CC/MTD 2166

Back at 17yrs of age I rode my Honda twin down to Bowling Green to Beech Bend Dragway. I pulled the mufflers to sound all mighty and powerful. First thing I did when I got home was to put the mufflers back on. I think the ringing in my ears today was due to that ride down there! :rolleyes:

Finally got the last part in for this little mower. Had some grass to try it out. Quietest mower I have ever been on. Engine was louder than the deck. Goes home soon.
The Cub 2146 in my shop is also a quiet but sweet sounding machine as well. It was brought to me for the choke cable that locked up. Special cable that clips in and you can't use a universal choke cable as you can't reach into the recess to tighten a nut. That choke cable is $50! I cut the z bend off and pulled the wire out. Blew penetrating oil down the housing and blew it clean, then sanded the wire, lubed it up with copper anti-seize and worked like new again. Put new z-bend in was almost done. His throttle wire from governor arm to carb was held by bread ties and I couldn't find the plastic clip online. The ones for most Kohlers wouldn't fit the fatter wire this has, so using little drill bits I opened up the Kohler clip and works like a charm. He's picking tractor up Monday. I need to mow my yard tomorrow and I think I'll use it a little bit just to see how she does.

Kind of funny how at our age a nice quiet running mower is nice, unlike a number of years back when more noise seemed to fit the bill

At some point that turns around. Being only in my late 30s I don’t like loud. A guy at work told me I needed to put some after market exhaust on my motorcycle. “You can’t hear it” he said. I enjoy that I can roll down the road and just hear basically the tires on the pavement.

I always loved the sound of an Onan twin resonating, but these days I love the sound of diesel power even more! But I have to admit, the thump of a gas single still is music for the soul, especially when you're running lower rpm's and letting her lug down a bit!
Daniel I don’t have an Onan up and running yet. I have a JD 318 that I need to put back together. I got it from a friend in boxes. I’m anxious to hear it run.

Back