Dug these two snowthrowers out

IHCubCadet147

Tractorologist
I found these two snowthrowers while I was cleaning at work last week. I knew they were back there, but haven’t seen them for years. We have been piling radiators and other scrap in that corner and these eventually got buried. The first one is a 20” Craftsman Eager-1. I would guess it’s from the mid 70s, but I can’t find a serial number on it. It has a newer 5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine on it. I kind of wish it still had the original Tecumseh, but the Briggs is probably a better engine anyways. The last time that ran was probably around 2012. From what I remember it ran good. I cleaned the carburetor, it was nasty inside, but cleaned up good. I ordered a rebuild kit for it, that should be here Monday, then I can try to start it.
10C6B75C-C347-4E28-AFA3-75AFCF69846D.jpeg6DE7C7AF-CB51-4108-9238-B4BFACC5D06C.jpeg3CB3A20B-B44C-4202-BBA0-42AAD75A663C.jpegA9112A95-7D54-4280-8CF6-76ABE89729EB.jpeg6AB0896B-C954-4398-9C4D-FAD413BB0496.jpeg32921A56-1906-4769-B43E-BA34351E7B1A.jpegE981A476-6992-4842-9212-942FAF2316EC.jpeg
The second one is a little two stroke Toro S-200. Not sure when that last ran, it was probably much longer. My dad said the motor in it may be blown, but he doesn’t remember. I took the carb off that and it was surprisingly really clean inside, so I put it back on. I’m going to mix some gas and try to start it later. It looks rough, most of the plastic is broken, and from what my dad told me, it never worked that great, even when it was new. Probably not worth spending a lot of time and money on, but I figure if it runs maybe I can at least use the engine for something.
50C8969B-2B4C-4ADE-AC13-A85016068B04.jpegEA412B74-AFF7-4424-A6EE-2FC64815ABF1.jpeg

I found these two snowthrowers while I was cleaning at work last week. I knew they were back there, but haven’t seen them for years. We have been piling radiators and other scrap in that corner and these eventually got buried. The first one is a 20” Craftsman Eager-1. I would guess it’s from the mid 70s, but I can’t find a serial number on it. It has a newer 5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine on it. I kind of wish it still had the original Tecumseh, but the Briggs is probably a better engine anyways. The last time that ran was probably around 2012. From what I remember it ran good. I cleaned the carburetor, it was nasty inside, but cleaned up good. I ordered a rebuild kit for it, that should be here Monday, then I can try to start it.
View attachment 76052View attachment 76054View attachment 76060View attachment 76053View attachment 76057View attachment 76058View attachment 76059
The second one is a little two stroke Toro S-200. Not sure when that last ran, it was probably much longer. My dad said the motor in it may be blown, but he doesn’t remember. I took the carb off that and it was surprisingly really clean inside, so I put it back on. I’m going to mix some gas and try to start it later. It looks rough, most of the plastic is broken, and from what my dad told me, it never worked that great, even when it was new. Probably not worth spending a lot of time and money on, but I figure if it runs maybe I can at least use the engine for something.
View attachment 76055View attachment 76056
Trying to figure out that clutch setup. Does it have forward and reverse ? And obviously you have to rev it up to do anything as far move or make the auger turn.?
I bet that Craftsman is in the 60s.

I agree, Bill. I have only had 3 walk behind snowblowers but never saw one with a centrifugal clutch and chain drive. 2 were old and my current one is newer.

Nice step back into time finding these old snowblowers, Cub! Good luck getting them running!

DAC

Trying to figure out that clutch setup. Does it have forward and reverse ? And obviously you have to rev it up to do anything as far move or make the auger turn.?
I bet that Craftsman is in the 60s.
I’m not sure if everything on it is still original besides the engine, and I’m not finding much info or pictures online to compare. Yes, it has forward and reverse. When I took the carb off, the throttle lever was not hooked to it. I assume it was set to run at full throttle all the time. It looks like there should have been a clutch lever on the handle, but it is no longer there. There is a lever on the left side that I assume is for the clutch, but it doesn’t seem to do anything. I’ll have to look at it closer later and get some more pictures.
4B0E6FC7-005F-4FDB-BF81-F388FF63CC8E.jpeg

I had a Toro just like it. Hated it. Total junk. The funky coat hanger pull handle was the choke. It spewed out black smoke all the time while it ran. GAG GAG GAG.
:rolleyes:
I think that handle is supposed to angle the deflectors left or right, but it’s broken. There is a small knob for the choke, but it doesn’t work right.
I agree, Bill. I have only had 3 walk behind snowblowers but never saw one with a centrifugal clutch and chain drive. 2 were old and my current one is newer.

Nice step back into time finding these old snowblowers, Cub! Good luck getting them running!

DAC
Thanks Doug. I did try staring the Toro, and after about 20 pulls I quit for the night. I’m not giving up on it just yet, but I‘m not going to spend too much more time on it.

I’m not sure if everything on it is still original besides the engine, and I’m not finding much info or pictures online to compare. Yes, it has forward and reverse. When I took the carb off, the throttle lever was not hooked to it. I assume it was set to run at full throttle all the time. It looks like there should have been a clutch lever on the handle, but it is no longer there. There is a lever on the left side that I assume is for the clutch, but it doesn’t seem to do anything. I’ll have to look at it closer later and get some more pictures.
View attachment 76099
It took some hunting to find a machine like yours. Many are the 22-inch and have more options with the hand levers.

1701390981357.png

1701391010224.png1701391032658.png

1701391050230.png

1701391086313.png

1701391103294.png

1701391123285.png

The one Brett found has a chain final drive, but uses a belt with a tensioner pulley rather than a centrifugal clutch for the primary drive off the engine pto.

DAC
Almost got me wondering about the centrifugal clutch now. Like maybe was put on there to make it somewhat useable because other parts were broke or got missing.?

It took some hunting to find a machine like yours. Many are the 22-inch and have more options with the hand levers.

View attachment 76119

View attachment 76120View attachment 76121

View attachment 76122

View attachment 76123

View attachment 76124

View attachment 76125
Thanks for finding that. It does look very similar other than the chain/belt setup. I guess mine was probably them same originally. It does have a different model number though, mine is 536.90550.

Oh, and I only could find the Ops manual for the 24-inch width size.

I think that manual is for a different blower, but may still have some good info in it.
The one Brett found has a chain final drive, but uses a belt with a tensioner pulley rather than a centrifugal clutch for the primary drive off the engine pto.

DAC

Almost got me wondering about the centrifugal clutch now. Like maybe was put on there to make it somewhat useable because other parts were broke or got missing.?
Yeah, I think you are right. I was thinking all along that did not look factory, but wasn’t sure. The guy my dad got it from used to work at a small engine shop. I wonder if he got it with parts missing and pieced it together with stuff they had laying around. I guess as long as it works, I’ll leave it as is.

A few more pictures:
F9E10655-E0B1-4069-BD67-242C4B412547.jpegCA2BCB47-9676-4BC1-8C89-CF3728219B59.jpegAB645DBE-F55C-4713-8FFE-EAC9E0297C6F.jpeg56334823-9094-4745-B721-3F09C82FA314.jpeg

Thanks for finding that. It does look very similar other than the chain/belt setup. I guess mine was probably them same originally. It does have a different model number though, mine is 536.90550.

I think that manual is for a different blower, but may still have some good info in it.

Yeah, I think you are right. I was thinking all along that did not look factory, but wasn’t sure. The guy my dad got it from used to work at a small engine shop. I wonder if he got it with parts missing and pieced it together with stuff they had laying around. I guess as long as it works, I’ll leave it as is.

A few more pictures:
View attachment 76139View attachment 76140View attachment 76141View attachment 76142
Pros/Cons of chain drive vs belt drive. For your machine, chain seems practically better.

But not sure how the clutch is going to be when it built up with snow..covered would help.
Fabbing a cover depends on one's skills. I can do one with out of a plastic sheet, heat gun and wooden blocks.
My son is a welder. Well, he's started doing this on the job. Already light years ahead of me. He's good with the angle grinder too. So if it were my machine, I would let him give it a try as the classic machine is all metal. A plastic cover is so 90s and way to out of era for the machine.

But not sure how the clutch is going to be when it built up with snow..covered would help.
Fabbing a cover depends on one's skills. I can do one with out of a plastic sheet, heat gun and wooden blocks.
My son is a welder. Well, he's started doing this on the job. Already light years ahead of me. He's good with the angle grinder too. So if it were my machine, I would let him give it a try as the classic machine is all metal. A plastic cover is so 90s and way to out of era for the machine.
I could make a cover if I have too. We’ll see how it does. The engine is from the 90s, so a plastic cover wouldn’t be too out of place. I would probably use metal though.

I got it running, it started on the second pull. I only let it run for a couple seconds, but it sounded good, the auger spins and it moves forward and back. Now I just have to change the oil and fix the tire chains that are falling off, and it will be ready to try it out if we ever get snow.

I tried running it again, I wanted to warm it up and change the oil. It would only run for a few seconds and die. The inside of the fuel line was disintegrating and blocked. I should have just put new ones on when I cleaned the carb, but I didn’t. Now I put new ones on and it’s running great. I changed the oil, and straightened out the tire chains. Now it’s ready to go if we ever get any snow. I wiped some of the dust off it too. I guess now I have to play with the Toro a little more and see if that will run.
CC3CC5F2-FAA0-4431-8DF7-8092D96737E1.jpeg

Back