Dug these two snowthrowers out

On the subject of snowblowers, I got my Ariens that I use at home out over the weekend and got it running. Just put fresh gas in and it started right up. I have to change the pull start rope since it broke last year. It has 120v electric start, which works great, just not convenient if I have to shut it off or it stalls and I’m not near some where to plug it in. I should probably change the oil in it too.
DDC02C48-2AE3-4C41-B43C-2B45D76E1BB3.jpeg

On the subject of snowblowers, I got my Ariens that I use at home out over the weekend and got it running. Just put fresh gas in and it started right up. I have to change the pull start rope since it broke last year. It has 120v electric start, which works great, just not convenient if I have to shut it off or it stalls and I’m not near some where to plug it in. I should probably change the oil in it too.
View attachment 76610
Had an old Ariens similar to that ( a little smaller) at one time. Nice machines they are. Never plugged up..
Those older Ariens have a cult like following..

Had an old Ariens similar to that ( a little smaller) at one time. Nice machines they are. Never plugged up..
Those older Ariens have a cult like following..
This is the 8hp version, I think they had a 5hp one too. My neighbor gave it to me a few years ago. He said if I didn’t take it he was just going to scrap it. He went to get it ready in the fall, and when it didn’t start, he decided it was time to upgrade to a newer, bigger one. There was nothing really wrong with it, I just had to clean the carburetor and sand the points and it fired right up. I was thinking about just getting it running and selling it, until I did some research. Now I would like to find some of the other attachments they had available for them.

Nice job getting the snowblower running! It cleaned up nicely. Your Ariens looks like a very capable machine too, Cub. Nice taking something someone would scrap and getting it usable again. Most of the time it doesn't take much money, just a little elbow grease!

DAC

Nice job getting the snowblower running! It cleaned up nicely. Your Ariens looks like a very capable machine too, Cub. Nice taking something someone would scrap and getting it usable again. Most of the time it doesn't take much money, just a little elbow grease!

DAC
Thanks. So far all the Ariens cost me was a belt, carb kit, and starter rope. Obviously gas and oil too. I was surprised how far it throws snow. Just as good, or better than the much newer Troy-Bilt that my grandfather had.
Interesting read for anyone into Ariens..

I have seen those before, great resources. That’s how I determined mine was a 1974.

Had this little guy pictured below a dozen or more years. 4hp, 20" wide. Really nice machine. Though the tires sucked a little it still ran through most everything. Sold it a couple years ago when we had loads of snow and snowblowers were hard to come by (and expensive). Got a good dollar for it. Almost miss it. Almost....
IMG_20191129_101919.jpg

Nice snowblowers there Nick, glad you got the Craftsman one running. My stepdad actually has the same one he got for free from his radiator rebuild guy. He got it about a month ago and hasn’t touch it yet but I’m pretty sure it’s bigger than yours is. I will get some pictures when I can. Did you get that 2 stroke Toro running yet? I used to have the same one I got from my grandfather a couple years ago, and sold it. It wasn’t nearly cracked as yours was, it was actually in really good shape. It didn’t take much at all to get it running, it’s been about 2 years since I had it and sold it so I don’t exactly remember what I did to get it running. I think I just threw some gas in it and primed it. I think I got a $100 for it. That’s a nice Ariens too, I’m REALLY glad you saved it from the scrapyard and gave it another life. As Bill said, they have quite a following. It seems a lot of people want em. My stepdad must have at least 8 of those snowblowers. Sad thing too is thats what people (but mostly in our generation) do today, it don’t work throw it out. I’m not like that though, I like the old stuff and have a lot of things I PROBABLY don’t need and don’t throw many things out. I guess you can blame my grandfathers brother for that though. My stepdads brother works at the recycling depot in town and he’s got A TON of stuff that was barely used. Anyway best of luck with the snowblowers, I’m looking forward to hearing more updates hopefully soon.

Interesting read for anyone into Ariens..

Thanks for the links Bill, that’s some useful information. I’ll look at it and share it with my stepdad as he has about 8 of these snowblowers.

Nice snowblowers there Nick, glad you got the Craftsman one running. My stepdad actually has the same one he got for free from his radiator rebuild guy. He got it about a month ago and hasn’t touch it yet but I’m pretty sure it’s bigger than yours is. I will get some pictures when I can. Did you get that 2 stroke Toro running yet? I used to have the same one I got from my grandfather a couple years ago, and sold it. It wasn’t nearly cracked as yours was, it was actually in really good shape. It didn’t take much at all to get it running, it’s been about 2 years since I had it and sold it so I don’t exactly remember what I did to get it running. I think I just threw some gas in it and primed it. I think I got a $100 for it. That’s a nice Ariens too, I’m REALLY glad you saved it from the scrapyard and gave it another life. As Bill said, they have quite a following. It seems a lot of people want em. My stepdad must have at least 8 of those snowblowers. Sad thing too is thats what people (but mostly in our generation) do today, it don’t work throw it out. I’m not like that though, I like the old stuff and have a lot of things I PROBABLY don’t need and don’t throw many things out. I guess you can blame my grandfathers brother for that though. My stepdads brother works at the recycling depot in town and he’s got A TON of stuff that was barely used. Anyway best of luck with the snowblowers, I’m looking forward to hearing more updates hopefully soon.
Thanks. His is probably the two stage version, mine is single stage. I’m looking forward to the pictures. I haven’t done anything else with the Toro yet. I put some gas in it and pulled the rope a few times and it didn’t start. It has spark, I think the carburetor needs to be cleaned, or it’s blown up. I’ll mess with it a little more sometime soon. I would love to see some pictures of your stepdad’s Ariens collection too if possible. Does he have any of the other attachments they had for them?

I would love to see some pictures of your stepdad’s Ariens collection too if possible. Does he have any of the other attachments they had for them?

Here are some pictures as requested Nick. 3 of them have electric plug in start, and 2 have tire chains. I’m NOT sure about any other attachments or options on them, I would have to look again and post an update. I also miscounted by the way, he has 6 of them NOT 8. 2 of them are also currently for sale if anyone is interested.

66ED42F5-0FAD-47FC-A530-F0FB6FD7ECD5.jpeg

0B32C73C-366F-4086-8877-7A546D19664F.jpeg

1E189E7A-F029-4A86-BD22-A7C6AAED7FFE.jpeg

9A491C53-B8D5-474B-A948-4A07D2A07821.jpeg

A4A329CF-750E-4FF3-B40C-EF37BB7DC85C.jpeg

010F3584-ABCC-418A-9B95-73364F5E121B.jpeg

3F879A3B-5EF8-4EE1-98A9-286EB2C9A8E1.jpeg

AA7F3529-68C6-4D53-83A4-41F572F8E6BC.jpeg

AFEC21BE-EB43-401F-B712-A944AF86726E.jpeg

6E8AB08B-33A3-4214-A5B4-2F03946E4E1D.jpeg

You are correct, its the 2 stage version. It also has tire chains. It will be for sale at some point if anyone is interested, when it is I will post it. Here are some pictures…..

View attachment 78331

View attachment 78338

View attachment 78339

View attachment 78340

View attachment 78343

View attachment 78344

View attachment 78345
Here are some pictures as requested Nick. 3 of them have electric plug in start, and 2 have tire chains. I’m NOT sure about any other attachments or options on them, I would have to look again and post an update. I also miscounted by the way, he has 6 of them NOT 8. 2 of them are also currently for sale if anyone is interested.

View attachment 78347

View attachment 78348

View attachment 78349

View attachment 78350

View attachment 78351

View attachment 78352

View attachment 78353

View attachment 78354

View attachment 78357

View attachment 78358
Nice machines, thanks for the pictures!

I got to try it in a wet snow yesterday. I found one small issue. Since it was wet, it wouldn’t throw far, and the snow would fall down and build up in front of the chain with the chute pointed to the left. It worked alright, but the chain would fling the snow up into my face. I think I’m going to have to make a chain guard for it. It did a good job otherwise. Better than my Ariens would have done in a snow like that.
546AF6BB-5DB1-4DFA-8538-D6C41F60D4E7.jpegC40F5B8A-49C9-4ED9-9D59-FB4482A0E959.jpegAD8C7D5E-10D5-455F-82A7-F5E4CE25AFD0.jpeg

I got to try it in a wet snow yesterday. I found one small issue. Since it was wet, it wouldn’t throw far, and the snow would fall down and build up in front of the chain with the chute pointed to the left. It worked alright, but the chain would fling the snow up into my face. I think I’m going to have to make a chain guard for it. It did a good job otherwise. Better than my Ariens would have done in a snow like that.
View attachment 78648View attachment 78649View attachment 78650
Looks like that centrifugal clutch setup is going to work fine, Cub! Shouldn't take too much work to make a guard.

DAC

Back