Another Craftsman?, Yup. Slightly Different Than My Others........

1967Craftsman's

Tractorologist
Here is my newest buy, or my birthday present to myself as I bought it a week before my actual birthday. Do I need it?...... no not really, do I have room for it?...... no not really, did I really want it?....... yes. My stepdad went and got it, because I was working at the time. The asking price was so good, I could not refuse and allow it to get away so I gave him the money and asked if he can get it for me. This is Craftsman #4 for me now. I believe its a 1969 model with the solid state engine and after watching a video of one very similar on Youtube, but I will get the numbers off the shroud at a later date hopefully soon and do more research. My stepdad said that the lady selling it had about 5 other people messaging her about it when he was at the ladies house looking at it, and the lady said "I didn't think there was this many people interested in it". My stepdad said that the lady said that her son told her to buy it, and she tried it out and it was too fast for her and she was scared to drive it so she parked it 3 years ago. It unfortunately does not have a deck, but it does come with a snowblower attachment! This is my first hydrostatic tractor, so wish me luck as I never had one before. My plan right now is to get some wiring fixed, get a battery box made because it does not have one, MAYBE get the seat upholstered, get it running again and just leave it as is paintwise.

1691701717344.png

1691701735299.png

1691701753359.png

1691701764869.png

1691701789632.png

1691701802734.png

1691701817354.png

1691701830019.png

And bought a new drive belt yesterday as the original looks tired and looks like it could break at anytime. Here is the number on the original belt, and if you can’t see it the number is PIX A66 141 6801. At first I bought a 71” belt, but after doing more research I found out it’s a 68”. Otherwise this is all I done so far for now, more to come hopefully soon…….

1691701966122.png

New belt picture below……..

1691702008165.png

If you get to the trans and need to replace the fluid, don't run out and buy the Cub Cadet $22/qt synthetic. The price is nuts. The Mopar AFT+4 is nearly the same stuff for it. It's what I used in my Crasftman for years before giving the machine to my cousin.

If you get to the trans and need to replace the fluid, don't run out and buy the Cub Cadet $22/qt synthetic. The price is nuts. The Mopar AFT+4 is nearly the same stuff for it. It's what I used in my Crasftman for years before giving the machine to my cousin.

I probably won’t do anything with the transmission at first right away except for drive it around a few times when I get it running to see how it drives, but when I do I will eventually drain the old fluid out. First things first though are to try and figure out how to get the old drive belt off, to put the new one on. Good to know Mopar fluid will work if I need it, thank you. That will work out nice too because I drive a Mopar as a daily driver, however I have some Walmart SuperTech transmission fluid that I put in my daily when it needs it that I may use first if it’s the right kind. Otherwise the Mopar will be my go to. You ain’t kiddin’ when you say the prices are expensive for this type of fluid, I was gonna buy some at tractor supply with a $10 off coupon and a 12 pack of a quart of fluid was something like $40.00!

You're getting a nice little collection.

Thanks Bill, I appreciate your compliment. I’ll say the collection is coming along at a nice kinda slow pace, but the only problem is it seems like I buy a tractor every year and I got more projects than running tractors. I only got 1 that runs, but I’ll get the rest going though at some point. Good news is this hydrostatic is probably not gonna be that hard to get running if it was running not too long ago…… so I hope. I may however sell my ‘65 Heavy Duty at some point when I get it running though so that’ll bring me down to 3.

My sears hydro (just a few years newer than that One) it's owners manual actually said "use type F transmission fluid AND NOTHING ELSE". But as long as you're starting fresh with an empty trans I'm sure any of the different hydraulic fluids would be fine.
My ariens actually want 5-30 motor oil as trans fluid.
On your tractor I like the "cubic inch" call outs
I'm so tired of everything now having to have a metric designation.

My sears hydro (just a few years newer than that One) it's owners manual actually said "use type F transmission fluid AND NOTHING ELSE". But as long as you're starting fresh with an empty trans I'm sure any of the different hydraulic fluids would be fine.
My ariens actually want 5-30 motor oil as trans fluid.
On your tractor I like the "cubic inch" call outs
I'm so tired of everything now having to have a metric designation.

I still have to check and see what type of transmission fluid I have, cause like a dummy I didn't do that when I was in the shed today. Mine unfortunately did not come with a manual, and it's gonna be really tough to find one at least right away I gotta strong feelin'. I like the cubic inch call outs too, it reminds me of the late 60's- late 70's cars saying what the engine was on the sides of the hoods or fenders.

Well thanks to my stepdad pointing it out and me thinking nothing of it, today I realized I think I got the wrong drive belt........ again, for the Craftsman. I did more research and it looks like (and makes sense now) that its the same belt as my yellow Craftsman, or a 73" because the belt that is currently on the hydrostatic here is NOT connected to the drive pulley or the silver thing behind the engine. So that said back to Tractor Supply I go....... for the 3rd time:rolleyes::(, oh well.........

IMG_0218.jpg

Here is an example of how its supposed to be, (courtesy of a member on GTTALK from 2016).........

1691898651364.jpeg

I finally checked what transmission fluid I got for my daily driver today, here is what I got.......

IMG_0231.jpg

Well thanks to my stepdad pointing it out and me thinking nothing of it, today I realized I think I got the wrong drive belt........ again, for the Craftsman. I did more research and it looks like (and makes sense now) that its the same belt as my yellow Craftsman, or a 73" because the belt that is currently on the hydrostatic here is NOT connected to the drive pulley or the silver thing behind the engine. So that said back to Tractor Supply I go....... for the 3rd time:rolleyes::(, oh well.........

View attachment 72168

Here is an example of how its supposed to be, (courtesy of a member on GTTALK from 2016).........

View attachment 72169
I see so many differences. :eek:

Well, I went to tractor supply today and exchanged the drive belt. HOPEFULLY this will FINALLY do the trick and I won't have to go back again. I also (although I probably didn't need to) bought a new spark plug for it while I was there, and put it in too. I was also gonna buy a new battery cable for it, but luckily my stepdad says "I have one". Otherwise this is all I did to it today, so that said there will be more to come soon......

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

Back