And more junk.

Doug, on replacing your shop lights, if I understand it right if you get the right model of LED tube for your present tube they are a direct replacement. No wiring change necessary.
Yes, Roger. The ones I found so far require the newer electronic ballast and won't work in the old transformer style ballast. Need to do a little more research, but who knows how long those old ballasts will last!

I found a picture of my brother-in-laws '47 Plymouth.
WKP 47 plymouth.jpg

I had to run a bunch of errands in town today unfortunately. It was the coolest day of the week. Got a little lawn tractor work done in the shop though. Jacked up that MTD660 and removed that LR tire that blew out the other day.

An LT with hubs don't exist anymore that I know of!
DSCN6359.JPG

The tire dismount tools. That automotive bead breaker did work on this 8" rim! I just had to open the bead from the wheel a bit with the wonder bar.
DSCN6346.JPG

Rim isn't in too bad of shape.
DSCN6348.JPG

Sanded some rust on the outer bead and sprayed some paint on it.
DSCN6349.JPG

While that was drying, I worked on getting a new exhaust pipe routed. I found one 3/4' close nipple one 6" nipple and a 3/4" coupling in this mess of pipe fittings,
DSCN6350.JPG

Screwed that stuff together and I may need an 8" nipple but will try this.
DSCN6352.JPG

DSCN6355.JPG

It has to angle down some to clear the hood. Clears the grill just fine.

Maybe I can weld the coupling to the muffler and screw it on. Will have to run a couple bolts through the old mount holes and possibly weld them too. Still thinking about it. Don't want to spend money on a new muffler.
DSCN6357.JPG

Went to start wrestling that tire on the wheel and discovered a plug in the sidewall. Not going to mess with tubeless after all. Dug around for a little longer and did find one 8" tube! By that time I decided to call it a day and come on the site.
DSCN6358.JPG

Probably going to Spearfish tomorrow to help get that '47 running. It's only going to be 103* they say so it shouldn't be too bad---LOL!

DAC

Love that car Doug especially having all the chrome painted. Nice choice of wheels too. So many of these classics are ruined with their choice of wheels.

On your shop lights. Type A led tubes are compatible to some old ballasts but lack efficiency which really some what defeats the purpose. They give a chart showing what ballasts will work. Type B or A/B tubes are plug and play.

I have been helping my son replace his old 4 ft. flourescent bulbs with LED. The ones he bought, you just get rid of the ballast and do a little easy rewiring in the fixture ( without replacing any parts ) and they are good to go. His new bulbs have better light and they should last a long time.

I have been helping my son replace his old 4 ft. flourescent bulbs with LED. The ones he bought, you just get rid of the ballast and do a little easy rewiring in the fixture ( without replacing any parts ) and they are good to go. His new bulbs have better light and they should last a long time.
We did a bunch of these at work. Snip, snip, couple wire nuts and you are good to go. They were all 8’ if I can remember right.

It’s much better in every possible way. I don’t know about power consumption as our electric bill is outrageous with 3 phase service and a ton of power being used.

We did a bunch of these at work. Snip, snip, couple wire nuts and you are good to go. They were all 8’ if I can remember right.

It’s much better in every possible way. I don’t know about power consumption as our electric bill is outrageous with 3 phase service and a ton of power being used.
I changed every light over to LED a couple years ago. Thought the electric company would owe me money every month.. Honestly didn't notice any savings ...definitely a lot less maintenance though... Always had a step stool or ladder within reach to change bulbs or florescent tubes. don't know where they are anymore... the stool and ladder that is..;)

I changed every light over to LED a couple years ago. Thought the electric company would owe me money every month.. Honestly didn't notice any savings ...definitely a lot less maintenance though... Always had a step stool or ladder within reach to change bulbs or florescent tubes. don't know where they are anymore... the stool and ladder that is..;)
The light output is worth it alone. That side of the shop was always dim. Now it’s much brighter!

We are slowly getting rid of the old sodium 480v fixtures and going with 277v LED high bay lights.

I’m not sure how much but it’s got to be cheaper. I had ten of the old ballast 4’ fixtures. Extremely slow startup in the winter, buzzing, and flickering not to mention having to replace the tubes a few times within a year. I bought a 12 pack of the led 4’ fixtures and only needed 8. I’ve got them on two switched circuits because I usually only need half the shop lit up.

I think you guys convinced my to go with the ballast elimination tubes. Was pretty much what I wanted anyway. Just need to crap the money and but some. Most of my lights ate 12' off the ground so it will be a lot of ladder work. It is anyway replacing tubes periodically. I counted a while back but don't remember for sure but I think I need 50 tubes. Then 16 here in my office on top of that.

Went up to Spearfish today to get the '47 Plymouth running. Lots of bikes around Sturgis and motorhomes pulling trailers. No traffic problems yet. They lower the speed limit from 75 to 65 between Rapid City and Sturgis and that seems to confuse a lot of people though---LOL!

"They" only missed the high for today by 3 degrees. High was right at 100*!

My cousin had taken the battery to get it charged at the hot rod shop that does a lot of work on the car for them. He didn't trust his charger after I told him I didn't trust it---LOL!

He put in the battery while I removed the oil bath air cleaner. I gave it a squirt of ether and it tried to start right away. Cranked it again and fed it a little ether until the fuel pump picked up and she was purring like a kitten! Got it warmed up a bit and shut it down and got the air cleaner back on. It was time for a little exercise then.
IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

That car rides great, drives smooth and it's comfortable. They did get the interior re-upholstered, but I didn't get pics of that.
Still a slow turner-overer but 6 volts are that way from my experience. I had a 6V '55 International and it started the same way even with a fresh battery.

There is something about original survivor cars and trucks that I have always liked. Maybe it's because they still wear their history. This is a true survivor.
IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

Hope to get some stuff done in the shop tomorrow. Loree is out of town with her sister and a cousin for a few days so I'm "batchin' it".

DAC

Neat looking Plymouth Doug. Some clean up and polish on the outside with make a big difference in how it looks. On your shop sights, you mentioned you need about 50 bulbs. Remember those LED bulbs will put out a lot more light than the old tubs did you you may get by with a lot less LED bulbs, possibly half?

Roger is right on the amount of tubes needed are less going with led. I’m using 8 in a 20x30 two car garage as my shop. It’s a light house when I use all 8.

That car is one of them I feel should be kept original. I would love to drive something like that. I always wanted a 54 Chevy since that was the year I was born. My dad bought one that was red and white when I was about 2 years old.

Roger is right on the amount of tubes needed are less going with led. I’m using 8 in a 20x30 two car garage as my shop. It’s a light house when I use all 8.

That car is one of them I feel should be kept original. I would love to drive something like that. I always wanted a 54 Chevy since that was the year I was born. My dad bought one that was red and white when I was about 2 years old.
In my 32 X 36 X10 machine shed with only a couple old crank out camper windows on the back there is very little light in there. I replaced two 300 W bulbs with two of the 4 wing LED type screw in fixtures. Made the world of difference. Going to put a couple in the garage also. Have one in the 8 X 12 tool room. Plenty of light.

It was time for a little exercise then.
Doug I'm a little disappointed in you. You can't drive a car like that without a Dancing Hula Girl on the dash.
That's quite the ride you have there. Cool evenings with the widows down and a trip to A&W. Enjoy!

I always wanted a 54 Chevy since that was the year I was born. My dad bought one that was red and white when I was about 2 years old.
54 is one of my favorite Chev's. Much better looking to me than the tri 5's. My Aunt had 4 dr. that was all dark green. She drove it until she got out on a hill without it being in park. Rolled backwards and knocked her down and rolled into another car. My Dad told her she couldn't drive anymore and I have know idea what happened to it after that. Rumor has it the drivers door was wrecked and the car went to scrap. Sure was in nice condition before that.

Very very cool car Doug...

In my 32 X 36 X10 machine shed with only a couple old crank out camper windows on the back there is very little light in there. I replaced two 300 W bulbs with two of the 4 wing LED type screw in fixtures. Made the world of difference. Going to put a couple in the garage also. Have one in the 8 X 12 tool room. Plenty of light.
Now that you guys reminded me, there was another discussion on this site about the LED shoplights. Maybe it was on this thread here when I was putting up those LED 4 footers on the lift. Anyway I now remember you guys saying that fewer tubes would be needed for the same or even more light. Thanks for the compliments on my cousin's car and the info about the lights!

I think that Plymouth should stay as-is too. '54 is a really nice looking car, Jim, but I can't recall any ever in our family. My grandfather had Buicks from '50-'55. Actually, my grandmother drove the '55, he drove the '50 and had a Willys Jeep too.

Really like the car Doug. :thumbs:
Does the local constabulary know you are being left unsupervised? :eek:
Glad you like the car. The constabulary is very busy with a couple hundred thousand bikers that are in the area right now, Rick---LOL! They could care less about me!

Doug I'm a little disappointed in you. You can't drive a car like that without a Dancing Hula Girl on the dash.
That's quite the ride you have there. Cool evenings with the widows down and a trip to A&W. Enjoy!

54 is one of my favorite Chev's. Much better looking to me than the tri 5's. My Aunt had 4 dr. that was all dark green. She drove it until she got out on a hill without it being in park. Rolled backwards and knocked her down and rolled into another car. My Dad told her she couldn't drive anymore and I have know idea what happened to it after that. Rumor has it the drivers door was wrecked and the car went to scrap. Sure was in nice condition before that.
Well, Chris, it ain't my car so no Hula Girl---LOL! I have to drive 50 miles to go cruise in it! There are no drive in A&W's anywhere out this way anymore. Sonic is close as it gets, and I'm not real fond of their food. Seems a shame to scrap that '54 Chevy over a bent up door even if it was sprung! Happened a lot back then though. I remember lots of good cars in junk yards when I was a kid and just minor damage was the problem with them.

Had a bunch of non-tractor stuff to do today, but did get that tire mounted and tubed for the MTD660 LT.

Tacked a piece of 2" tube to the welding table and that did make it less of a struggle. Just needed to slide something onto the tube to hold the wheel down better.
DSCN6361.JPG

Aired it up, pulled the core back out a couple times to let the baby powder do it's thing sliding the tube into a good position. the little tractor is now a roller again until it becomes a runner.
DSCN6362.JPG

Tomorrow I will be working on more non-tractor stuff so won't be much to report.

DAC

That tire has held air since Friday, so evidently, I didn't pinch the tube mounting it!

Still no tractor work, was on the run all day today. These parts for the MTD came in though. There was supposed to be 2 carb gaskets but only one in the box. Might have one laying around here somewhere. Everything else looks good.
DSCN6365.JPG

DAC

I got parts in yesterday also. Even though the rural carrier had to come back and leave what he forgot the first time. First stop he left 4 letters. Came back and left 6 letters and 3 small packages. 2 packages were Coleman lantern & stove parts. Might get a stove going this afternoon. Bought a gallon of Coleman fuel Monday at $21. Use that very sparingly and keep it sealed up.

Back