And more junk.

Yep. Done my share. Salvation Army store in the City has big tubs about 3' cubes their merchandise is in. Dig and dive though the tubs to see what you can find. Everything is sold by total cart weight. Cart is weighed empty, your given the ticket, load it up and weight it out, pay the lady and start bagging.

As you may have noticed I go through books like a rabbit eating a carrot. My local Salvation Army has given up trying to keep me out of the back room where they sort things......if I see a box of books through the open door I'm in there before they can decide if it's going in the trash or out on the shelf. ;)

I had almost forgotten what those look like. I saw one of those decades ago in our shop.;)
Now I actually have two usable benchtops, CJet, pretty unheard of here too---LOL! I try to keep clutter off the welding table all the time so I guess there's 3 now!

I think we have a professional dumpster diver among us. :thumbs:
Aren't we all at heart?
Yep. Done my share. Salvation Army store in the City has big tubs about 3' cubes their merchandise is in. Dig and dive though the tubs to see what you can find. Everything is sold by total cart weight. Cart is weighed empty, your given the ticket, load it up and weight it out, pay the lady and start bagging.
Guess having depression era folks made a big impression on me. both came from poor families and had to scrape by back then. Sounds like a pretty cool deal at that Salvation Army Store Roger! Never heard of buying stuff by the pound in a thrift store before!

Went and got the garden trailer at my former job at noon. They have "no access" gates there now, I call them Gestapo gates. Chris, the former coworker I get the eggs from, has to come open the gate now for me to get in. They spent a few hundred thousand dollars on them, but then cheap out on the pumps and other essential equipment that actually makes the plant run correctly. Oh well not my problem any more. There was a complete dirt bike leaned up against the scrap trailer but that's the last thing I need to drag home---LOL! Said "175" on the gas tank.

Got home and started some work in the shop.

First I did finish the workbench and desktop cleaning. I can swing that light to either place.
DSCN6120.JPG

DSCN6121.JPG

Then I unloaded the cart.
DSCN6117.JPG

DSCN6118.JPG

Decided to bring it in the shop to try to beat some of the bent up steel out. It has a 1-7/8 ball hitch on it like my other trailer.
DSCN6119.JPG

DSCN6122.JPG

DSCN6123.JPG

It has a fairly substantial axle mount, built from plate and angle iron instead of stamped steel like my other cart.
DSCN6127.JPG

Had to pull the front panel off to do any effective metal beating. The tailgate was bolted on so I pulled that too. Considerable damage back there also.DSCN6125.JPG

Banged on stuff for awhile until I figured it would go back together ok. It was pretty bound up taking it apart. Most holes lined up at least and just some pushing and pulling lined up the stubborn ones.
DSCN6128.JPG

Sure wish the flash on my camera would work when I want so the pics are still fuzzy except the 7th pic. Flash decided to work for that one. I tried to download a firmware update for it like Stew suggested and my computer is too new. The update will only work on older than windows 10.

This trailer may get a rack built on it to hold rakes, shovels, string trimmer, things like that. That kind of stuff is too long to just lay in the bed.

Go see the cataract surgeon tomorrow. I didn't have good luck using the expensive little tube of ointment that was supposed to reduce the swelling the doc said my eyeballs have so that will probably be an issue.

DAC

The trailer repair looks good and if you dent it up now you won't feel bad.

I remember crawling under cars with no light and being able to see everything just fine. Now I need a bright light and magnifiers.... LOL.
Yeah me too, CJet. Ancient history now! The trailer is definitely not a resto project. It will have to sit outside with the other one when not in use. No sense making it cherry for the abuse it will get.

Nice find on the trailer Doug but that work table and desk are just way too clean. That trailer is built better than most new ones.
Thanks, Jim. I do like that axle structure better than the other trailer. The forst one came from the scrap at work too not long after I started there---LOL!. The tongue on this one was replaced with a piece of rectangle tubing at some point. It is still some Chinese import probably as it has 10mm nylock nuts on everything.
DSCN6124.JPG

DAC

Thanks for the well wishes for the weekend, guys! Loree has been getting a lot of stress at work and spring fever on top of that. When I found out she was going to have in enough hours at work to take Friday off, without her knowledge I decided we better do a weekend getaway so she could unwind. She is also stressing herself about turning 65 next month so this excursion was an early birthday present as well.

Friday mid day we headed for the northern Black Hills, stopping at a little cafe in Deadwood for a lunch of Pasties, an old miners lunch that my mom's side of the family has passed from generation to generation. She is great at making them but rarely gets time.

Then I took her up to Spearfish Canyon Lodge to stay Friday and Saturday night.

IMG_1311.jpg

Friday night we just went to the bar in the lodge and had a pizza, talked to some tourists. Us and the bartender were the only locals.

Got in no hurry to do anything Saturday but since it was 50* we decided to try the two-mile walk up to Roughlock Falls. We probably should have taken the road, being old farts but we took the trail. Yup covered with packed s-word, ice and some mud in places. There were a couple of benches along the way to take a break at least. Took us about an hour going up 1.2 miles on the trail. A turtle would have been faster---LOL!
IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1290.jpg

The road is still closed to vehicles for the winter, but it is visible in this pic.
IMG_1292.jpg

Almost to the falls.
IMG_1293.jpg

Part of the falls is still frozen. IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

This area was the part of the trail that just about got us, about the last 20 yards or so was ice, with no hand rail or anything to help us get up through it. By this time out backs and hips were asking "why the heck are you doing this?"---LOL! I couldn't get a pic on that part of the trail but this one is from above on the road. It went further to the left a ways too.
IMG_1303.jpg

We sat on a picnic table for a few minutes then headed back to the Lodge, taking the road back! It was wet with a layer of mud but much easier than the trail. Downhill all the way back another mile.
IMG_1306.jpg

Got back to the room. Return walk took 32 minutes. Watched the end of the Xfinity race then cleaned up for supper. Although pretty stiff and sore, (me worse than her) we walked across the road to the Latchstring Inn for a steak supper.
IMG_1312.jpg

Was dark when we went back and had to use the flashlight on the phone for a good bit of that walk. The sidewalks between the two need better lighting.

Of course the time change was expected, but still caught us leaving the room about a half hour later than check out time. We grabbed a late breakfast at a nice cafe called Cheyenne Crossing. Used up the picture limit. Great food everywhere we ate.

Got home in time to watch the last stage of the Cup race after diving through the hills a bit on the way home.

I think my girlfriend has her batteries recharged for awhile now. We'll see how the birthday next month goes!

DAC

Thanks for the well wishes for the weekend, guys! Loree has been getting a lot of stress at work and spring fever on top of that. When I found out she was going to have in enough hours at work to take Friday off, without her knowledge I decided we better do a weekend getaway so she could unwind. She is also stressing herself about turning 65 next month so this excursion was an early birthday present as well.

Friday mid day we headed for the northern Black Hills, stopping at a little cafe in Deadwood for a lunch of Pasties, an old miners lunch that my mom's side of the family has passed from generation to generation. She is great at making them but rarely gets time.

Then I took her up to Spearfish Canyon Lodge to stay Friday and Saturday night.

View attachment 79420

Friday night we just went to the bar in the lodge and had a pizza, talked to some tourists. Us and the bartender were the only locals.

Got in no hurry to do anything Saturday but since it was 50* we decided to try the two-mile walk up to Roughlock Falls. We probably should have taken the road, being old farts but we took the trail. Yup covered with packed s-word, ice and some mud in places. There were a couple of benches along the way to take a break at least. Took us about an hour going up 1.2 miles on the trail. A turtle would have been faster---LOL!
View attachment 79412

View attachment 79413

The road is still closed to vehicles for the winter, but it is visible in this pic.
View attachment 79414

Almost to the falls.
View attachment 79415

Part of the falls is still frozen. View attachment 79416

View attachment 79417

This area was the part of the trail that just about got us, about the last 20 yards or so was ice, with no hand rail or anything to help us get up through it. By this time out backs and hips were asking "why the heck are you doing this?"---LOL! I couldn't get a pic on that part of the trail but this one is from above on the road. It went further to the left a ways too.
View attachment 79418

We sat on a picnic table for a few minutes then headed back to the Lodge, taking the road back! It was wet with a layer of mud but much easier than the trail. Downhill all the way back another mile.
View attachment 79419

Got back to the room. Return walk took 32 minutes. Watched the end of the Xfinity race then cleaned up for supper. Although pretty stiff and sore, (me worse than her) we walked across the road to the Latchstring Inn for a steak supper.
View attachment 79421

Was dark when we went back and had to use the flashlight on the phone for a good bit of that walk. The sidewalks between the two need better lighting.

Of course the time change was expected, but still caught us leaving the room about a half hour later than check out time. We grabbed a late breakfast at a nice cafe called Cheyenne Crossing. Used up the picture limit. Great food everywhere we ate.

Got home in time to watch the last stage of the Cup race after diving through the hills a bit on the way home.

I think my girlfriend has her batteries recharged for awhile now. We'll see how the birthday next month goes!

DAC
Loved seeing Spearfish when I was out there, just love being in the mountains seeing the landscape and wildlife.

Sure glad to hear that neither of you fell on that trail. Sounds like a nice time and it was thoughtful of you to get away with her.
If I didn't live here and like it so much it would be in the Black Hills somewhere. Stayed out there a few times and enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Beautiful pics Doug. We spent our Honeymoon in the black Hills at the Hanna Creek campground 56 years ago. You can tell Loree from me that there's nothing wrong with turning 65 that being 79 won't make her appreciate in retrospect. :thumbs: I'm really loving being "late middle aged". ;)

Looks like you all had a great time. I would love to get out that way. We are due ourselves. It seems like the spontaneous trips are best for us and just wing it as you go. The trails look nice but I’m not so sure now days. We have camped and hiked all over the Great Smoky Mountains in the past. Tell Loree 65 is just a number it’s how you feel and you learn to enjoy the little things more. We both will be 70 this year. Glad you had a good time Doug.

Loved seeing Spearfish when I was out there, just love being in the mountains seeing the landscape and wildlife.
We saw a few deer< Jake, but there was evidence of Elk and Bighorn Sheep around!
Sure glad to hear that neither of you fell on that trail. Sounds like a nice time and it was thoughtful of you to get away with her.
If I didn't live here and like it so much it would be in the Black Hills somewhere. Stayed out there a few times and enjoyed it.
We kinda figured that last part of the trail was going to cause us to take a fall but somehow, we fumbled past it, Chris---LOL!
That is one part of the country I would like to see. Other part is the great smokey mountains.
The Smokies are beautiful as well, Roger. We spent a week in Wytheville, VA in 2018. Love that area too!
Beautiful pics Doug. We spent our Honeymoon in the black Hills at the Hanna Creek campground 56 years ago. You can tell Loree from me that there's nothing wrong with turning 65 that being 79 won't make her appreciate in retrospect. :thumbs: I'm really loving being "late middle aged". ;)
I remember you saying that once, Lorna! We drove by Hanna, not on this trip but last summer when we went up to the cemetery Mom is at. I didn't think to take any pics then darn it! Hanna is only 4 or 5 miles from where we stayed over the weekend. That little campground was a favorite of Mom's side of the family. I'll let Loree know what you said!
Looks like you all had a great time. I would love to get out that way. We are due ourselves. It seems like the spontaneous trips are best for us and just wing it as you go. The trails look nice but I’m not so sure now days. We have camped and hiked all over the Great Smoky Mountains in the past. Tell Loree 65 is just a number it’s how you feel and you learn to enjoy the little things more. We both will be 70 this year. Glad you had a good time Doug.
Thanks, Jim! I'll let her know! The trail we took was rated "easy" in the guide in the motel room, but we did expect the ice going in. It was mainly the one part near the end that almost became a problem. If you folks ever decide to come out this way, let me know!

I got some angle iron out and took some measurements to start building a tool rack on that scrap trailer yard cart, but that's far as it got. I was behind on doing some scanning for the Hall of Fame and some more stuff came in to get done so spent the afternoon scanning editing photos and then posting it to the Facebook group. That is caught up now so maybe I can get some building done tomorrow.

DAC

Back