tried ATVs, I didnt expect them to do half of what they can do... so I understand why some people doubt them.... I did.... but now I give my head a shake and ask 'WTF was I thinkin', of course atv tires will work, Ive climbed mountains in BC with an old quad dragging a 900# moose carcass out.... and my Columbia will go anywhere that Honda could, it just takes longer.

Back