And more junk.

Doug, that E tool your mom put the handle on is the one that goes with that carrier. Ok, E tool 101, it is Milspeak (military language) for entrenching tool. They can be extended all the way out to make a shovel, or the blade can be positioned 90 degrees to the handle making it into a short hoe. They are used to dig foxholes and other fighting positions, "cat holes" (when nature calls) and as a hatchet/machete (two semi sharpened edges). They could also be used as a hand to hand weapon in a pinch. My uncle has a old Boy Scout version that has a pick opposite the shovel head, came in handy when we use to dig for arrowheads.

Milspeak! I'm catching on, Jake---LOL! Thanks for that info! I figured the one Mom had was probably a surplus knock off that seemed to be common at one time. It does fit the canvas carrier well. I also remember the ones with the pick but didn't know it was a boy scout version.

We found a few arrowheads in the Badlands out Fairburn agate hunting, but most the digging we did was for old bottles.

DAC

That 8 hp MTD is a cool little tractor especially seeing your daughter on it. I have that same engine on my JCPenney tiller with a pull start. It starts up every time first or second pull. I had to eliminate the glass bowl with the brass filter screen.

That’s a neat story getting the Colemans campers package with a car.

MFDAC: That stove, 426E was built in 1967 to 1979. White gas only. US market only. The lantern 228E is a fairly common lantern built in 1951 to 1963 for the US market only. The 220J was built between 1975 and 1979. The propane 5114 lantern was built between 1973 and 1985. Most dual mantel lanterns will fall in the 200 to 220 series with minor variations from one model to the next. Coleman also made a lot of lanterns and camp stoves for Sears. Same item just rebranded.

Last edited:
One of the green lanterns has the storage base that clamps under the fuel tank so storage of a wrench, extra mantels, etc.
I remember those storage bases now. I put them on all of our lanterns with all the parts needed. Replacing the mantels was something needed almost every time we went camping because they were so fragile and fell apart while traveling.

Coleman also made a lot of lanterns and camp stoves for Sears. Same item just rebranded.
I knew nothing about camping before I met Carol. Her family were avid campers and everything they owned was from Sears along with most other things. My FIL thought Sears was the best with everything. When we got married we went and bought most everything we needed for camping but it was Coleman products. Oh my you would have thought I defiled his daughter my FIL was so upset. I knew they were the same but he would never agree because they were different colors. Lol

I remember those storage bases now. I put them on all of our lanterns with all the parts needed. Replacing the mantels was something needed almost every time we went camping because they were so fragile and fell apart while traveling.
I have Dads old dual mantel gas lantern. Used primarily for night catfishing. Would carry it in a 5 gal pail with a burlap sack wrapped around it to hold it steady. Remember cutting the cardboard milk cartons into 1" squares, cut a slit from the center to one side with a razor blade and slip it over the line at the rod tip to see when you had a bite?

That 8 hp MTD is a cool little tractor especially seeing your daughter on it. I have that same engine on my JCPenney tiller with a pull start. It starts up every time first or second pull. I had to eliminate the glass bowl with the brass filter screen.

That’s a neat story getting the Colemans campers package with a car.
This tractor didn't have the glass bowl/filter during the time I have owned it. Sounds like a classic tiller!

I would think if someone had the car and all the Colman gear, it would fetch a pretty good price nowadays. Dad said owning a Ford was a bad omen when he put me on the front seat and I peed on it---LOL! I was around 18 months old.

MFDAC: That stove, 426E was built in 1967 to 1979. White gas only. US market only. The lantern 228E is a fairly common lantern built in 1951 to 1963 for the US market only. The 220J was built between 1975 and 1979. The propane 5114 lantern was built between 1973 and 1985. Most dual mantel lanterns will fall in the 200 to 220 series with minor variations from one model to the next. Coleman also made a lot of lanterns and camp stoves for Sears. Same item just rebranded.
Thanks again for the info, Roger! That 228E has been a great lantern as is the stove. They both still work perfectly. I try to fire them up periodically just to make sure they are ok. Mainly just use them now for power outages, but they got a lot of use in our camping days!

I knew nothing about camping before I met Carol. Her family were avid campers and everything they owned was from Sears along with most other things. My FIL thought Sears was the best with everything. When we got married we went and bought most everything we needed for camping but it was Coleman products. Oh my you would have thought I defiled his daughter my FIL was so upset. I knew they were the same but he would never agree because they were different colors. Lol
My mom was a regular camper when we were kids, even after dad left for a few years. We would go with her sister and husband. Usually just me by than as my sisters were in college.

Met Loree in fall of '75 and soon as the folks would allow it we started camping. At first using the '71 Monte Carlo I had. Sometimes with a tent and sometimes under the stars. Mom would let us use the '70 GMC Jimmy she had occasionally. Could get to more remote places with it. I still have that Jimmy. In '79 we bought the '72 GMC pickup we still have. Had a topper on it Been married a year by then. After kids came along, that '72 had a couple different basic cabover campers on it. We still own a monster cabover but camping in it just seems too hard to get time for anymore. Before kids, we would go to the races Friday night and after they were over head for the hills. Wouldn't come home until Sunday night to be ready for work Monday---if I was working in the area here that is.

Change is one word that should be removed from the English language. I ain't never changing and neither is June Bug!
Roger, Chris and Lorna, I'm the same way. It makes me mad when things get changed and usually not for the better! What once was simple, is now a nightmare to do the same exact thing!

Had a bunch of non tractor related crap to do today, and it was too hot to be outside. I even had to drag the old window a/c out and the Styrofoam spacer to work for a few hours out in the lift bay. Took the temp from 85 to 78, probably cooler right in front of the discharge where I was working on this old MTD.
DSCN6313.JPG

Not efficient at all but still helps. I didn't want to open the overhead door up enough to bring the MF1450 in to crane up the front of the MTD so I pulled out the overhead shop crane. Takes some walking from one side to the other but not difficult.
DSCN6315.JPG

I couldn't remember how to get the hood, grill off. The mount is slotted but was all bent up so it wouldn't lift off. Straightened that out. The other bolts weren't in it. Never have been during my ownership! While it was in the air, I tried out the new grease gun. Worked fine, and felt like the ones I used at my job far as feeling like it is pumping or not.
DSCN6316.JPG

DSCN6319.JPG

Lowered it back down and pulled off the hood. This is how I always used it as Uncle Bill told me it would vapor lock with the hood on.
DSCN6321.JPG

Cleaned up this side of the carb for removal.
DSCN6322.JPG

The muffler which evidently is incorrect came off nicely. Someone told me a long time ago that muller discharging under the hood causes the vapor lock being right beside the carb. Carb came off well too, but I bet the crankcase vent hose will be tough to find. It is shot. Might have to fabricate something different. I will still hang onto this engine if the rest of the tractor is determined to be too far gone.
DSCN6324.JPG

DSCN6325.JPG

I had to cut the fuel line to get the carb off so the gas tank came out along with that battery.
DSCN6326.JPG

I did pull the caps on that old battery and could see there was some electrolyte still in it, but the cell plates look real bad. Didn't waste any time dumping distilled water in and attempting a charge.
DSCN6328.JPG

According to Tractor Data, this looks to be an MTD660, made from 1973-1976. It was already looking just like it does now when I got it in '80 or '81! Uncle Bill must have been pretty hard on it!

DAC

Speaking of change, anyone else getting tires of about every site one wants to get on has to send you a stupid code first? 9 times out of 10 they want to text it and don't like other options. I don't text, never have and never will. PayPal has even started doing it. John Deere Financial has used a code for a long time but they call me. From the time I click on "CALL" and reach for the phone it is ringing. Don't have to say a word. Gives you the code, enter it and you're done. No messing around switching screens, etc. All in the name of change or so they like to say, security.

Speaking of change, anyone else getting tires of about every site one wants to get on has to send you a stupid code first? 9 times out of 10 they want to text it and don't like other options. I don't text, never have and never will. PayPal has even started doing it. John Deere Financial has used a code for a long time but they call me. From the time I click on "CALL" and reach for the phone it is ringing. Don't have to say a word. Gives you the code, enter it and you're done. No messing around switching screens, etc. All in the name of change or so they like to say, security.
That two factor sign in is a bit of a pain but I can work it easily. Sign in on the PC, phone gets the code in a text and I just type it in on the PC. I try to get them to send it in an email, but some won't.

Didn't get anything accomplished in the shop. On the hottest day of the year, the house A/C compressor started squealing bad. Been running it 20 minutes or so at a time to try to keep it below 80F. Going to go buy a window unit for the bedroom at Menards tomorrow to try to be able to sleep until we figure out what we can do. Probably will have to replace the entire system but I hope the furnace will still be useable.

Never had to line up buying one before so it may take me awhile to muddle through it. I'm right in the middle of getting all of our insurance assessed with a different company. That's not a super easy process.

I finally figured out how to look at the security camera site on the PC today also. Here is a pic of us stuffing that air compressor into that Mercedes!
Mercedes.jpg

DAC

Probably will have to replace the entire system but I hope the furnace will still be useable.

DAC
I feel your pain Doug. We nursed ours for two years just having it recharged each year. Last year no go, same story both units had to be replaced. It cost us a little over 7K which I thought wasn’t too bad for something that had to be done. Some bids were around 10K. I must say it’ll never pay for its self but our bills have been lower this year.

That's exactly what I was doing yesterday. Looks like it's going to save us around $700 annually and maybe more.
Looks like just on the 4 vehicles we may save over a thousand a year. Don't know about the house yet. Mobile homes can be tricky to insure.

Just got back home. Sister in law had two portable A/C units we borrowed. Got one going in the bedroom. Be nice to have some where to cool off. What little research I've done is looking like most of the good HVAC contractors are booked up for a long time due to the construction boom going on around here. This could be quite a pain in the @$$ getting something going.

DAC

That two factor sign in is a bit of a pain but I can work it easily. Sign in on the PC, phone gets the code in a text and I just type it in on the PC. I try to get them to send it in an email, but some won't.

Didn't get anything accomplished in the shop. On the hottest day of the year, the house A/C compressor started squealing bad. Been running it 20 minutes or so at a time to try to keep it below 80F. Going to go buy a window unit for the bedroom at Menards tomorrow to try to be able to sleep until we figure out what we can do. Probably will have to replace the entire system but I hope the furnace will still be useable.

Never had to line up buying one before so it may take me awhile to muddle through it. I'm right in the middle of getting all of our insurance assessed with a different company. That's not a super easy process.

I finally figured out how to look at the security camera site on the PC today also. Here is a pic of us stuffing that air compressor into that Mercedes!
View attachment 83979

DAC

Looks like just on the 4 vehicles we may save over a thousand a year. Don't know about the house yet. Mobile homes can be tricky to insure.
mine is a manufactured home, setting on a foundation, 3.5 A of land and is referred to a custom farm dwelling for a brtter ratre.
farm dwelling.
ma

Just got back home. Sister in law had two portable A/C units we borrowed. Got one going in the bedroom. Be nice to have some where to cool off. What little research I've done is looking like most of the good HVAC contractors are booked up for a long time due to the construction boom going on around here. This could be quite a pain in the @$$ getting something going.

DAC
Might even check Wirth mutules in a border counties

research I've done is looking like most of the good HVAC contractors are booked up for a long time
Well at least you have some cooling that will help keep the humidity down. Your lucky you have windows that will accomodate a window unit.
I have 3 family members in the Hvac business so waiting won't be a problem for us.
Is your portable units keeping your place livable?

Good news on the insurance so far. The quotes we got looks like we can save over two grand between the vehicles and house! Loree told the agent "Do It!" sooner the better! I didn't have time for dealing with the agent today.

I got these portables set up today. The bedroom one was kind of thrown together last night so I cleaned that up some making the window spacer more solid in the hole. Rounded up a couple 5-gallon buckets from the shop instead of the smaller ones that were in the house. Will use the smaller ones when the bigger ones need emptied.

Bedroom is staying 72 to 75 with the bathroom doors open. Can live with that!
IMG_1544.jpg

Dining room/kitchen blowing towards the living room. It's not big enough to keep up. Got up to 81 in those rooms. We are thinking about a window unit for above the sink, then move the portable to a vertical hung window in the living room.
IMG_1543.jpg

I had to mount the exhaust spacer vertically. There is only one double hung window and it's in the kitchen above the sink. Got the old fold-up table saw out and ripped a 1x6 down to 4-1/2" to make the upper part of the spacer. Had to do some maintenance on that cheapie old saw. Screws were loose and the saw plate was wiggling around.

I contacted some contractors and only one (the one I like best) was able to schedule a quote. The one I talked to can't even come give a quote until August 29th. The company is in Sturgis but will serve areas around Rapid City that are not within 3 miles of the city limits. The Sturgis Rally also has contractors scrambling for bigger bucks as that is about to start.

Got some other stuff I have to do tomorrow too so things are kind of in an uproar.

No tractor work obviously.

DAC

Back