And more junk.

In the late 60's I had a large track, I think was 1/24 scale. The cars were possibly up to 8" long, but soon after the HO scale came out and was near impossible to find parts for my cars, so I bought an HO set. After having the large scale set, I just never liked the HO nearly as much. Larger seemed like you were almost in the driver's seat!
The pickups on the big cars were actually woven metal fibers.

Daniel I was into the 1/24 scale pretty deep growing up. We had a very large hobby shop about two miles from home that had a 6 lane competition race track. We would saddle up on our bikes and be gone for hours. It cost .25 cents an hour to race all you needed was your car and a certain type of controller that the Cox company made. I won a lot of stuff I was very competitive with these two cars. They gave away a lot of prizes but the free race passes was what I liked sometimes those quarters were hard to earn. Lol

I can remember running those little cars until the pickup shoes were worn through. I don't know how many times I rode my bike up to the Gateway shopping center to Darlene's toyland for parts. Our source for everything from control line airplane kits to HO stuff. Loved that place.

Thanks Doug. Nice work on the customs! The Porsche is an Amrac. I think the other two are Tyco. I would be interested in parts and track if you have them, let me know.
View attachment 86382View attachment 86383View attachment 86384
I also have this chassis with no body. It’s the same as the Buick.
View attachment 86385View attachment 86386
I remember Amrac now! They were the predecessor to Lifelike! There may be one or two in my junkyard boxes. No parts available for them now but some Lifelike parts may fit.

The Wrangler car chassis and the no body ones are Tyco 440 chassis. Some parts are available for them. That indy car has the best chassis in it. That's a Tyco 440X2. We would modify those things until they would drive almost full trigger around various tracks. When they would let go, usually the car was broken beyond repair---LOL! Definitely my favorite Tyco. We called them "no see ums" as they were so fast after a lot of modifying. We never ran Indy bodies though. Indy's got used as a base to build a dirt late model on. This was my fastest one and it never got destroyed. It was repainted several times through the years. Started life as one of those Indy cars.
DSCN5827.JPG

What chassis are under the '40 Ford and '57 Chevy? Tyco there too, but there are several variations.

The ones you pictured are in pretty bad shape. Might take an awful lot of work to get them to run again. The corrosion looks pretty bad and they are not real easy to take apart and clean up. The commutator brushes may be stuck inside the tubes too. Things don't corrode that bad out here in the dry country---LOL! Might be several days before I can see what I have for parts and track, Nick.
In the late 60's I had a large track, I think was 1/24 scale. The cars were possibly up to 8" long, but soon after the HO scale came out and was near impossible to find parts for my cars, so I bought an HO set. After having the large scale set, I just never liked the HO nearly as much. Larger seemed like you were almost in the driver's seat!
The pickups on the big cars were actually woven metal fibers.
8" long sounds like 1/24th for sure Daniel. By the late '60's early 70's that's what I was racing too. Didn't have my own track though.
The brushes were braided copper or silver wires.

Daniel I was into the 1/24 scale pretty deep growing up. We had a very large hobby shop about two miles from home that had a 6 lane competition race track. We would saddle up on our bikes and be gone for hours. It cost .25 cents an hour to race all you needed was your car and a certain type of controller that the Cox company made. I won a lot of stuff I was very competitive with these two cars. They gave away a lot of prizes but the free race passes was what I liked sometimes those quarters were hard to earn. Lol

I was like you Jim, raced at a big commercial track downtown after I "graduated" from HO to 1/24th. They would have 8 hour "enduros" and us kids were racing mainly adults in them. When I first started racing there the owner was a widower and my Mom was recently divorced. He took a shine to her and it helped me get into the 1/24ths pretty cheap! My first one was similar to the Cox cars you posted, Jim. It was called the "Stinger". When the controller was lifted a big wing opened up on the rear and under throttle it would close back down. Mine was green like that one.
Stinger slot car.jpg
Was fast in it's day but all those "old" guys that started racing had custom built "plumber" chassis cars with brutal little motors in them that ran circles around it. I had to get into those too. Back then a race ready plumber chassis car with a group 20 motor would cost 40 to 50 bucks! My sugar daddy that was sweet on mom sold out so I lost that free ride---LOL! managed to get a couple saving money from working for the trailer park owner. I only have a couple 1/24th bodies I raced, a 1/32 scale plumber chassis and a Cobra "Fun Car" that we found after the '72 flood. The Cobra would do Wheelies down the straightaways at that big track. Was too slow and handled poorly for racing. The cobra still runs. Cleaned the flood mud out of it right away back then. Yeah I ran stock car bodies while everyone else ran can-am looking bodies.
flood 124 slots.jpg

Got the computer work done to start lettering those Camaros.

DAC

Last edited:
Doug you were into this way over my head. We had a guy start a slot car business a few blocks away and that was far better than HO. It was a 2 bit an hour track and my allowance was 50 cents a week. Needless to say things were very tight in my racing world.

Last edited:
I remember Amrac now! They were the predecessor to Lifelike! There may be one or two in my junkyard boxes. No parts available for them now but some Lifelike parts may fit.

The Wrangler car chassis and the no body ones are Tyco 440 chassis. Some parts are available for them. That indy car has the best chassis in it. That's a Tyco 440X2. We would modify those things until they would drive almost full trigger around various tracks. When they would let go, usually the car was broken beyond repair---LOL! Definitely my favorite Tyco. We called them "no see ums" as they were so fast after a lot of modifying. We never ran Indy bodies though. Indy's got used as a base to build a dirt late model on. This was my fastest one and it never got destroyed. It was repainted several times through the years. Started life as one of those Indy cars.
DSCN5827.JPG

What chassis are under the '40 Ford and '57 Chevy? Tyco there too, but there are several variations.

The ones you pictured are in pretty bad shape. Might take an awful lot of work to get them to run again. The corrosion looks pretty bad and they are not real easy to take apart and clean up. The commutator brushes may be stuck inside the tubes too. Things don't corrode that bad out here in the dry country---LOL! Might be several days before I can see what I have for parts and track, Nick.
Thanks for the info. That late model looks great! I would have thought it was factory made if you didn’t say anything.

Here are the Ford and Chevy…
81F1A403-CA5E-4A0A-8554-A22B1B7E351B.jpeg
Those cars were in my grandparents attic for years, probably the worst place they could have been. I was thinking if I can’t get them to work, I could just put those bodies on different chassis. I’d like to keep them period correct though.

No rush on the parts and track, I have enough to keep me busy for a while.

Doug you were into this way over my head. We had a guy start a slot car business a few blocks away and that was far better than HO. It was a 2 bit an hour track and my allowance was 50 cents a week. Needless to say things were very tight in my racing world.
The 1/24th cars were a blast that's for sure, Chris. Downside was the size of the cars and space needed for a track at home. I never raced then again after that flood.

Nice miter box.
Thanks Willie. Be nicer if it plugged into an outlet!

Thanks for the info. That late model looks great! I would have thought it was factory made if you didn’t say anything.

Here are the Ford and Chevy…
View attachment 86414
Those cars were in my grandparents attic for years, probably the worst place they could have been. I was thinking if I can’t get them to work, I could just put those bodies on different chassis. I’d like to keep them period correct though.

No rush on the parts and track, I have enough to keep me busy for a while.
I built that Late Model quite a long time before bodies were being produced, Nick. They are out there nowadays, but I don't know if anyone makes them for Tyco.

Those chassis are Tyco HP-7's. Very reliable runners but don't handle very well. Can't do much to help them either. I can probably come up with correct replacement chassis for those bodies.

Had an emergency sticker job come up so the slot cars are being put off for a couple days.

DAC

Back