CC/MTD 2166

I hope it works out good for you wether you keep it or flip it. We all know these Cubs, JD’s and others from box stores are the cheaper made tractors. I have found out since I got my LT1050 from a friend for free that a lot of these tractors that came from dealers are much better made. Yours is at least 19 years old, I’m thinking you’ll have a good dependable grass cutter once fixed. The one I have has a dealership decal on it and the PO said it was always serviced by them until he tried and got frustrated with it. That hump for the drive shaft on yours is clever still giving you a pass through entry which I like.

That’s weird a lot of those shaft drive Cubs almost free around here. You can also see them sitting as scrap in yards or fields. I’ve been curious about why so many of these have so many problems. They look like they are built well.

The ones I see all have decks that are just beyond repair. My buddy gave me one several years ago. It ran flawlessly but the deck was rotted, bent and a replacement was way over priced. He bought another tractor. Another buddy gave me one that wouldn't run, the starter was bad, and the valves were in desperate need of adjustment. Ran like a top after that.

I made a decent amount of cash off both. Sold the engine and rear end from the one with the bad deck, sold the whole tractor on the other. Still have wheel weights and chains from both of those sitting in dads shed.

The ones I see all have decks that are just beyond repair. My buddy gave me one several years ago. It ran flawlessly but the deck was rotted, bent and a replacement was way over priced. He bought another tractor. Another buddy gave me one that wouldn't run, the starter was bad, and the valves were in desperate need of adjustment. Ran like a top after that.
[/QUOTE
Yeah I see a lot of these LT’s for sale with no deck. It’s a shame and like you mentioned the deck alone if you can find one costs more than the tractor.
The deck on my Cub LT1050 is a 50” and actually designed to drive over top of it to mount and dismount. I haven’t tried that yet but I know it’s a beast to drag out the side.

Some guy that just parted these newer tractors told me there is a demand for repaired tractors vs buying new. Rather than parting out he is swapping parts to one or another and selling them as repaired running tractors. Funny thing is other than running bad the worst thing that hurts a sale is a bad seat.

Some guy that just parted these newer tractors told me there is a demand for repaired tractors vs buying new. Rather than parting out he is swapping parts to one or another and selling them as repaired running tractors. Funny thing is other than running bad the worst thing that hurts a sale is a bad seat.
I can see that as an issue.

I must say the low rpm thumping of my 48 year old 16hp Briggs is still music to my ears.
I always loved the sound of an Onan twin resonating, but these days I love the sound of diesel power even more! But I have to admit, the thump of a gas single still is music for the soul, especially when you're running lower rpm's and letting her lug down a bit!

Back