And more junk.

Carolyn took an Amtrack trip from here down into Mississippi for a family mater. Then up the smokeys to Washington DC and stayed with her son7 family a few days. Then back across to home again. Part of the trip was at night but was still beautiful she said.

Carolyn took an Amtrack trip from here down into Mississippi for a family mater. Then up the smokeys to Washington DC and stayed with her son7 family a few days. Then back across to home again. Part of the trip was at night but was still beautiful she said.
Loree is always talking about taking a Amtrac ride. Sounds like that Rapid City is going to get Amtrac to Minneapolis. Don't know where it goes from there. I wouldn't mind catching it in North Dakota and ride it to the Pacific northwest sometime.

Loree really appreciates the thoughts, folks!

Had to run errands again this morning, early afternoon so I didn't get out to the shop until mid afternoon. Got quite a bit done since I was having a good "back" day.

Got one tool rack for the yard cart pretty much done. May not like it but will give it a shot!

Decided to have it hang down rather that sticking up like a ladder rack on a pickup.

Using old bed frame angle steel. I know it's tacky to use that stuff, but I have a bunch of it---LOL! Don't have to drill any holes and it welds just fine.
DSCN6130.JPG

DSCN6131.JPG

The hanger part seems to fit ok.
DSCN6132.JPG

Welded some "feet" to support it from swinging on the cart.
DSCN6133.JPG

Had a box of these ground stakes that are wide enough for shovel and rake handles, as well as the string trimmer and pole saw handles. Leaf blower and chain saw will still probably have to ride inside the trailer, unless I come up with some idea for them.
DSCN6134.JPG

Cut the stakes down and welded them to one hanger. Didn't get the hooks welded on the other hanger yet.
DSCN6135.JPG

May not like them but will give it a try! Hopefully can work on them tomorrow too.

DAC

Almost done with the racks, but I screwed up---LOL! Decided to use up some paint that has been in the cabinet for many years, Majic Massey Ferguson grey. That stuff is making a career out of drying! Won't be able to flip them over and paint the other side until tomorrow afternoon. Got a couple doc appointments in the morning.
DSCN6137.JPG

I drilled 3 holes in the top rail of the trailer. The rack already had some 1/4" holes so it can be in 3 positions, clear to the front, back or centered. Just slide them and drop a bolt in the hole to pin it from siding back and forth.
DSCN6138.JPG

I never did mention that the reason this trailer was preferred over the one I already have is because the tongue is 1'4" longer. Give better turning radius when there is tools in the rack.

DAC

Decided to use up some paint that has been in the cabinet for many years, Majic Massey Ferguson grey. That stuff is making a career out of drying!
Don't let that bother you. Wet paint is shinier than dry paint anyway.
That is frustrating. I think it was something on that snowblower project I did last fall that took a couple of days to dry. Hope it surprises you and is dry when you get home tomorrow.

Don't let that bother you. Wet paint is shinier than dry paint anyway.
That is frustrating. I think it was something on that snowblower project I did last fall that took a couple of days to dry. Hope it surprises you and is dry when you get home tomorrow.
I got home about 11:30. Was able to flip them over and squirt some paint on the outer side. Had to go to the $h!t plant and buy a dozen eggs at noon so it all worked out. They are still tacky but should be ok to handle tomorrow.
DSCN6145.JPG

Went ahead and worked on straightening out the rear and tailgate damage. Removed the welded rear angle piece and decided to straighten it rather than replace it. Threw away all those metric screws and nylocks that were holding that stuff together.
DSCN6139.JPG

DSCN6140.JPG

Re-assembled the parts using some 1'/4" screws rather than that metric stuff that the screw heads were stripping out on. Had it on backwards in this pic---LOL!
DSCN6141.JPG

DSCN6143.JPG

For some reason I got thinking about the other trailer. It dawned on me that it might be a bit bigger lengthwise. Sure enough it is. The box about 4' long. This one is about 3'4"! Now I'm thinking about putting the tongue and axle mount from this one onto the longer box. It was too dang windy to bring the other one in today, should be able to tomorrow. Don't know if these racks will fit that one even.
DSCN5883.JPG

DSCN5182.JPG

Now another decision to make!

DAC

I got home about 11:30. Was able to flip them over and squirt some paint on the outer side. Had to go to the $h!t plant and buy a dozen eggs at noon so it all worked out. They are still tacky but should be ok to handle tomorrow.
View attachment 79640

Went ahead and worked on straightening out the rear and tailgate damage. Removed the welded rear angle piece and decided to straighten it rather than replace it. Threw away all those metric screws and nylocks that were holding that stuff together.
View attachment 79636

View attachment 79637

Re-assembled the parts using some 1'/4" screws rather than that metric stuff that the screw heads were stripping out on. Had it on backwards in this pic---LOL!
View attachment 79638

View attachment 79639

For some reason I got thinking about the other trailer. It dawned on me that it might be a bit bigger lengthwise. Sure enough it is. The box about 4' long. This one is about 3'4"! Now I'm thinking about putting the tongue and axle mount from this one onto the longer box. It was too dang windy to bring the other one in today, should be able to tomorrow. Don't know if these racks will fit that one even.
View attachment 79642

View attachment 79643

DAC
Did you use majik hardener? Without it, it seems the paint will never cure!

Did you use majik hardener? Without it, it seems the paint will never cure!
Used a Majik spray bomb on these tool racks, Daniel. I have a partial quart of MF red with the hardener that needs to get used. Painted the cutting deck on the MF12G with it a few years ago when I rebuilt the spindles. It dried pretty well but doesn't like an automotive etch primer under it. Better stick with the majik primer under the topcoat just to be safe when it gets used up. Maybe one of these trailers will get a paint job to use it up.

DAC

View attachment 79640

View attachment 79636

View attachment 79637

View attachment 79638

View attachment 79639

View attachment 79642

View attachment 79643

DAC
Nothing like doing things twice but satisfaction sets in when your done.

That’s some nice trailer Doug. Never seen one with that set up on the axle before.
Tell Lorre she’ll be fine, the birthday that bothered me was 64. Growing up listening to the Beatles song , when I turn 64, seemed to bother me as I got closer to 64. Then all of a sudden, there I was 64. Well I’m past that now, I don’t worry about 64 any more. Hehe.

Noel

The one number I was glad to get to was 63, just a year over retirement age for SS back then. I weas vested out on my other retirement so would only gain 60% of any pay raise I might get between then and 65, and that did not pencil out at all. After that the rest just come and go, l;ike any other number.

Nothing like doing things twice but satisfaction sets in when your done.
Didn't do anything over, Jim. Just lived with it. I am still pretty satisfied with how it's working out.

That’s some nice trailer Doug. Never seen one with that set up on the axle before.
Tell Lorre she’ll be fine, the birthday that bothered me was 64. Growing up listening to the Beatles song , when I turn 64, seemed to bother me as I got closer to 64. Then all of a sudden, there I was 64. Well I’m past that now, I don’t worry about 64 any more. Hehe.

Noel
Thanks, Noel, on the trailer. I remember that song, Noel. Magical Mystery Tour. I had that record before the flood. I kinda lost interest in those guys in the last couple years they were together. Music got weird, probably from all of the Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds they were all taking---LOL! They denied that's what the song was about---LOL!

The one number I was glad to get to was 63, just a year over retirement age for SS back then. I weas vested out on my other retirement so would only gain 60% of any pay raise I might get between then and 65, and that did not pencil out at all. After that the rest just come and go, l;ike any other number.
Just a number to me now too. 70 might bum me out for awhile, but I'll get over it like everyone else does.

Wouldn't you know it beautiful weather today and I have a bad back day. Made myself work in the shop anyway.

Opened the overhead door for awhile and compared the garden trailers and loaded some tools on the racks while they were on the smaller trailer. Probably won't be using all 6 of these at once but managed to get them to fit ok.
DSCN6147.JPG DSCN6149.JPG DSCN6150.JPG

Took them in the shop and flipped them over. Decided to put the long tongue on the red trailer. I think that stamped steel axle mount is as strong as the angle iron one on the smaller cart. Maybe stronger. The wheels are 8" on the red trailer, 6" on the smaller trailer. The track width is wider on the red trailer too.
DSCN6153.JPG

DSCN6154.JPG

Went ahead and took them both apart to trade the tongues. That went pretty good but the latches wouldn't work. Put them back together.
DSCN6155.JPG

Was able to swap the latch from the shorter tongue to the longer one but will have to build something for the smaller trailer now. Maybe can reproduce this latch. or something similar.
DSCN6156.JPG

DSCN6157.JPG

Then the racks went on the red trailer and some holes drilled for different positions.
DSCN6158.JPG

DSCN6159.JPG

I robbed one of those rounded front corners off the smaller trailer for the red one too. It was missing one ever since I drug it home from scrap at work probably around 15 years ago!

That was enough for today. Time to sit for awhile!

DAC

I've been really enjoying following your trailer adventures and truly admire your perseverance and ability. The pic of them lying on their backs waiting for a tummy rub made me smile, ;) . To heck with the Beatles, your theme song..."Trailer For Sale or Rent....."
Roger Miller was too cool, Lorna! Did you know that the plane Patsy Cline and 3 others were killed in crashed near his property and he was one of the first folks on the scene? Sad day for music all those years ago.

They probably didn't think it was a tummy rub though---LOL! I had to beat the axles out with a hammer as they were pretty used to the position they were in---LOL!

Thanks for following along! I do this thread so I can remember what it is I do from day to day, week to week---etc!

DAC

Yes Doug. The Beatles were a bit strange in the end. Roger Miller was great. King of the road song has stuck with me ever since it came out. I had my bike and a transistor radio on it listening to King of the Road.

Nice work on the trailer. Those rounded corners are great for pulling the trailer through the woods. Square corners would get fetched up on the trees and the rounded ones don’t.

Noel

Doug I pulled a couple of pics from GTtalk of my trailer build about seven years ago of the chainsaw scabbard and my tilt lock. It might give you an idea.

Attachments

• IMG_9999.png
    IMG_9999.png
    390.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0001.png
    IMG_0001.png
    694.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0002.png
    IMG_0002.png
    971.1 KB · Views: 7
There are days when beating the heck out of something with a hammer is just the right thing to do! Very therapeutic, :p.

Patsy was/is my all time favourite. I remember when that plane came down, March 5, 1963.
Ha! Yeah, beating on something gets frustrations out sometimes, Lorna!-LOL!

I have two all-time favorites. Male and female. Patsy and Marty Robbins. the plane crash was 61 years ago but her music was timeless!

Doug I really like the way your trailer is turning out. Just looks handy. You do good work!
Thanks Chris! Hopefully I will be in good enough shape when the weather smooths out a little. Got a couple of possible surgeries coming up. I don't want anything scheduled until the second half of April though. Loree and I are probably going to do a quick road trip to go to a race middle of the month.

Yes Doug. The Beatles were a bit strange in the end. Roger Miller was great. King of the road song has stuck with me ever since it came out. I had my bike and a transistor radio on it listening to King of the Road.

Nice work on the trailer. Those rounded corners are great for pulling the trailer through the woods. Square corners would get fetched up on the trees and the rounded ones don’t.

Noel
When the Beatles started turning to being drug influenced, it made my liking for Country and Western increase! I did like a lot of 70's rock but into the 80's, just pretty much became a country junkie!

Good point on those round corners, Noel! Thanks! I don't have any woods or brush to pull the trailer through on our puny little acre but the trees around the perimeter on the South and West side need some dead branches cut off. Won't be able to reach them all but will try to get what I can. I might make a stab at trying to make one of those corners to replace the one I robbed off the small trailer.

Doug I pulled a couple of pics from GTtalk of my trailer build about seven years ago of the chainsaw scabbard and my tilt lock. It might give you an idea.
Great work, Jim! I think I remember that build thread. Obviously, I'm not hauling firewood, and either one of those trailers are too small for tree waste. My plan is to have the tools in the trailer and have the dump hauler pickup out where I'm working too. throw the branches right into the pickup rather than handling them twice and not making so many trips as well. Then take them to the dump. Dumping tree waste is free. Probably should build a scabbard to hold the gas saw to keep it from sliding around in the box.

I went ahead and got a good start on that tilt latch today already before I saw your picture. Not quite the same materials as the other trailer but same idea. Like you, I try to build this stuff out of junk that is on hand. I like having something I can reach from the tractor seat to dump and it latches itself when the box is pushed down. That's the main reason I wanted a latch similar to the other one.
DSCN6163.JPG

DSCN6164.JPG

DSCN6165.JPG

Still need to drill a couple more holes for the return spring, and thinking of an idea for the lever to pull the latch. Dug this little shifter out of another bucket of junk I need to go through and I may cut it up to make it work. I do haul some gravel and dirt in garden trailers to so the dump mechanism is something needed.
DSCN6166.JPG

Probably will tinker with it some more tomorrow.

DAC

Back