Another Craftsman?, Yup. Slightly Different Than My Others........

Well I got good news but mostly bad news. Today I moved the tractor out a little from where I stored it to work on it, I hooked up the battery from my yellow Craftsman to the cables and turned the key to see what happened. Unfortunately low and behold, nothin. The engine does NOT turn over or do anything BUT I do have headlights so that’s kinda reassuring, next thing on my list to do is to change out the voltage regulator because it’s a little rusty and I’m thinking that MIGHT be the problem. Im gonna change it out and I will update back unless anyone else has any other ideas……

D90A0765-24E2-41ED-9D1F-B580EB311099.jpeg

I wouldn't put a voltage regulator on just yet Eric. That's not your problem with getting it to turn over. You're going to have to start with a meter or test light and go from the battery to the key switch to starter relay and so on and so forth...just doubtful the voltage regulator has anything to do with it just yet...you'll go broke just throwing parts at it.

Be nice if we had a wiring diagram so we could possibly help you along a little better...

I wouldn't put a voltage regulator on just yet Eric. That's not your problem with getting it to turn over. You're going to have to start with a meter or test light and go from the battery to the key switch to starter relay and so on and so forth...just doubtful the voltage regulator has anything to do with it just yet...you'll go broke just throwing parts at it.

Be nice if we had a wiring diagram so we could possibly help you along a little better...
Bill is right, Eric. A bad regulator won't keep the engine from turning over. Maybe you can jump the solenoid to see if the engine cranks?

DAC

Bill is right, Eric. A bad regulator won't keep the engine from turning over. Maybe you can jump the solenoid to see if the engine cranks?

DAC

A member on MyTractorForum (besides Bill) said that it won’t be the regulator either. I will try what you suggested Dac, but I also got a suggestion of turning the engine 720 degrees then checking the generator to a ground. So I will do that too and see which one works
:thumbs:

And the moment everyone’s been waiting for in this post. Since I swapped spots with my yellow Craftsman for the year because the show and fair season is over, I can actually get a picture and a pencil rubbing of the engine model tag on the hydro now. Hopefully now I can work on it more since it’s more accessible in between my kidney dialysis…..

0FEB842E-D968-421F-B84C-DD0D8BC1BC95.jpeg

6D400359-2270-4EDE-A46D-25AF8816AD77.jpeg

If I'm reading that right is it 113-599012 ? Pretty sure without looking its a HH-100. But more guys may chime in about it.
Still can't find a plate on the tractor itself for a model number ? Usually under seat somewhere or maybe back of the frame. Honestly that would be more helpful in finding parts for the tractor as far as belts and stuff..

I do know that Tecumseh engines used on Craftsman equipment don't have the same number as a "normal" Tec would have. I have an HM100 or HS100 in the MF8E but the Sears numbers are different than Tec's. I forget right off hand which one it is---LOL! Craftsman Snowblower engine.

DAC

If I'm reading that right is it 113-599012 ? Pretty sure without looking its a HH-100. But more guys may chime in about it.
Still can't find a plate on the tractor itself for a model number ?

Correct on you reading the number right Bill, I’m 95% sure it’s an HH100. The tractor does not have a plate with a model number on it, it came without one. If it had one it would be in front of the seat on the frame like this one here…..

1699398414606.jpeg

Finally got the hydro running and took it for a little ride around the yard tonight!! All it took to get it running was just tapping on the starter generator with a hammer….. who knew. It started on the 3rd try without smoking and runs, but it unfortunately is not charging according to the ammeter when the headlights are on. According to that it DEcharges, and the gauge needle goes to the left instead of the right when it’s in the middle so I’m thinking it’s the VR. Now I’ll meter check the VR and battery with it not running and see what they read, then I’ll check em when it’s running, and I’ll change em if necessary unless anyone has any other ideas. Now the main thing I gotta do is get a battery box made and change the oil cause it’s black…..

3EA3E44F-8AAE-437C-B6AF-DD23E43BDA68.jpeg

B684C404-2487-4CD8-BED5-5F238AAD79C8.jpeg

Good Morning To All,

This morning before I go to my kidney dialysis for 3 hours we meter tested the battery before the tractor was running and after it was running. I thought we were gonna meter test the voltage regulator as well but my stepdad says no we can’t really do that and that the battery will tell what it is. When not running and testing the battery, the meter reads 12.6 and when running the meter reads 12.4. I also am changing the oil this morning too before I leave in about 45 minutes. So as of right now, when I get back from my dialysis my plan is to finish the oil change, and change out the voltage regulator. Anybody else got any other ideas before I do this in 4 hours?……

557C7EE9-8563-46D7-B404-C6C5EA269B75.jpeg

D4BADEBE-8B5F-4FF0-BD24-F73738F2B43A.jpeg

Update on the hydro…..

The oil change is done, and I also did it. I mostly took the voltage regulator off, however there is a screw that holds the wire in place that is giving me a hard time so I gotta tackle that next but that will be in the coming days. I did get the regulator off the frame though, here is what it looks like……

C64DBF2E-D33C-4E11-AC66-8E0E14C87BBA.jpeg

D2D5C305-BCA9-43E0-9B46-D5CA03BF8007.jpeg

32566288-0967-4EBE-89DF-90FCABB32DFE.jpeg

Again if anyone else thinks it’s something different than the regulator that is making it DEcharge then let me know.

Update on the hydro…..

The oil change is done, and I also did it. I mostly took the voltage regulator off, however there is a screw that holds the wire in place that is giving me a hard time so I gotta tackle that next but that will be in the coming days. I did get the regulator off the frame though, here is what it looks like……

View attachment 75370

View attachment 75371

View attachment 75372

Again if anyone else thinks it’s something different than the regulator that is making it DEcharge then let me know.
Hopefully your new regulator is the same as the old so it takes the guess work out of installing the new one.

Hi Everyone.

Here I go riding into the sunset so to speak, as I took the tractor for its first real test ride today. All in all I’m satisfied with it and like the way it rides, although it almost left me stranded on the side of the road as I didn’t have enough gas in it…… oops. I will probably take it for another little ride later this week though as it’s supposed to be in the low 60s then put it away for the winter, but first I wanna and gotta clear off my storage shelf to swap spaces……

1A0E5C9A-ED14-4ECF-B3E5-D8B770E81191.jpeg

E6738EEE-8505-4E70-B572-3A5C1459F428.jpeg

FCD34135-1F90-4621-BBC1-CE5FA7DFE2B1.jpeg

3211D313-ACB7-47C3-87F3-7FD13F31245C.jpeg

Back