And more junk.

Nice little set up you got Doug. I got the same Worx Trimmer. I Really like it. The Mrs. uses it to trim the walkways around the house. I’ve used it a few times to cut the drainage ditch along side of the road. Surprising how much it can do for a light weight weed eater.

jhn9840
John

There are timber rattlers up in the Black Hills,
There’s Prairie Rattler’s in Wind Cave national park. Almost stepped on one in the dark. Asked a ranger what kind of Rattler is out at night? He’s the one who told me they hunt after sunset.
And for folks that don’t know, unlike the movies portrays them they don’t sound like a baby rattle, it’s a buzzing sound. At least both types that I have experience with.

Nice little set up you got Doug. I got the same Worx Trimmer. I Really like it. The Mrs. uses it to trim the walkways around the house. I’ve used it a few times to cut the drainage ditch along side of the road. Surprising how much it can do for a light weight weed eater.

jhn9840
John
The one I got Carolyn had the smooth line with it as well as the 3 real pack. First empty one I wound with a twisted ridged type line, .65" She tried it and said it worked much better, was tougher and cut a lot better and quicker. The .95" line I use on my gas-powered unit is a square line. Has to be cut with a sharp knife. Using a side cutter flattens it to the point it will not go into the holes on the spool.

Got that painted bracket bolted on that LT. Holds the trimmer nice. Used a small bungee cord to strap an extra battery and spare reels under the seat.
View attachment 83762

View attachment 83763

Drove it around behind the shop to chop down some tall grass and weeds where this and the Murray had been sitting before being drug out. Believe it or not, that little trimmer will take down mature thistle. Just have to let it work for a moment. That string is very tough too. Will not break right away trimming around the wire fence.

Anyway, then came back around and used the MF1450 crane to haul a mower deck and the old Murray around back and drop in the area that got cut. Not super hot today, but it sure is humid!

And now for a shocker! I actually got rid of 3 pieces of junk taking up room in the shop! Last night I listed my old air compressor and a 25' hose reel on FB for $25. Just wanted to move the stuff without and bull$h!t so put a cheap price on them.

I had to go to a meeting this morning but there was a guy that messaged me that I must have mistyped the price. I said no, want it gone.
View attachment 83765

He said he will gladly give me 40 bucks if I can hang on to it until afternoon. He had to take his wife to the airport for a flight at 1:15. Told him ok, but bring your truck to the airport as you will drive right by my place! He was the only one that answered the ad. Thought he might be a no show, but a very new looking MERCEDES SUV pulled in the driveway! I had told him to back his truck to the overhead door earlier, and he complied with the suv. Soon as I opened the overhead door I knew this wasn't going to go well. An old greybeard got out and said we'll make it fit! Lifted it and nope! Sure bothered me to be shoving that dirty old compressor into that Mercedes! We ended up taking a wheel off and it angled in. Sure hope the oil stayed in it! He gave me 40 bucks and asked if I had more stuff. Told him I had a old HF benchtop drill press. He wanted that. Dug it out and I told him I would throw it in with the deal. He handed me 10 more bucks. Told him to load it up!

Got a couple of small holes to put more junk in now---LOL!

DAC
That’s a funny story sometimes folks pull up with out any idea what it takes to haul something. You definitely had a good price on that stuff but he was nice to give you more.

jhn9840
John
Thanks John! It is a pretty impressive trimmer for what it is! Handles everything on my acre just fine.

There’s Prairie Rattler’s in Wind Cave national park. Almost stepped on one in the dark. Asked a ranger what kind of Rattler is out at night? He’s the one who told me they hunt after sunset.
And for folks that don’t know, unlike the movies portrays them they don’t sound like a baby rattle, it’s a buzzing sound. At least both types that I have experience with.
I don't know how to tell the difference between the two, but Wind Cave Park is mostly grassland so that makes sense. Yes a very distinct buzz. Out at me wife's aunt's ranch in the Badlands on the Rez, the rattlers have picked up a dangerous habit. Most of them won't rattle any more. They lay quiet instead! They still try to run first before striking but won't rattle!

The one I got Carolyn had the smooth line with it as well as the 3 real pack. First empty one I wound with a twisted ridged type line, .65" She tried it and said it worked much better, was tougher and cut a lot better and quicker. The .95" line I use on my gas-powered unit is a square line. Has to be cut with a sharp knife. Using a side cutter flattens it to the point it will not go into the holes on the spool.
This little trimmer I have came with a "Free for life" deal for pre wound reels. In reality it costs about 2 bucks a reel as the buyer has to pay shipping. It is a wound .060 line that seems very tough.

That’s a funny story sometimes folks pull up with out any idea what it takes to haul something. You definitely had a good price on that stuff but he was nice to give you more.
I was kind of thinking he may be getting the stuff to flip. Fine with me. He definitely was an enthusiastic sort of guy. Said he's trying to learn how to weld for a hobby.

I need professional help! This morning my cousin texted and said their 1879 carriage shed has to be torn down. Evidently they found out it is hanging 6' onto a piece of land that is being developed. The developer claims they will pay almost $50,000 to get that strip of land. They live in Spearfish SD so it's about 55 miles. We headed up there with the Denali. It is two brothers, they got their folks 1878 house when they died. Both of them have bad health conditions where they can't do any lifting. The youngest one recently had colon cancer surgery, and the oldest one (my age) recently had back surgery. They said load up what you want out of the garage. It is full of junk to the point of nowhere to walk. I got what would fit in the truck, and can't even tell by looking in there. Of course Loree was with me and did what she could. They asked me to get their dad's old wooden snow skis out of the rafters If I could reach them. Sure I said! I stood on a plastic crate that was strong enough but I stepped off the edge and took a fall, landing on my back on a push lawnmower. Surprisingly I felt alright, just couldn't figure out how to get up. The cousins wanted to call 911 but I said no I ain't hurt! Just had to figure out how to roll over, get on me knees and stand up. Loree was able to grab my hand enough where I could get in position to stand up! Somehow, I didn't get harpooned by anything---LOL! Got the other ski down and loaded the junk in the truck.

Here are some bad pics of the useless junk we hauled home. I need a new camera. I hate emailing pics from the phone as I don't want to downsize the pictures.

Junk piled on the lift.
DSCN6260.JPG

Misc junk pics.DSCN6265.JPG

DSCN6266.JPG

DSCN6266.JPG

DSCN6267.JPG

DSCN6268.JPG

DSCN6269.JPG

DSCN6270.JPG

DSCN6271.JPG

I thought this little piece of history was very cool. My uncle was a underground gold miner for many years before he worked his way up to the machine/welding shop foreman on top the ground. Before factory built hardhats the miners would make their own out of a cloth hat soaked in a resin!
DSCN6261.JPG

Then I finally achieved what I worked for all my life---a pot to p!$$ in---LOL---!
DSCN6275.JPG

I have a plan where to put this crap and also put some of it to work.

DAC

Last edited:
If you ever decide to part with those two Coleman lanterns, they would look good in my collection. Look on the bottom, should be a model number and manufacture date. Model may also be on the silver band under the globe.

Nice collection of items there. That 4-tine pitch/hay fork is kind of interesting. They work great for cooking hot dogs over an open wood fire.

Wow Doug that fall sounds bad just glad you were able to recover enough to get up. A lot of serious stuff in your back that could have been hurt or damaged for good. I have a bad habit of grabbing a bucket to stand on which I know is real bad.

Years ago a family needed an extension on an existing building. They had just bought the place from the original owners that had passed away and their kids sold it. Once I started the process we found out the previous owners were grand fathered in many years ago to build near an easement that was declared much later after they built. Now that it had been sold voided the previous agreement so they could not build.

Those pry bars you have I have almost the same assorted bars that I got at an estate auction. The homeowners husband was a retired RR guy and these were all hand forged specifically for RR use.

Those lanterns might bring a good price to the right buyer like Roger mentioned.

It looks like you got a lot of nice stuff.

If you ever decide to part with those two Coleman lanterns, they would look good in my collection. Look on the bottom, should be a model number and manufacture date. Model may also be on the silver band under the globe.

Nice collection of items there. That 4-tine pitch/hay fork is kind of interesting. They work great for cooking hot dogs over an open wood fire.
Roger, that gas lantern is full of fuel and pressurized! I cleaned it up a bit and tried to take the fuel cap off. Not happening. I thought dang, hate to use pliers. It dawned on me to open the fuel valve and the familiar sound and smell happened. Still pressured up! One mantle is still good but I didn't try to light it. That thing was literally buried in walnuts that squirrels had been putting in the original box to the point where the box crumbled away. There was a bunch of other stuff on top of it including a couple old bicycles. The model number on that one is 220J.
DSCN6285.JPG

The propane one is model number 5114. It was found in the same condition. There was also a 2 burner stove and a catalytic heater. I didn't take them. There was also a couple of empty Colman fuel cans. Didn't take them either.
DSCN6286.JPG

Might be worthwhile to check with antique shops or even advertise for bids on the entire contents. Could be an easy way to clean it out and pay for a dozer or excavator do the rest.
An antique shop would take one look in there and say bulldoze the place. The developer will take care of demolition. They really need to get a rolloff dumpster in there and start throwing the garbage in it, to find more good stuff. There is a ton of fishing stuff, but the oldest cousin's son has claim to that. There are probably 15 big tackle boxes and countless rods and reels. Old fly rod reels on several I saw.

Wow Doug that fall sounds bad just glad you were able to recover enough to get up. A lot of serious stuff in your back that could have been hurt or damaged for good. I have a bad habit of grabbing a bucket to stand on which I know is real bad.

Years ago a family needed an extension on an existing building. They had just bought the place from the original owners that had passed away and their kids sold it. Once I started the process we found out the previous owners were grand fathered in many years ago to build near an easement that was declared much later after they built. Now that it had been sold voided the previous agreement so they could not build.

Those pry bars you have I have almost the same assorted bars that I got at an estate auction. The homeowners husband was a retired RR guy and these were all hand forged specifically for RR use.

Those lanterns might bring a good price to the right buyer like Roger mentioned.

It looks like you got a lot of nice stuff.
When I fell, and figured out what happened I really expected it to be bad, Jim! Then I assessed how I was feeling and knew there were no real injuries! Got a couple of big bruises, and feeling stiff and sore today is all. I think the soreness was more struggling to get up rather than the fall! That was difficult. As you know I have been putting off back surgery anyway but my back doesn't feel any worse than normal!

I don't know the legalities of what's going on with the garage, but all I do know is it will be destroyed and 6' of their entire lot belongs to the developer.

These are definitely railroad irons. The Homestake Gold mine was established in 1877 and it eventually went to a crazy depth of 8500 feet. There were miles and miles of track inside using first horses to pull the ore carts then compressed air locomotives. The horses actually lived underground as it wasn't feasable to bring them up with 24 hour shifts going. They would even breed them underground and some foals never saw daylight.
DSCN6299.JPG

One is a spike puller.
DSCN6300.JPG

Is this a woodshop vise, Jim. That was the first thing that came to mind, but I can't see how to mount it. I think something is missing besides the other wooden jaw.
DSCN6287.JPG

Bad fall. I'm hoping you don't have issues later on.
You have to take a photo of yourself wearing that hat. It might be a keeper. :)
I'm hoping so too, Chris. I'm afraid my melon is way to big to fit in that hat. I hung it on the wall of my office.

This is some of the stuff that was in uncle Bud's survival box. He had about a 40 mile drive round trip to work every day. In the Black Hills during the winter a person needs to be prepared.
DSCN6279.JPG

I had already taken some things out.
DSCN6280.JPG

I have no idea why he had this little bag with rollers from a bearing in the box!
DSCN6281.JPG

Nice tow strap, but age may have made it weak?
DSCN6284.JPG

Going to have to do another post or two for some of the details in all this junk. Please keep reading.

DAC

You Veterans may be able to answer a question I have about this US shovel that was in the box also. Could it date back as far as the Korean war? Uncle Bud was a Tank operator in that war and suffered severe hearing loss the rest of his life due to being hit with shells.
DSCN6282.JPG

DSCN6283.JPG

Have any of you ever seen a washing machine this small? It came from the cousin's maternal side of the family.
DSCN6290.JPG

DSCN6291.JPG

DSCN6292.JPG
The wheels are missing and a bracket that the roller attached to is gone also. Pretty heavy little guy. It was stuffed full of walnuts too and was on top of an outhouse that was built into this old garage. Loree was a big help retrieving that thing while I was on a ladder pulling it out!

Here are some various tools. That wooden mallet has never smacked anything!
DSCN6277.JPG

DSCN6294.JPG

This bucket and box look to be full of tire chain crosslinks. I didn't pull them all out yet.
DSCN6262.JPG

DSCN6263.JPG

This will be the last pic, there is more junk but better not get any longer with this.
Interesting pieces of metal stock. Aluminum, steel and brass. Those two pieces of brass are heavy! They were all in a small box together.
DSCN6301.JPG

I've never had any brass drivers before so they might be useful!

DAC

That’s a bench vise that gets mounted under the edge of your bench. I circled the mounting flanges. Be careful when you torque them down the cast iron can snap. That’s a lot of nice stuff. Those work irons will last for ever. I bought a spud bar at that auction for .50 because no body wanted it. It was in a barrel along with four other bars. The auctioneer never bothered with the others which I wanted too. At the end when I picked up my bar he asked me how do you use it. When I told him he said just take the others too. One of them now is so heavy I drag it instead of carrying it. Lol
IMG_1127.jpeg

That vise is a wood working vise. It mounted to the edge of a work bench with screws up through hose two holes on the back tang. The missing block is held on by two short screws through the jaw plate from the back. OEM handle was p[robably a 1/4" [pipe with a cap on both ends.

It is surprising that those lanterns held pressure through the years. Once that seal is broken probably won't seal again. Both would need rebuilt to be functional. The 220J was made from 1975 to 1978 and is a liquid fuel lantern. The 5114 was made from 1973 to 1985 and is a propane fuel lantern.

That stoved would have been well worth bringing home with you also. Fairly high demand for those in working condition.

I probably have all the parts needed to rebuild a few of those old lanterns. Lot of aftermarket parts can be found on line also but I try to stay with the Coleman originals.

Last edited:
Have several of the different models of the green lanterns. A near new 259 Chrome) that takes the unleaded gas. A 220 that was new in box but the box was trash unfortunately. Small red lantern. An LED battery powered red dual tube we keep charged up just in case. Has CHIEFS on the globe and the arrowhead on the base. Gave the kids on for Christmas last year. Custom made as not availed online. Have the 2 burner stove with the pull-down wire legs that has been rebuilt and test burned only. One of the green lanterns has the storage base that clamps under the fuel tank so storage of a wrench, extra mantels, etc. Have a tote full of the straight clear glass globes. Some if not all are Coleman branded. Lot of fun gather up these old relics and returning them to full operation again.

Doug, that E-tool looks just like the ones made today, BUT, the carrier is definitely old, Korea to Vietnam. The new carriers are plastic. That canvas one having the lower end open might have been for the old wood handle E-tool.
E-tool sounded like something microsoft would be marketing at first, Jake---LOL! Got to remember that I was 4-f when the draft was going and never did any military service! Still don't know why it would be called an E-tool. Sorry I'm a dum@$$!
This must be what you were referring to. I doubt the shovel was an actual military item, and my mom put a new handle in it probably 50 years ago or more. She carried it in her truck in case of emergency. Maybe that's what the "E" means? It does fit like you described.
DSCN6309.JPG

DSCN6311.JPG

That’s a bench vise that gets mounted under the edge of your bench. I circled the mounting flanges. Be careful when you torque them down the cast iron can snap. That’s a lot of nice stuff. Those work irons will last for ever. I bought a spud bar at that auction for .50 because no body wanted it. It was in a barrel along with four other bars. The auctioneer never bothered with the others which I wanted too. At the end when I picked up my bar he asked me how do you use it. When I told him he said just take the others too. One of them now is so heavy I drag it instead of carrying it. Lol
View attachment 83894
I figured that was the mount but it never occurred to me it mounts UNDER a tabletop! Dum@$$ again---LOL! I don't have a table it would work on.
Sure understand why no one would want those bars, that means they might have to actually use them! I'm thinking about donating them to the Black Hills Mining Museum in Lead, SD. Isn't it weird how stuff like this gets heavier as time goes by?

It is surprising that those lanterns held pressure through the years. Once that seal is broken probably won't seal again. Both would need rebuilt to be functional. The 220J was made from 1975 to 1978 and is a liquid fuel lantern. The 5114 was made from 1973 to 1985 and is a propane fuel lantern.

That stoved would have been well worth bringing home with you also. Fairly high demand for those in working condition.

I probably have all the parts needed to rebuild a few of those old lanterns. Lot of aftermarket parts can be found on line also but I try to stay with the Coleman originals.
That's great information, Roger! I think the stove I left up there is the one with the wire legs that fold down. I never even opened it. One corner had some pretty bad rust where it had been sitting in the dirt. Don't think it was rusted clear through though.
I guess you are the man to identify the lantern and stove we still use occasionally.

The stove is model 425E
IMG_1533.jpg

The lantern is model 228E.
IMG_1534.jpg

The last time we camped has been years I still have three of the old lanterns that used the white gas. I have two of the silver ones that takes unleaded gas. I have the stoves also one large and one small one.
Pretty cool how that white gas never goes bad! The can I use is at least 25 years old! Goes to show how little we use that stuff anymore!

Have several of the different models of the green lanterns. A near new 259 Chrome) that takes the unleaded gas. A 220 that was new in box but the box was trash unfortunately. Small red lantern. An LED battery powered red dual tube we keep charged up just in case. Has CHIEFS on the globe and the arrowhead on the base. Gave the kids on for Christmas last year. Custom made as not availed online. Have the 2 burner stove with the pull-down wire legs that has been rebuilt and test burned only. One of the green lanterns has the storage base that clamps under the fuel tank so storage of a wrench, extra mantels, etc. Have a tote full of the straight clear glass globes. Some if not all are Coleman branded. Lot of fun gather up these old relics and returning them to full operation again.
Mom and Dad bought a brand new '58 Ford wagon with a Coleman camping package. It had an umbrella tent, cots, sleeping bags, utensils, the red lanterns, can't remember if they were single or dual mantle, a fold out table and a 3 or 4 burner stove. There was more stuff too but can't remember any more. They didn't like the car and traded it in late '59 for a GMC Suburban. Still had the camping stuff until a flood in '72. Found the table and the stove. They got shoved under the new trailer house until 2006 and I scrapped them when that old trailer house got replaced. They were beyond repair I think.

I got the storage plan done today even in the near 100* heat. I'm pretty beat!

Opened up a plastic shed and pulled out junk and an old lawn tractor. Put air in the tires and shoved it over to the overhead door. Just used a two wheel cart that folds out to be a 4 wheeler to move stuff from in the shop.
DSCN6305.JPG

I built a table in there and was able to put the big survival tote under it on that creeper. Then I put more junk on the table. It was so hot I didn't get a after picture.

That little 8HP MTD LT and I go way back to about 1980 or '81. Can't remember any more. It was old then when I got it from another uncle, Bill. I always called this tractor Uncle Bill. I mowed with it until 2005 or 2006. Then I got that Murray that I recently determined to be scrap. It was in mid 2011 when I got the MF12G and found out that tractors are actually considered cool and collectable! I had the MF8E since around 1990 also but all it could do is push snow and gravel.

This is my avatar picture taken about 1995. Our daughter who is now 33 playing on it. The office in my shop wasn't done yet and the MF8E is in the background.
Erin on MTD.jpg

When I got the shed closed up the MTD got shoved into the shop after I raised the lift.
DSCN6306.JPG

I had completely forgotten that there was a battery in it! I think the date numbers that are pulled out say Oct. 1989!

DSCN6307.JPG

DSCN6308.JPG

Fortunately, the inside of the gas tank looks clean! That engine had been rebuilt once in the years I owned it. Traded sign work for the overhaul.
I had to do it. Added some oil, hooked the booster up and it turned over well using the key. Gave it some ether and it fired up right away! That's far as I got. The lift room had gotten up to 85F and it was time to go to the office and cool off and come on to this site.

Don't know what I will do with that thing yet, but will probably get it running on gas and see if it still moves.

DAC

Last edited:
Doug the stuff stored or thrown in that shed seems to be in surprisingly good condition. Sure looked like fun with the exception of falling on your @##
Most of that stuff was packed in boxes or in drawers, Bill. Good thing the lanterns were built tough, as they had been right in the squirrels fun time areas. Yeah, the falling on my @$$ part was no fun but somehow, I didn't have to get hauled to the ER!

DAC

Back