And more junk.

669 means electric start and 659 means recoil start. Those right angle gear boxes on that deck are tough. They may just need cleaned up and greased.

On my 990 in the steering the bevel gears can be shimmed to make the mesh tighter if worn which most of these tractors are because of their durability they were never sold until they were in bad shape.
Good info on that model number Jim! Where did you find that out? The left gearbox is junk. The splines stripped on it. Probably 3 decades ago, in order to mow again, I had a friend weld the cross shaft to the gearbox input shaft. That's probably why it has the big oily looking spot around it. Probably melted the seal. Didn't get a pic of that cobble job. Maybe tomorrow.

I do remember the center pin of the steering "rack" is badly worn. I might be able to put a bushing over it or replace the pin. That might be a project for later. Seems like that pin is welded into the frame.

DAC

Good info on that model number Jim! Where did you find that out? The left gearbox is junk. The splines stripped on it. Probably 3 decades ago, in order to mow again, I had a friend weld the cross shaft to the gearbox input shaft. That's probably why it has the big oily looking spot around it. Probably melted the seal. Didn't get a pic of that cobble job. Maybe tomorrow.

I do remember the center pin of the steering "rack" is badly worn. I might be able to put a bushing over it or replace the pin. That might be a project for later. Seems like that pin is welded into the frame.

DAC
The older Sears / Ropers used a right angle gear box similar to whats shown. Could very well be the same. Though they are tough to come by too today..Just something to keep your eye open for..
I have 2 near perfect decks of the same just can't bring myself to let them go

I remembered the serial numbers helping someone awhile back on the MTD Facebook group.
I found your manual.

Thanks for the help, Jim! Good job helping someone on that FB page. Obviously 141 is not a production number like a lot of serial number prefixes.

That’s a cool little tractor, it’s good to see you got it running again. I just saw one of them pop up on Marketplace…
View attachment 84741View attachment 84742View attachment 84743
Looks to be about the same as mine, Nick! If the engine is not locked, it's well worth a hundred bucks I would think. I really doubt that I could get any more than that for mine here though, even running. Looks like he had the same problem I did on the front wheels. My uncle had run that thing on bad wheel bearings to the point the hubs were wallered out bad. I found some different wheels that worked and were close to the right height. Don't look like that guy did. Those are pretty tiny!

The older Sears / Ropers used a right angle gear box similar to whats shown. Could very well be the same. Though they are tough to come by too today..Just something to keep your eye open for..
I have 2 near perfect decks of the same just can't bring myself to let them go
Those right angle gearboxes may have come from some independent manufacturer. A long time ago Noel said his MF8 had the same gearboxes when he saw a pic of this MTD. Evidently several manufacturers used similar or the same ones, Bill.

I went against my gut feeling when I installed the gas tank the other day and used that old fuel shutoff. Sure enough it started leaking after I went in the house last night! Fortunately there wasn't huge smelly mess to clean up. I pinched the fuel line and pulled the tank. Tank has a male 1/4" pipe fitting and all I had was a male valve. Dug around and found a coupler. There was plenty of room to use it so no problem.
DSCN6395.JPG

Then I dug in some more junk and found a nob for that kill switch. I think it's an old radio knob.
DSCN6393.JPG

Then I started thinking. Opps that creates more work---LOL! The 3 point on the MF1450 really doesn't do to great pulling trailers. If the tongue weight gets light the 3 point pivots up. It doesn't have a provision to lock it down. Thinking this tractor could have a stationary female hitch receiver on it for the trailers. It needs to be higher than the "drawbar" on these tractors for the trailers to ride level.
DSCN6396.JPG

Haven't brought in the trailers yet to find a good height but this is the area I think. The ones that use a ball is a bit variable as I have several different male receivers. The freebie toolbox motorcycle trailer is a bit different though. This is what I built a few years ago for the T-frame on the 3 point. I can pin the gravel drag to it an adjust how much pivot. Stole that idea off of sleeve hitch pics I've seen. It works for that M/C trailer well. That's how I pulled it home.DSCN6397.JPG

Built it from one of those cheapie HF receivers. Think they are 11 bucks.
DSCN6400.JPG

Propped up a piece of 2" I.D. square tubing in the area where it would be positioned. Need to figure brackets and a length to cut it at. Can probably use some existing holes if I figure the brackets right.
DSCN6399.JPG

We are probably going to do a spur of the moment vacation over Labor Day weekend and the following week. Loree is burned out at work and decided it's time to burn up what little PTO she has. We will swing over to the Salt Lake City area, and visit several of my cousins then head south to I-70 east to Denver to spend a couple days with my sisters. Maybe we will be able to stop at the Arches National Park on the way. We can't hike or anything so seeing places that we can drive to might be doable. I downloaded and printed some maps and possible routes today for her to look at. Time is going by fast!

DAC

Doug, that deck looks very similar to one for a mf 7/8. Here is a picture of one that I have View attachment 84756
That deck is very similar, Ted! Sure looks like the gearboxes may be the same! There has been a stripped spline repair on that one on the right. The deck on this MTD was a floating design but with just rear wheels and not adjustable front links, it would still scalp. MF by far had a superior design with the rollers.

DAC

Had a bunch of other things going on this weekend, but did get some shop time this afternoon.

Had this old 1-7/8" coupler laying around in some junk and decided to put it on that toolbox trailer I hauled home a while back. Came from scrap at work. Then I don't have to build that clumsy contraption I was going to make for the MTD660. The other yard trailers use that size too.
DSCN6402.JPG

There was a rod end for the hitch on that thing but it broke off when I tried to unscrew it.
DSCN6401.JPG

Rolled the trailer over on it's top and cleaned things up for welding.
DSCN6403.JPG

Got it centered and level with the trailer and gooped some weld inside it. No pic of that. Rolled the trailer back over, hit it with a Scotch Brite and sprayed some Krylon Satin Black on it. Maybe can work on a raised hitch ball for the tractor tomorrow.
DSCN6404.JPG

DSCN6405.JPG

DAC

Had a bunch of other things going on this weekend, but did get some shop time this afternoon.

Had this old 1-7/8" coupler laying around in some junk and decided to put it on that toolbox trailer I hauled home a while back. Came from scrap at work. Then I don't have to build that clumsy contraption I was going to make for the MTD660. The other yard trailers use that size too.
View attachment 84896

There was a rod end for the hitch on that thing but it broke off when I tried to unscrew it.
View attachment 84895

Rolled the trailer over on it's top and cleaned things up for welding.
View attachment 84897

Got it centered and level with the trailer and gooped some weld inside it. No pic of that. Rolled the trailer back over, hit it with a Scotch Brite and sprayed some Krylon Satin Black on it. Maybe can work on a raised hitch ball for the tractor tomorrow.
View attachment 84898

View attachment 84899

DAC
That’s going to be a handy rig Doug. I like using a hitch ball vs the typical pin type hitches for yard trailers. It must be nice to be able to see your floor unlike me. Lol

That’s going to be a handy rig Doug. I like using a hitch ball vs the typical pin type hitches for yard trailers. It must be nice to be able to see your floor unlike me. Lol
You probably have "Sawdust" all over your floor, Jim---LOL! The only parts of the floor that is visible is the area under the lift and the pathway to get to it---LOL!

Got some time this afternoon to make up a simple hitch for the MTD 669. Better remember that it has electric start!
Found a scrap of 2-1/2" square tubing and drilled a couple holes in it.
DSCN6407.JPG

Bolted a 1-7/8" ball with a couple of washers under it into one of the holes, then cleaned it up and sprayed some paint on it.
DSCN6408.JPG

Used that small lift I bought a few weeks ago and jacked up the tractor.
DSCN6409.JPG

Made it easier to reach under and bolt the other end of that tubing to the tractor.
DSCN6411.JPG

Didn't get to pull it around yet but hopefully soon! I am going with Chris' (@Cvans) idea of a tool cart for the yard. Will haul the chainsaws and other tree trimming stuff in it along with some basic tools.
DSCN6410.JPG

DAC

Not only for yard work but a good place to store them when not in use. Always in the same place.
Since I found a key that works, I might do that, Roger! Still wouldn't keep some low life from stealing the whole trailer. Might have to think of a way to theft proof it. Coupler has no lock provision.

I couldn't leave well enough alone, so after I had my semiannual pulmonology checkup this afternoon, I started building a leg with a wheel on it to move it around and support it when not in use.
DSCN6412.JPG

Pivots 90* or even 180* which I will probably use when pulling the trailer.
DSCN6413.JPG

Cut that inner shaft off and found a piece of square tubing for the leg. Decided to put a caster wheel on it. Bolted a thick washer to the wheel and welded it to the square tube.
DSCN6414.JPG

Welded the pivot shaft to the square tube and tested it out. Kind of crude but it should work.
DSCN6415.JPG

DSCN6416.JPG

DSCN6417.JPG

Rolls around well on the concrete, gravel won't be so good but it should still be ok.
DSCN6418.JPG

Still have to paint the leg and build a pin.

DAC

Locks aren't made to keep people out, just made to discourage them. Out of sight, out of mind can work great benefits. Big dog works good too.
Someday I need to get my new shed done! Probably would have room to roll it in there easily! I take the guts out of my bigger trailer coupler as they wouldn't get far before the trailer uncouples---LOL! Not quite as easy with this one.

Hire Smith & Wesson to look after your things. I have two dogs and Savage working for me.
The only gun I own is an old S&W revolver. Loree doesn't like to have it in the house. She has been scared of guns for 42 years now since our brother in law shot himself in the foot while we were out camping in the middle of the northern Black Hills. He is very good with guns and owns probably hundreds of them by now, but he flat screwed up that day! I had to haul @$$ with all 4 of us in the cab of his pickup to the nearest hospital in Spearfish on trails and gravel roads. When we got to the ER of course they wanted to know what happened. He told them a band of wild Indians came out of the trees, shot him in the foot and left him to die---LOL! They didn't think that was funny. We had a racecar at the time and I built a new gas pedal that had a hole in the area the bullet went through so pressure wouldn't be put on that area and we raced the following Friday night---LOL! It was a .22 Ruger revolver he shot himself with. Fortunately, it was just his little toe on the right foot!

Dang another long stupid story! Anyway, I'm not a responsible enough person to own dogs. They would not get the attention they need and we like to just "up and go" places. Can't do that with dogs to care for.

Not that we have a theft problem out here, but just don't know when it may happen. I have security cameras but sleep through the notifications most of the time. The yard light in the driveway is a big help. It lights up the front of the shop and east end of the house. Thieves like it dark.

Had one more HVAC contractor stop out this afternoon, and I really like the guy. He said that he could replace the evaporator and condenser since about two years ago we had a bunch of new components put into the furnace. The lines can be cleaned as well. Sure hope to see some major savings over the 6 grand the other company quoted. That did not include electrical hookup either.

After that contractor left I painted that leg for the toolbox trailer and built a pin. I still might go to HF and get a box of "real" pins and replace it. Used a steel fishing leader for that little cable.
DSCN6421.JPG

Put some of the tools for tree trimming/cutting in it just to see how things fit. The extension handle for the electric pole saw has to be broke down like how it was shipped to fit. Hope to never have to use that buck saw---LOL! Will think of something to lay in the bottom of the box. I have a big roll of that shop floor rubber that I might cut a piece to go in it. I need to build a couple of simple sawbucks to strap to it also. It has always been a battle cutting up what few trees and branches without them.
DSCN6422.JPG

Figured I just as well start the chainsaw since I dug it out. I used it once over a year ago to cut down a dead 50 year old pine tree and two little ones deer ate. Didn't add gas or bar oil. Still had plenty of both in it. Fired up just like it was supposed to. Let it run for a bit but didn't want to open the shop door due to the heat outside. Saw was a HF special probably 5 years or so ago now.
DSCN6423.JPG

DAC

Yesterday I got some shop time and forgot to post it last night.
Pulled out a roll of vinyl flooring to cut pieces to lay in the bottom of that trailer.
DSCN6426.JPG

It's too long to leave it out so I have to fold the roll causing some wrinkles. Some work with a heat gun and rolling the 18"x5' piece up while hot got it to lay flat.
DSCN6427.JPG

While that was cooling there was still more carpet tape and caulk that needed scraped and pulled out.
A wood chisel ended up working the best.
DSCN6429.JPG

Put that piece in there and with just a little heat gun work, it laid flat. Had kind of curled the other way being rolled up hot on the tight end.
DSCN6430.JPG

Cut a couple of 5x18" pieces for the tool trays too.
DSCN6432.JPG

Ready to load some junk into it.
DSCN6431.JPG

There will be a few hand tools and electric saw batteries to put in there. The gas chain saw case has some tools and a bottle of chain oil in it.
DSCN6433.JPG

Didn't get much done today besides prepare some things for our drive to Utah and Colorado.

DAC

Last edited:
Vacuumed cleaned windows inside and out and checked fluids (what you can check) on Loree's Equinox, then took it fuel up and run it through the car wash. It's ready for the trip.

Got home and decided to go ahead and put the '55 and some tractors in the shop while we are gone. First time the '55 has been on the lift!
DSCN6435.JPG

DSCN6438.JPG

There are six tractors in the shop, and the tree trimming trailer too.
DSCN6436.JPG

DSCN6437.JPG

I'll finish packing tomorrow and load what I can in her car. Plan on being on the road before daylight Friday morning.

DAC

Brought back some junk on the trip. Got back last night. My oldest sister wanted to clean out her garage. She had a bunch of junk to donate to a thrift store or the trash. We loaded up what we wanted and took a couple loads to a store. The best thing I got was a new in the box Die Hard battery charger. It's the old school type with an actual amp gauge and automatic float feature. My old one still works but has been beat to hell.
Of course I had to use it right away, as some dummy left the ignition key in the on position on the mobility scooter LT.
DSCN6566.JPG

I have a bad dislike of the modern chargers with buttons, lights and no amp gauge!

Lots of junk to sort out yet.
DSCN6563.JPG

There are some family antiques that have meaning to me at least, a couple of small tubs with some fairly valuable agates and other misc. stuff no one here would have an interest in.

Now I will get laughed at! She was throwing this old Craftsman miter box away. It is better than the ones I already have so it came home with me!
DSCN6567.JPG

Nope I never did spring for a power miter box since I don't need one that often.

And more junk continues---LOL!

DAC

Back