1947 Farmall Cub project

More wheel cleaning with no end in sight. When I get to the end, I hope to have 3 sets for the cubs and one set for the Economy Power King. May have to find a couple used wheels and some tires. I had a set of front wheels that I cleaned, painted, and installed new tires on several years ago that I installed on the '47 so I could clean up the original rims. They are in rough shape.

GOPR2444-m.JPGGOPR2445-m.JPGGOPR2446-m.JPGGOPR2447-m.JPGGOPR2448-m.JPGGOPR2450-m.JPG

<<< The heads of the bolts were really bad, so I drove a smaller size socket on the seat bolts and ground flats and used vice grips on the platform bolts.>>>

Several years ago I got a set of special sockets for Christmas. Believe they come from Sears back then. Set of 6 that covers 2 sizes of nut or bolt head each. Have a series of pins inside the socket that grips the damaged bolt head or nut. Have used them several times and are a life saver. Neighbor had a oil drain on one of his big tractors that someone really messed up. Took some wiggling etc. to get the socket completely down on the plug head but it turned right out.

Several years ago I got a set of special sockets for Christmas. Believe they come from Sears back then. Set of 6 that covers 2 sizes of nut or bolt head each. Have a series of pins inside the socket that grips the damaged bolt head or nut. Have used them several times and are a life saver. Neighbor had a oil drain on one of his big tractors that someone really messed up. Took some wiggling etc. to get the socket completely down on the plug head but it turned right out.
I think I remember seeing that type of socket. Might need to look into getting a set.

2 more wheel centers ready for a light sandblast. Pressure washed a hood and two wheel centers that were caked in grease and dirt. The hood is from our 1949 cub that was rolled over at some point in its life and tore the front corners out of it.

View attachment 52911View attachment 52912View attachment 52913View attachment 52914View attachment 52915
If you didn't keep weights on them the cubs were known to be a little tippy.
The low-boys were more stable. But they didn't come along until 1956-( I Think)

Pulled a few more parts off of the Cub and started paint removal with a wire wheel. The wires are getting mighty short, so I need to pick up a couple more wire wheels. I ran one fender through the e-tank and got it cleaned up. It will need some metal relaced where its rusted out.

GOPR2479-m.JPGGOPR2480-m.JPGGOPR2481-m.JPGGOPR2482-m.JPGGOPR2486-m.JPGGOPR2487-m.JPGGOPR2488-m.JPGGOPR2489-m.JPG

Pulled a few more parts off of the Cub and started paint removal with a wire wheel. The wires are getting mighty short, so I need to pick up a couple more wire wheels. I ran one fender through the e-tank and got it cleaned up. It will need some metal relaced where its rusted out.

View attachment 53052View attachment 53053View attachment 53054View attachment 53055View attachment 53056View attachment 53057View attachment 53058View attachment 53059
That reminds me I've got a couple of 154 fenders I need to do something with.

Dipped the front end of the hood into the E-tank overnight. This is the original hood that came with the '47 tractor. I started on the fuel tank end with some stripping discs and just need to finish it up. The fuel tank has some rust in it so I need to decide on which method to use to clean it out and whether to put some tank liner in it.

GOPR2494-m.JPGGOPR2495-m.JPGGOPR2497-m.JPGGOPR2499-m.JPGGOPR2505-m.JPGGOPR2506-m.JPGGOPR2509-m.JPG

I finished cleaning up the tank/hood assy, but in doing so I found the tank has rusted through just above the bottom seam towards the back of the tank. I'll set it aside for now and check my other tanks to see what shape they are in.

100_4286-m.JPG100_4287-m.JPGGOPR2518-m.JPGGOPR2519-m.JPG

Back