And more junk.

Most of the nails will go in the garbage as my hands don't hang on to hammers all that well any more. Good for some whacks but steady hammering like the framing days, can't happen any more. That's why I have to use screws a lot in wooden construction like those tractor decks I built for the lift.

DAC
Not a lot of regular nails being used any more. Either screws or air nailers. I picked up a framing nailer several years ago when we put up the pallet building and machine shed. Later I drove by a yard sale one day and saw some air hose. Went back ang got to talking to the guy and ended up with 100ft or air hose and around 3K framing nails of various lengths for $60. Took me over 2 hours to sort out the different nails. Those loose ones will drive with a hammer too.

As most of you know about the chicken coops I built for us and one for my son. I used needle most pliers and kicked myself so many times for not buying a pneumatic stapler. My son doesn’t have much patience so he struggled the whole time building his. I sold most all my regular nails when I retired. I had several partial 50lb boxes of various nails.

I've always had a knack for sharpening drill bits. One day when working for Southern States a co-worker was having a heck of a time drilling something and said there wasn't a new bit that size in shop and was gonna go to Ace for a new one. Told him to hand it to me and I went to the grinder and sharpened it in a few seconds. He said it wasn't gonna work as he'd never seen one sharpened like I did that would cut. Told him to try it
and it went through like butter. But the smaller ones are getting harder to see to get them right as time goes by. Had a drill Dr many years ago and I never could sharpen with it.

I’m still pretty good at it but like Daniel mentioned the small ones are getting harder to see. When I was growing up my dad was a machinist and was always bringing bits home. Once they broke the tips off they would toss them. My dad was good at sharpening them and of coarse taught me. Sharpening bits, straightening nails, and assorting hardware in baby food jars was a big part of my life growing up. Lol

I could sharpen bits by eye at one time on the bench grinder or a sanding belt but have lost that talent. I don't drive enough nails any more to need the needle nose, but when I do seems I can still set the nail so my fingers ain't there if I miss---LOL! I definitely use vise grips when I have to use a cold chisel or a punch to drive out stubborn roll pins, or things like that. I have a pneumatic stapler that can do brads, but no nailers.

Boy I had some senior days recently rather than senior moments! Last few days when I put on my steel toe shop shoes there was some pain in my left foot, big toe area specifically. I get toe pain that moves around so didn't think much of it. Last night I noticed that toe was swollen a bit. Went to wash the bottom of my foot and there is a pretty good size hole gouged out of the bottom of the toe---LOL!

Cleaned it out and bandaged it up. Looked at my shoe this morning and found this!
IMG_1261.jpg

Inside the shoe.IMG_1264.jpg

Chunk of steel I pulled out of the shoe. The rusty end was gouging my toe!
IMG_1266.jpg

I can't place where an orange piece of steel was being used in the shop that I cut pieces off of. Goes to show that taking pain lightly because a person hurts all the time should still get checked into! Tetnus shot is up to date I think, we had to get them quite often at work.

Feel pretty stupid about this fellas!

DAC

Last edited:
I’m still pretty good at it but like Daniel mentioned the small ones are getting harder to see. When I was growing up my dad was a machinist and was always bringing bits home. Once they broke the tips off they would toss them. My dad was good at sharpening them and of coarse taught me. Sharpening bits, straightening nails, and assorting hardware in baby food jars was a big part of my life growing up. Lol
And soldering the metal baby food jar lids to a bicycle rim to make a rotating jar holder.

And soldering the metal baby food jar lids to a bicycle rim to make a rotating jar holder.
Dad never done the bicycle wheel thing he just screwed the lids on a rotisserie thing he made out of 2x4’s that rotated like a tumbler.

Another thing about nails is while working in construction I could never stand to see nails wasted. I would actually pick them up for my use later. Some of the guys would laugh but never knew the history of nails. My dad would bring home a lot of wood he salvaged at work from discarded crates. It was mostly on Fridays so I knew what we would be doing Saturday morning after breakfast, pulling and straightening nails. A lot of good memories.

I wish you could have seen the expression on my face when I saw what was stuck in your shoe. Good thing you didn't let it go until it was infected.
Probably looked similar to mine when I saw the hole, Chris---LOL! The swelling seems to be going down. I tried to say off of it much as I could. Sat at the computer most of the afternoon working on some sign stuff.

Sounds like a good idea, Roger! I have at least a hundred pill bottles I should do something with or throw in the garbage---LOL! Don't know what happened to the baby food bottles we had from the kid days. I did use some to mix paints for lettering signs or to hold thinners. I would punch a small hole in the lid and drip thinner into the dixie cup the lettering paint was in. Needed to be thinned occasionally during the process of lettering a sign or vehicle.

Dad never done the bicycle wheel thing he just screwed the lids on a rotisserie thing he made out of 2x4’s that rotated like a tumbler.

Another thing about nails is while working in construction I could never stand to see nails wasted. I would actually pick them up for my use later. Some of the guys would laugh but never knew the history of nails. My dad would bring home a lot of wood he salvaged at work from discarded crates. It was mostly on Fridays so I knew what we would be doing Saturday morning after breakfast, pulling and straightening nails. A lot of good memories.
My Mom was the saver in our family. She was a pretty good handyman doing house repairs and maintenance around the land. She would straighten nails too. When I started carpentry I could bring her new stuff so she didn't have to scrounge any more!

DAC

Glad your foot is doing better Doug that could have been a lot worse. That metal must have been razor sharp to go that deep. I was walking last year up by my bone yard wearing gym shoes and felt a sharp pain by my big toe. I dropped down like a rock and found a thorn ran up the side of my toe. I hobbled back to the house and soaked it in peroxide and alcohol. It hurt for a couple of days. Like you I had a tetanus shot about four years ago.

I learned what I know about building by working with My Old Deere tearing down houses for the lumber. We would bid on a house for demolition and carefully take it apart and haul the lumber home and stack it, remove and straighten the nails, strip the wire and sell the copper, etc. etc. Most of our graineries back in the day were built out of reclaimed lumber as well as the shop and a chicken house. I probably still have a couple of coffee cans full of straightened nails out in the shop.

Years ago when I was working construction we put new cedar shingle on a corn crib roof. One is always dropping a #3 nail now and then and always bent one from hitting the sheathing nail. With 4 or 5 guys several nails would be on the ground at days end. Guy we were working for would pick them all up at night, straighten them and throw them back in the box. Once a nail is bent its strength is lost and good chance it will bend again if not hit square. Real pain when a bunch of straightened nails are ever third nail you grab trying to put a roof on.

Decided to go to Urgent Care just to see if there if something else should be done about the toe. They said I was caring for it right, but there was infection. Put me on antibiotics and they said keep doing what I'm doing. Got a tetanus shot since there is no record of the last one I had. The city gave them to us regularly but never gave us documentation, so I couldn't prove that I was up to date.

Didn't get anything done again today.

DAC

Carolyn has an ingrown toenail on her big toe. Regular Dr. said it needed to be removed. Set apt with a foot Dr. He would not do it due to poor circulation in her feet so now has to see another Dr. first. I think those Dr's play musical chairs with people just to milk all they can out of Medicare and insurance companies.

Which toe? Did you say or did I forget?
You can get by without all your toes except the big one. I hope it's not that one.
Big toe left foot, Chris. I'm not thinking it will come to amputation but you never know.

Carolyn has an ingrown toenail on her big toe. Regular Dr. said it needed to be removed. Set apt with a foot Dr. He would not do it due to poor circulation in her feet so now has to see another Dr. first. I think those Dr's play musical chairs with people just to milk all they can out of Medicare and insurance companies.
I had both of the toenails removed on the big toes many years ago because of that, Roger.

Still didn't do anything today. Had company all afternoon.

DAC

Sounds like they just want her to have the typical pre op visit to make sure she’s healthy enough for the procedure.

It dawned on me where that chunk of steel came from that stabbed through the shoe and gouged the toe! I trimmed a half moon shaped piece off the fender pan of the MF1450 a couple months ago for transaxle dipstick clearance. I must not have gotten it swept up and somewhere along the way it poked into the shoe. May not have worked clear through until last week. Hard to say. That isn't orange paint on it, it's faded MF Red! Laid around a good bit of the day with a bare foot up on the coffee table watching the race. I figured it was about time it got some air.

DAC

Back