Battery grease gun

4getgto

Bill from Northampton County, Pennsylvania
Bought myself an early birthday present. Played with it a little bit and think I'm going to really like it. A cheaper ($89) brand but had good reviews. Light, compact. Holds the normal size tubes. Primed up pretty fast too. Uses a USB cable for charging the 12v battery. Supposedly pumps up to 6 tubes before a recharge. Time will tell..
Screenshot_20230707-185433.png

Screenshot_20230707-185410.png

Last edited:
Keep us posted on how it works, Bill! That's a good price! We had a Milwaukee at the job I retired from. A lot of guys didn't trust an electric, they didn't think it would have the pressure to pump through old long lines we had to deal with. I kept telling them Explain to me why I have to put tubes in it often if it isn't pushing the grease through. Hard headed guys wouldn't listen. There was only two of use that would use it and we are both gone now.

I have a pneumatic one but using a hand pump is easier than fighting the air hose.

DAC

I had a NAPA pneumatic grease gun and it was a joke. The pump kept cavitating and I'd have to take the hose loose to get the air out. I'm a quick leaner though, only took about 4 dozen times before I threw it away. :rolleyes:
One of my son's bought me a Dewalt and that thing is awesome. Primes right away and never cavitates. I used to hate greasing some of the things we have around here because they take a whole tube but now it's easy.
You'll have to keep us updated on how your new one works. Your going to really like if it works like you say. :thumbs:

The IssueI have with either battery or air is you no not know if it is actually pumping grease. Mower spindals should have at least one pump every 8 hours. ifd one is not taking grease how long will it go before it goes out due to lack of grease. Have electric and air and both are hanging on the way with no tubes in them. They may xcycle but that don't mean grease is going through. I do not trust them.

All things you guys mentioned are a concern.
As Roger said you kinda won't know if a spindle is getting grease. My thought around that is do a fitting you can see before and after doing a blind zerk and that should tell you grease is and was there... I did do a little comparison on how much grease is pushed out. 3 "cycles" on the battery gun equals about 1 "pump" on the manual gun.
And you are right there's no sound difference in way the gun works so you really have no clue. Doug talked about his work buddies using them on long extended hoses and not knowing for sure if its taking grease. And I guess if you can't see the grease being pushed out it would make you wonder a little.
Chris mentioned pneumatic. I remember them and using them from a 5 or 30 gallon can. And you do invent some new swear words using em. But they did change sound when not pumping so you knew what was going on.

With battery powered grease guns, you learn fast how you can feel and hear when grease is being moved. If path is plugged, the gun just stops, and if it runs without pumping, you can both hear and feel that no grease is being pumped. Southern States bought my M18 Milwaukee grease gun from me when I retired so I replaced it with an M12. It did ok, but didn't have a
high speed for filling large cavities like a farm wagon wheel hub.
So recently I was at one of those tool outlet stores that only sold Ridgid and Ryobi and picked up a Ridgid 18V 2 speed grease gun for $129, tool only, no battery or charger. I still have a few Ridgid
cordless tools, so I have several batteries and a few chargers. If registration is completed within 90 days, it has a lifetime warranty. I like it as much as the M18 Milwaukee and it was less than half the
price. Both brands produce 10,000psi.
IMG_20230708_081411.jpg

Just a little update on the battery grease gun I bought back in July. So far its working good. Hold a charge well. Pumps good. Loads easy and bleeds easily. Though I really don't use it a whole bunch it beats the old hand pumper's . Does it work better than more expensive one ? Don't know never used one before. But I'm liking this one. Sure makes things easier..
IMG_20231215_082251.jpg

IMG_20231215_082304.jpg

I have an air operated one and the neighbor has a couple battery powered ones. What we have found on both of them is if a zerk gets plugged you don't know it as the gun cycles just the same. Big chance of bearing not getting grease when we think it did. They may have corrected this in the newer guns, our are several years old.

I have 2 old school air powered ones, each holds a 5 gallon bucket of grease and have a pretty long hose from the handle to the fitting. And I fill my older school hand grease guns off of it. Much less headaches bleeding the air out vs changing cartridges (grease tubes)

I was gifted a DeWalt rechargeable and so far it has been faultless. When greasing the excavator it takes a whole tube of grease so it saves my arthritic hands a lot of work. The NAPA pneumatic grease gun was a total joke. Forever having to bleed the air out of it.

I have an air operated one and the neighbor has a couple battery powered ones. What we have found on both of them is if a zerk gets plugged you don't know it as the gun cycles just the same. Big chance of bearing not getting grease when we think it did. They may have corrected this in the newer guns, our are several years old.
This one seem to change tone when it can't pump. Also sounds different when empty.
But yea there could be concerns .
This one doesn't put out the same amount of grease per cycle as a hand pump. So runs a bit more.

I noticed my air gun take about twice as many strokes as a hand pump gun. All the new equipment has grease banks on them. Push a button in the cab and grease goes out to all the lines to the bearings - supposedly. My neighbor burned up a year-old bailer last year. Vermeer tech said a line got pinched and shut off the grease supply. He was headed home and 1/4 mile from the drive when he saw the smoke and flames.

I need to look at that too. Like Chris, my hands hurt something fierce trying to squeeze the hand pump type. I have a pneumatic one but it quit working. Haven't messed with it to see why.

We had two battery operated ones at my former job. Both expensive ones I suppose. The Milwaukee made a definite different sound and "throb" feeling when it would run out or couldn't pump grease.

The other one was a Lincoln, may have been a bit cheaper. It had a little "piston" that would pulse out of it and if there was no grease or it couldn't pump, the piston wouldn't move. I pumped hundreds of tubes through each of them and trusted them all the time.

DAC

I need to look at that too. Like Chris, my hands hurt something fierce trying to squeeze the hand pump type. I have a pneumatic one but it quit working. Haven't messed with it to see why.

We had two battery operated ones at my former job. Both expensive ones I suppose. The Milwaukee made a definite different sound and "throb" feeling when it would run out or couldn't pump grease.

The other one was a Lincoln, may have been a bit cheaper. It had a little "piston" that would pulse out of it and if there was no grease or it couldn't pump, the piston wouldn't move. I pumped hundreds of tubes through each of them and trusted them all the time.

DAC
Yea a little bit of a learning curve as far as sound and feel but definitely beats pumpers , squeeze type or lever. And I honestly don't have that many things to grease anymore.
Oh the luxuries of getting old...smarter and lazier..

Back