Beware of Husqvarna Garden Tractors!

I've been working on a GTH2548 Husqvarna lawn/garden tractor. So I took a dial caliper to the frame. Now mind you, this is a several years old GT, so it's plain to see how they are cheapening the frame metals, as this one measures .172", so right at 8 gauge steel vs the 12 gauge in the case of this sorry new bent frame. NO tractor "worthy" of being called a garden tractor has a 12 gauge frame!

You realize you are going to have the newest restored tractor in history LOL.

That reinforcement redesign on the newer machine doesn't look all that strong either. Seems like some angle would be better than straight bar.

Thank you for that laugh! Spinning words to create a positive light on a subject is usually for personal benefit, in this case it just emphasized the absurd. I have an almost "Brand New" restored tractor. It just doesn't sound right!

On the other, I was hesitant myself. I will point out that the frame is as thick as a sub-compact Kabota. That said, not as tall.

I have many observations about how the good in other machines might benefit this one.

I also have other mis-representations from Husqvarna to share.

I have learned so much in this project, having good ideas in my head that cost me time and money, but also letting persistence to getting it right pay off.

I am ready to start the new build updates, My question to the forum is if I should start a new post for the build, or just keep it all in this post?

A preview, I have 7 hours on the finished for now machine, all with the Johnny Bucket, a great piece of equipment that works as advertised. Thank you to Johnny Buckets! (obviously to the curious, that is not a review for how it is holding up over time, but so far better than Husqvarna can do).

And this is the reason I will not keep or use anything newer then the early nineties. When I was little my one uncle fixed up a little 5hp Crusader badged ride on lawn mower. He took the little single blade deck off of it and made me a dual wheel cart to pull behind it. One summer I took it up to my other uncle's to help him pick rocks out of his garden. After fabbing up some home made tire chains I pulled a rock out of his garden about half the size of my little tractor. Yeah, it was small, but it was built better then most of today's junk.

I want to say, after reviewing diagrams of these older tractors, mostly 80's and lower (with some exception) and reviewing design, I agree with them being better built. It seemed that the manufacturer that was badged on them was actually building them. I found that it was actual craftsmen that welded these frames, which in my mind gives us a better chance at enjoying the pride in someones work. The component built stuff of today (with some exception) lacks all possibility in this kind of (local, regional, national) pride in product/production. This is an opinion I have been developing as I have been learning.

The Husqvarna GT/TS is built by companies that are hidden from public scrutiny and companies we know, but I wonder if they actually produce anything on their tractors? Seriously, Kawasaki built the motor (Kawasaki North America, and stens (Ariens)) Tuff Torq Built the transaxle, They don't produce wire, electronic sensors and switches, hardware, gauges, lights, tires, wheels, bearings, raw material, cast iron axles, belts, stamped steel decks, or the now stamped frames. Am I missing anything?

I'm placing a much higher value on anything real, such as the fabricators at the shop in Orlando that still value pride in what they produce.

Everything is subcontracted and someone assembles.

Depending what you buy, what you use it for, ect. I think there are still good products being made. But you arent going to get them cheap. That husqvarna you bought would probably provide someone many years of good service mowing a lawn and light snow plowing. But when used for ground engaging implements it didn't hold up even though it was billed as a machine being capable.

Simplicity, and john deere make nice machines in their mid to top tier machines. Well built in my opinion. The lower end models are nice but they are cheapened to keep the price point low.

The x700 series deere machines are beasts! But the price tag is up there too. Gotta pay to play though.

Most of the older tractors were also built by other manufactures, Fords were built by Jacobsen, MF were built by Snapper, Allis Chalmers built by Simplicity..... etc etc... but back then they were built to last, modern stuff isnt... to me this Husq looks nothing like a garden tractor capable of using ground engaging equip, an 8hp tractor from the late 60s will out perform it any day.... but theres no cruise control;)

Another update,

The grade of oil for an engine is important, and the grade recommended by the manufacturer for the operating conditions is even more important, at least as far as warranty is concerned. The oil grade is even more crucial when it is acting as the engine coolant (air cooled engines).
Here is Husqvarna's recommend in their revised (2018) owners manual on PDF, from their site specifically for the GT48DXLS (only engine on the DXLS was a Kawasaki FR730V, and the only mower deck was a fabricated).

husq oil and battery spec for same engine.png

The only grade of oil they show for their Dealer only toughest GT is SAE 30 or SAE 5W30, API SJ-SN, oil capacity 2L. I'm sure the motor will be fine with this grade except that The manufacturer recommends up to SAE 40 for hot temp and has no recommendation for SAE5W30. The API is SF, SG, SH, SJ, or SL, Where is SN? Right not recommended for the Kawasaki FR730V motor, but Husqvarna can't seem to read the data from Kawasaki's publish data. The oil capacity without filter change is 1.8L and with filter change, 2.1L. This is Kawasaki's owner's manual for the FR651V, FR691V, and FR730V in PDF from Kawasaki's web page below,

kawa oil capacity.png

kawasaki manual oil.png

The battery size recommended from Kawasaki in the same manual,

kawasaki battery spec.png

Again Husqvarna,

husq oil and battery spec for same engine.png

Maybe the difference is not noticed much, but when it comes to longevity of the motors stator and Husqvarna as a company giving you their best (the line they sell their customers), or at least giving you the customer the correct information for maintenance, this is just one more discrepancy. When adding up all the misinformation together......... well.....again.....

Beware of Husqvarna Garden Tractors!

As a note, they still won't talk to me, after I did the work to prove them wrong in their denial answers, to include their Tuff Torq deception I talked with Tuff Torq about the capabilities of the K66 (mis-representing Tuff Torq in a legal answer, denial of warranty).

I followed oil recommendations from john deere since they are the ones supplying the warranty.

But they match Kawasaki. 10w30 is what I go for in john deere oil I instead of sae30.

Although manual recommends 8 hours for first oil change. John deere 10. Kawaski says Oil every 100 and filters every 200. John deere just states once a season.

I followed oil recommendations from john deere since they are the ones supplying the warranty.

But they match Kawasaki. 10w30 is what I go for in john deere oil I instead of sae30.

Although manual recommends 8 hours for first oil change. John deere 10. Kawaski says Oil every 100 and filters every 200. John deere just states once a season.

That's interesting, and I agree that it is better to go with the one supplying the warranty. So far I haven't heard John Deere building into their warranty the "option" to deny warranty at their "discretion" or without cause like Husqvarna, so a John Deere warranty is still valuable.

I'm guessing the average consumer use is 100 hrs or less? If it is, then John Deere is still encouraging more frequent oil filter changes than Kawasaki by recommending once a season as a minimum, not a bad recommendation. I think more frequently (especially in sandy/ dusty conditions) is good practice.

Because of the heat I use 10W40 Amsoil Synthetic most of the year and will go to 10W30 in the winter, I don't notice an increase in oil consumption with the multi grades as is cautioned by Kawasaki, if there is it has been very minimal so far.

I'm above 50 hours for this season so far. Every 100 hours would be 2 years and filters every 4.

I'm doing oil every year and transaxle every year. Overkill? Yes. My piece of mind is worth it!

Only warranty issue I've had is the display screen. It fogged over. Took it in and they didn't say a word. Put a new one in and off I went!

I have an update/ experiment to start right now with this screen shot as proof. They don't like bad reviews on their web site, I've watched them take the reviews down, so as to artificially make their tractors look like they are great.

So here we go. I will keep at this until we find what it takes to get a review to stay. husqvarna review proof on their site.png

I would like to show that video, It would be unwise to show it publicly, I need a confidentiality statement to be signed, The video would demonstrate my security camera capabilities. I am waiting for that opportunity but Husqvarna won't go there.

Here is a picture of the new TShusq example 1.png

Notice the ground engaging snowblower with tire chains on?

This is very slick of Husqvarna, they don't say their TS is capable of ground engagement work any more, look at what they did, other than the picture that represents ground engagement work that the 26lb pan style 12 gauge frame can't do.

ts 2.png

Notice they don't say it is capable of ground engagement work, just the transmission. The powerful picture combined with a little ignorance and the transaxle be ground engaging creates a false picture of this tractor. Husqvarna mis-represents their product.

This next one is Husqvarna telling a potential customer that the TS can handle a plow, yet where do they say the TS is rated for ground engaging work. If someone thinks I'm splitting hairs, think about the warranty claim that they will split atoms over not honoring the warranty.

ts3.png

These guys make lawyers proud, notice all their riding mowers now, what? The little grass cutters too?

This is classic

scoop2.png

Notice that tire chains and wheel weights are recommended but they said to me in an email denying my warranty claim that the K66 was not able to handle the heavier loads of wheel weights, or other traction devices but the turf tires that the tractor was equipped with, what?

look at this next one,

scoop1.png

This ground engaging husqvarna scoop (made by agri fab for craftsman too) is for all tractors after 2006! really? If someone read this and burned out there K46 or buckled there frame with it, what do you think Husqvarna would say?

Also bucket can be used for levelling? that's more force that using it as a scoop, dragging it over uneven ground with pulls from side to side on that tiny grass cutting frame! Think they will honor that warranty?

Husqvarna misrepresents their product! I have so much more. I'm currently looking at a way to convert the body to a flip up like the old gilson for transaxle maintance, but as I need a break I'll keep posting the deception.

Last edited:
Back