1972 F350 bumpside

Rustyoldjunk

Rustologist/Punishment Glutton
I was looking for another slick 66 F100 when this 72 bumpside F350 popped up needing rescued. It is a well optioned truck.
390,power steering,power disc brakes,4.10 with locking differential and heavy duty black vinyl interior.
It was a special ordered truck and was ordered with a paint color that wasn't an option that year.
My thought was it would be good trading material for a similar year F100 or F250 but I have started to taking a liking to the old one ton.
It needs a lot done but it is a solid foundation to start with. Its a nice running and driving truck.

Attachments

• 20190922_122419.jpg
    20190922_122419.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190529_151358.jpg
    20190529_151358.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 36
Tough old truck, but it likes plenty of gas!
That's true Kenny but even the newer 3/4, 1 ton and the supers like F450 and 550 still run 4.10s and lower and with gas engines don't really do much better on fuel.
Even with computers,fuel injection and overdrive.
Besides All I drive is pretty much older gas powered 4x4 pick ups. I think 16 mpg is good gas milage lol.

Im
Nice dump bed on that ole girl.
My son bought a 78 F350 with flatbed back in March. Like a typical Ford, it's been broke down in my drive since it showed up.
I love the dump and I hate it.
It's cool as heck and useful.
Its also a very nice and very heavy duty double frame setup.
It adds way more weight than a lot of typical dump setups used on light trucks like 3/4 and 1 tons.
On the other hand I could make a very cool driver without the dump and more of a "Western Hauler" style lower bed.
As for it being typical for a Ford to be broke down we could debate brands and the causes. ;) :p

All three of my Fords are running just fine! (1995 F250 PowerStroke, 1981 Bronco, 1969 Falcon wagon)

( I really dislike that debate. I have had many vehicles of the "Big 3"...... They are all capable of making a dud, and capable of making a very good vehicle. Upkeep is a huge key.)

All three of my Fords are running just fine! (1995 F250 PowerStroke, 1981 Bronco, 1969 Falcon wagon)

( I really dislike that debate. I have had many vehicles of the "Big 3"...... They are all capable of making a dud, and capable of making a very good vehicle. Upkeep is a huge key.)
Agreed. I am a fan of all American vintage steel and iron.

That's another great workhorse, Rusty! Whatever route you take with it, what counts is keeping it on the road! I like 'em best still useable as tucks but appreciate the rodded up old trucks too.

I've never had a Ford pickup but always liked the "bumpside" era trucks. My friends Dad had the coolest '69 or 70 that was done up with about every bit of bling that he could get at JC Whitney back then. It was a beauty! It had a "swan" hood ornament that had plastic wings that would light up at night when the lights were turned on.

A couple of weeks ago a co-worker car guy who likes oddities bought a '72 Ford half ton dressed nicely with options. What's odd about it? It was painted a Pepto-Bismol pink with a black vinyl top from the factory. I remember the truck running around town way back when I was in high school and it was a teacher that had it. Saw it in the faculty parking every day! From what I remember the teacher was also a Mary Kay cosmetics sales person and they had it ordered from Ford for a sales prize. It has an extremely oddball VIN code too. I'll try to get him to send me a couple pics of it.

I too appreciate seeing old trucks rescued!

DAC

DAC that sounds like a very interesting truck !
I would love to see the warranty vin tag on the door from it. Sounds like a interestingly optioned truck. I would love to see pictures of it too.

I married into Fords, own 3 of them in the mid 90's due to wife and her father working for Ford. The 90 Topaz she had was actually a decent car, the other 2 were bought new (96 ranger Splash and 98 ZX2) and we only had them each a max of 24 months. Growing up, my father never had a good one and the last 2 my son has driven (93 Bronco and 78 F350) have been the biggest pieces of junk we have ever own. I personally will never own another.
With that being said, both my GMs are currently down needing work so yea I know they all have their problems, but I still will take a broke down GM over a running Ford anyday....just my preference.

DAC that sounds like a very interesting truck !
I would love to see the warranty vin tag on the door from it. Sounds like a interestingly optioned truck. I would love to see pictures of it too.
He is off on Fridays. I didn't get a chance to call him yet, but will try over the weekend! Maybe someone may have some knowledge here about that truck too. He's been trying to do research but so far there has been dead ends.

DAC

He is off on Fridays. I didn't get a chance to call him yet, but will try over the weekend! Maybe someone may have some knowledge here about that truck too. He's been trying to do research but so far there has been dead ends.

DAC
DAC there are several FB groups that cover the bump side Fords with some very knowledgeable people and a great website/forum with some very very knowledgeable people. If nothing else we can point him in the right direction.

He tried to join one, Rusty, but they turned him down for some reason. He's on FB but has very little activity so I suppose they think he might be a spammer. A contractor that is putting up a pole barn for him did post some pics of the pink truck on a FB site. So many problems at work today so I never got to call him.

DAC

DAC I do know that you have to be very careful of spammers. Most groups today ask screening questions. If you don't answer them all or if your answers don't look fairly correct you will get turned down.
On the other hand you do not get notified if you are turned down.
How did he find that he was turned down ?
Sometimes it takes up to a week or more to get let in.
Anyway I will help where I can.
I can get him links to the decoders for the warranty vin tag on the door.
There is more info on that tag than just the vin. It is loaded with goodies waiting to be decoded.
Just let me know if I can help.

He kept trying to get on the page, I think it is called simply "Old Ford Trucks", but was never able to. He also has a '56 Ford pickup, and I got my '55 GMC from him.

Here's the pictures. I'm not a Ford guy but the VIN doesn't look odd to me, but obviously the truck color is! I sure appreciate all you are doing to help, Rusty!

DAC

Attachments

• IMG_0904.JPG
    IMG_0904.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0905.JPG
    IMG_0905.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0908.JPG
    IMG_0908.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0909.JPG
    IMG_0909.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 12
Has he tried the Fordification groups or websites ? There is one for the 61-66 "Slicks",one for the 67-72 "Bump sides" and one for the 73-79 "Dent sides".
Both websites and FB groups.
There is also another big 67-72 group called "Bump sides".
I will take a look at the decoder at the 67-72 Fordification website.

Back